daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Social Places and Forum Issues > Sports Center

Sports Center News, photos and discussions of sports events in the Philippines and around the world.

View Poll Results: Will Football ever become popular in the Philippines? And would Filipinos excell in it?
FOR SURE!!! 107 77.54%
NO WAY!!! 31 22.46%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 19th, 2006, 06:47 AM   #1
Sinjin P.
Lingkod-Bayan

Likes (Received): 496

Filipino Athletes and Sports News

SSC Philippines never had a thread that talks about sports (correct me if I am wrong) so I decided to start one.

Let's talk about the games, stars and stats of our favorite sports teams and players, from Wimbledon, the PGA Tour, FIFA, and all the greatest sports leagues from here and around the world.

Sponsored Links

Old February 19th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #2
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 35

Yeah we had sports threads before (Torino for ex. and also even before this, we had a sports thread, probably pruned). But yes, good thread to restart.

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #3
bagel

It's official... Audi makes history.

Audi's R10 is the first diesel powered car to win the 12 Hours of Sebring race. Diesel power! They had pole position but had to start last and in the pit lane because they had some engine trouble before the race began. From last they made it to first.

The V12 TDI Audi went to the pits 12 times onlyh. Its nearest class competitor, with a gasoline powered engine made 18 pitstops. I don't know if this says something about the fuel mileage you can get with a diesel or if this also says something about the durability of a diesel engine. We all know that diesels are powerful engines, but a diesel powered speed machine? Wow.

Last edited by bagel; March 19th, 2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #4
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 11

amazing...never thought you could race with diesels. Are all Audis in Le Mans diesels now?

Formula One: Malaysia Grand Prix 2006 - Fisichella won, Alonso second. Making it a Renault 1-2. Raikkonen crashed out in the first lap
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 03:18 AM   #5
Askal82
woof! woof!

Likes (Received): 247

Wow, I was amazed too. I don't think diesel powered engines can achieve the speeds of the gasoline ones and to think that diesel engines have more complex mechanisms and are heavier.

Silent waters run deep
Askal82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 03:58 AM   #6
bagel

Currently, all factory-supported Audi teams in ALMS are running diesels. This was also their first attempt at running diesels.

There's another team running Audi racecars but they're using last season's R8, which is a gasoline-powered V8. The R8s have had an unbeaten streak in the major endurance races for several years running now.

Old March 27th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #7
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 240

Bump!

Who will head Pilipinas Basketball?
March 26th, 2006

Saying it is a sound suggestion, many are batting for former Sen. Robert Jaworski to head Pilipinas Basketball, the new and unified cage organization that is seeking to regain the country's membership in the international basketball federation (Fiba.)

"Millions of sports-loving Filipinos will surely be proud to see Jaworski lead the country not on the playing court but in the halls of Fiba."

Fiba suspended the Philippines last year after the Philippine Olympic Committee expelled the Fiba-recognized Basketball Association of the Philippines. However, Fiba said the Philippines could return to its fold following a Memorandum of Understanding forged between the POC and Fiba which calls for five major stakeholders (PBA, PBL, UAAP, NCAA and former Sen. Joey Lina, president of the BAP) to form a new organization, in this case, Pilipinas Basketball. The group is set to be admitted as the newest member of the local Olympic family during the POC general assembly meeting tomorrow.

Jaworski, who turned 60 last March 8, is popularly known as the "Living Legend" of Philippine basketball. He owns a remarkable basketball record playing in the now-defunct Manila Industrial Commercial Athletic Association (Micaa) and the Philippine Basketball Association for more than three decades.

He quit the PBA when he was already 52 years old, "the oldest man ever," according to tireless contributor Paul Mortel, "to play pro basketball anywhere in the world."

He was not only a popular player (particularly for crowd favorite Barangay Ginebra) but a topnotch coach as well, winning four titles in the PBA and a silver medal for the Philippine team in the 1990 Asian Games in Beijing.

Other rumored possible Pilipinas Basketball heads are PBA moguls Manny Pangilinan, Henry Cojuangco, George Chua, Wilfred Uytengsu, Bert Lina and Buddy Encarnado. Earlier mentioned was Jun Bernardino, the first PBA commissioner who rose from the ranks.
Old March 27th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #8
charitorae

Likes (Received): 0

And in other basketball news... UCLA is in the Final Four!! Yay!
charitorae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:20 AM   #9
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

So is the University of Florida! GO GATORS!!
Old March 28th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #10
charitorae

Oo nga Kimmy. Dapat magkita tayo sa finals. Go Bruins!
Old March 28th, 2006, 01:10 AM   #11
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Are we making a wager on this Tsari? It would be totally awesome if UF and UCLA meet each other in the Finals.
Old March 28th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #12
charitorae

Hehe, I've never been one to make wagers Kimmy.
Old March 28th, 2006, 01:40 AM   #13
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Then you're fine since I don't too! Of the monetary kind at least.

Let's go Gators! Let's go!

Last edited by kiretoce; March 28th, 2006 at 02:17 AM.
kiretoce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #14
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

IOC backs move for RP’s return to FIBA
By Nick Giongco

SEOUL, South Korea — The Philippines made great inroads in its affiliation with the International Olympic Committee (IOC), whose president Jacques Rogge expressed full support to the Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) during a courtesy call made by Jose “Peping” Cojuangco Jr. on Tuesday afternoon at the COEX Intercontinental Hotel.

Joined by POC First Vice President Monico Puentevella, Secretary General Steve Hontiveros and Legal Counsel Igmedio Tanjuatco, Cojuangco emerged from a 30-minute meeting behind closed doors with Rogge smiling from ear-to-ear.

Rogge, an obstetric and orthopedic surgeon who has a Masters Degree in Sports Medicine at the University of Ghent, assured Cojuangco of the IOC’s support in efforts to resolve the basketball crisis after hearing from the former Tarlac Congressman the details of the expulsion of the Basketball Association of the Philippines by the POC.

Tanjuatco said Rogge is willing to lend a hand in settling the issue as the Philippines is bidding to be reinstated so it could send a team to the 2006 Asian Games in Doha, Qatar.

Because of the suspension, the Philippines was prevented by the FIBA from holding games during the 23rd Southeast Asian Games in Manila apart from participating in the Southeast Asia Basketball Championship in Malaysia.

"The IOC knows about the basketball situation in the country and Pere Miro, the director of the Olympic Solidarity Movement, has been tapped to help us out in this problem," said Hontiveros.

Cojuangco and representatives from the Philippine Basketball Association, Philippine Basketball League, UAAP and NCAA, which formed the so-called basketball stakeholders despite the decision of former Sen. Joey Lina to exclude his name, were scheduled to meet with FIBA Secretary-General Patrick Baumann late Tuesday night.

Regardless of the outcome of the meeting with FIBA, Cojuangco expressed satisfaction over the events that have taken place here the past few days.

"We have been given an audience by key people and this is the main thrust of this trip," said Cojuangco, who arrived here on Saturday to take part in the 15th Association of National Olympic Committees General Assembly and SportAccord.

Rogge, a member of the Belgian sailing team in the 1968 (Mexico), 1972 (Munich) and 1976 (Montreal) Olympics, succeeded Juan Antonio Samaranch of Spain in 2001.

Taking advantage of the opportunity, Cojuangco personally invited Rogge to make a visit to the Philippines sometime in June.

"The IOC president has accepted the invitation but Mr. Rogge will look at his schedule and plan his visit," said Hontiveros.
Old April 4th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #15
bitoy
The Great Northwest

Likes (Received): 223

Talo UCLA ko.... hehehe, Congrats to Gators!
bitoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #16
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Thanks Tsinoy!

Go ORANGE! Go BLUE!
Old April 4th, 2006, 11:29 PM   #17
tigidig14
Mucho Mandingo Papi

i heard they all sucks
tigidig14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 01:49 AM   #18
daDJ
daDJ - da way to go

What about the upcoming Pacquiao fight in Manila? What's the news on that?
Old April 5th, 2006, 04:20 AM   #19
tigidig14
Mucho Mandingo Papi

mag aartista na lang daw sya, walang kapartner si ate shawi
tigidig14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 04:46 AM   #20
demented_pigeon

kahit hindi na lumaban si pacquiao mabubuhay na yun... biruin mo habang hinihintay ko yung mga commercials habang nanonoog ng wowowee, 5 commercials ni pacquiao ang lumabas sunod sunod
demented_pigeon no está en línea   Reply With Quote