daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Glasgow Metro Area

Glasgow Metro Area Architecture, Design and Urban Issues in Glasgow

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 24th, 2016, 02:25 AM   #441
Roddy_

Likes (Received): 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxliving View Post
Stallan-Brand in conjunction with M-Rad Architecture are behind this.
I knew they were both contributing to the LAGI project, I take it they've been commissioned to deliver the masterplan too?
http://www.landartgenerator.org/glasgow/index.html

After a wee bit of digging I've found this illustrative plan from this document dated November last year so should be reasonably up to date. Surprised that this has not been trumpeted or brandished by those developing the site. http://www.landartgenerator.org/glas...esentation.pdf

[IMG][/IMG]

This website is useless- not been updated for years...http://www.glasgowcanal.co.uk/regene...ts/port-dundas

indiekid liked this post

Last edited by Roddy_; January 24th, 2016 at 02:35 AM.
Roddy_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 24th, 2016, 12:12 PM   #442
milton

Likes (Received): 1037

Thanks Roddy. I'd really like more density but with clear wide boulevards allowing views from the centre right out.
milton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 12:29 PM   #443
Charlie_

Likes (Received): 3711

Close the blocks!!!
Charlie_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 05:58 PM   #444
leftmidfielder

Likes (Received): 18

Jewson Warehouse
by Jay Mansfield, on Flickr

Walked past the Jewson warehouse on Craighall Road. Trying to work out if this is softstrip demolition, or something else?

Also, with regard to the image Roddy posted above, I can see the residents of Speirs Wharf welcoming what appears to be a link bridge to High Craighall Road with open arms...
leftmidfielder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 06:36 PM   #445
crusty_bint
control yourself

Likes (Received): 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_ View Post
Close the blocks!!!
this plan doesn't look so bad but YES - please! i am sick to death of this new urbanist is it public/is it private/am i allowed to be here shit. it creates estates of nervous pedestrians and curtain twitchers with huge maintenance fees and 101 on speed-dial...
The old coats are discarded. The old ice is loosed. The old seeds are awake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
crusty_bint no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 06:41 PM   #446
Charlie_

Add to that complaint that you can't possibly frame a proper urban street without a continuous streetwall; it makes 4 storey tenenents at laurieston feel suburban
Old January 24th, 2016, 06:48 PM   #447
crusty_bint
control yourself

Likes (Received): 343

zacly! but hey, feck thousands of years of accumulated knowledge and experience of urban living and space creation, who needs that when you have unusable strips of dog shit strewn grass and shrub. keepssumbdyinnajoabahspose...
The old coats are discarded. The old ice is loosed. The old seeds are awake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
crusty_bint no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:53 PM   #448
djmaxliving
silent

Likes (Received): 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy_ View Post
I knew they were both contributing to the LAGI project, I take it they've been commissioned to deliver the masterplan too?
http://www.landartgenerator.org/glasgow/index.html

After a wee bit of digging I've found this illustrative plan from this document dated November last year so should be reasonably up to date. Surprised that this has not been trumpeted or brandished by those developing the site. http://www.landartgenerator.org/glas...esentation.pdf

[IMG][/IMG]

This website is useless- not been updated for years...http://www.glasgowcanal.co.uk/regene...ts/port-dundas
November was when they had the sited visit. My images are completely different from the ones shown above, dense building towards the canal front, with industrial use behind them. Sorry no images.

It looks quite a solid design, not sure if it's realistic. Considering they can't even get student accommodation built up here.
djmaxliving no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 01:14 AM   #449
Pious Fraud

Likes (Received): 1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAshAsh View Post

Some kick ass views from up that hill...

https://goo.gl/maps/CBgeJ1eVLyn

This view would have been so much better if it had been photographed from higher up. But that's one of the problems with Glasgow as things presently stand: one can never get up high enough in the place. For example, when I look out over the city from the observation room in the Lighthouse I sometimes find myself muttering through clenched teeth:

'Christ. For a few storeys more!'

~o0o~

What Glasgow is sadly lacking is an impressively tall building, especially in its central district, something fifty storeys or more with a skydeck, restaurant and bar, all of which afford commanding views over the city centre and far beyond; somewhere you can contemplate Glasgow from a great height over a civilised refreshment - say, a Mata Hari with a rosebud in it; somewhere you can transform the city in your mind's eye to your heart's content, demolishing and rebuilding this or that part of it in between taking gentlemanly sips from your drink and, once this has been done, sit back and delight in the picture you have created in your head which, of course, will be infinitely superior to what was there before, infinitely superior to the unsatisfactory reality that existed prior to this magnificent mental feat, a feat for which no one will thank you, but what does it matter to you whether callous bastards thank you or not, for you are far up above them where you belong, a remote and contented being in whom noble impulses have gained complete ascendancy over base ones; somewhere that will give newcomers to the city a tremendous perspective on the Dear Green Place in a single visit; somewhere you can grab them by the hair, press their faces against the window and say: 'Ecce Glasgow. Look upon its insane beauty, you dogs, and tremble!'

~o0o~

'One of these days you guys are going to get a real building.'

Charlie_, Monkey9000 liked this post
Pious Fraud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 01:42 AM   #450
Roddy_

Likes (Received): 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxliving View Post
My images are completely different from the ones shown above, dense building towards the canal front, with industrial use behind them. Sorry no images.
Roddy_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 11:08 AM   #451
Charlie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pious Fraud View Post

This view would have been so much better if it had been photographed from higher up. But that's one of the problems with Glasgow as things presently stand: one can never get up high enough in the place. For example, when I look out over the city from the observation room in the Lighthouse I sometimes find myself muttering through clenched teeth:

'Christ. For a few storeys more!'

~o0o~

What Glasgow is sadly lacking is an impressively tall building, especially in its central district, something fifty storeys or more with a skydeck, restaurant and bar, all of which afford commanding views over the city centre and far beyond; somewhere you can contemplate Glasgow from a great height over a civilised refreshment - say, a Mata Hari with a rosebud in it; somewhere you can transform the city in your mind's eye to your heart's content, demolishing and rebuilding this or that part of it in between taking gentlemanly sips from your drink and, once this has been done, sit back and delight in the picture you have created in your head which, of course, will be infinitely superior to what was there before, infinitely superior to the unsatisfactory reality that existed prior to this magnificent mental feat, a feat for which no one will thank you, but what does it matter to you whether callous bastards thank you or not, for you are far up above them where you belong, a remote and contented being in whom noble impulses have gained complete ascendancy over base ones; somewhere that will give newcomers to the city a tremendous perspective on the Dear Green Place in a single visit; somewhere you can grab them by the hair, press their faces against the window and say: 'Ecce Glasgow. Look upon its insane beauty, you dogs, and tremble!'

~o0o~

'One of these days you guys are going to get a real building.'
I've always thought a west facing vantage on the '17 acres' site would be the perfect spot for a view like that. Itd hardly have to be outlandishly tall, either....a restaurant on the 20th floor, skybar on the 21st - sorted
Old February 10th, 2016, 06:43 PM   #452
leftmidfielder

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmidfielder View Post
Passed this earlier. Looks like they're recladding the walls and roof with sheet metal, but whether that's long-term or short-term, I could not say.

National Theatre HQ is going very slooooooooowly.
leftmidfielder no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: