SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mumbai | Metro

Tags
mumbai
7M views 34K replies 805 participants last post by  Dahanukarwadi 
#1 · (Edited)
Project Introduction:

The Mumbai metro is a rapid transit system being developed by both the PPP (Public-Private Partnership) and EPC models. Line 1 and Line 2 are being developed with Reliance as the consortium head while Line 3 is going to be developed by an implementation agency called MMRC whose role is similar to the DMRC in the Delhi Metro project.

Phase I
Code:
[B]Line #                Route          Length(Kms) Stations   Special Purpose Vehicle [/B]
Line 1 Versova - Andheri - Ghatkopar   11.4         12      Mumbai Metro One  Pvt. Ltd.
Line 2 Charkop - Bandra - Mankhurd     32           27      Mumbai Metro Transport Pvt. Ltd.
Line 3 SEEPZ - BKC - Colaba            33           25      Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation

Official Website of Line 1

Line 1 Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar - 11.4 Kms - Under Construction

1) GENERAL

o Journey time: 21 minutes
o Frequency: 3.5 minutes, going down to 3 minutes during peak hours
o Fares # (2003-2004 level)
+ Rs. 6 upto 3 Kms.
+ Rs. 8 between 3 Kms.to 8 Kms.
+ Rs. 10 beyond 8 Kms.

# Fares indicated are for 2003-2004 level and shall be revised @ 11% every fourth year (rounded off to the nearest rupee). Fares shall be fixed by Government of Maharashtra, through a notification.

2 ) ALIGNMENT

* The Proposed Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar Metro corridor will be 11.40 Km long double line on elevated viaduct with Standard Gauge (1435 mm)
* The proposed alignment starts at Versova, runs along the JP Road, crosses the SV Road and Western Railway tracks to the North of existing Andheri Suburban Railway Station
* The alignment travels on the MV Road ( Andheri-Kurla Road). It crosses the Western Express Highway (WEH) above the existing flyover and reaches Sakinaka
* From Sakinaka the alignment travels along the Andheri-Ghatkopar link Road upto Asalpha
* After Asalpha, the alignment crosses the Kadam Road and runs through Golibar Road upto LBS Marg after taking almost 90 degrees turn behind the Sarvodaya Hospital
* From the LBS Marg the alignment passes along the Heera Chand Desai Road upto Ghatkopar proposed Metro Station near the Ghatkopar Suburban Railway Station
* The take off point for Car depot is located near proposed DN Nagar Metro Station

3) CIVIL

* Elevated Viaduct with PSC Segmental construction
* Car Depot at DN Nagar
* Ballastless track
* Operational Control Centre (OCC), Metro Head Office and maintenance depots in the Car Depot premises
* There are twelve stations on the route. They are - Versova, D.N. Nagar, Azad Nagar, Andheri, Western Express Highway (WEH), Chakala, Airport Road, Marol Naka, Saki Naka, Subhash Nagar, Asalpha Road, Ghatkopar

4 ) ROLLING STOCK - provided by CSR Nanjing Puzhen Rolling Stock Co. from China

Render:

Actual Train:

The first rake arrived at the GTI port in Mumbai in March 2010:

Line 1 Station Designs:

WEH Station

Versova Station

Line 2 Charkop - Bandra - Mankhurd - 32 Kms - Approved

Line 3 SEEPZ - BKC - Colaba/Cuffe Parade - 33 Kms - Planning stage

Phase 1

Master Plan

See less See more
#4,681 ·
last 3 years...?? 3 yrs of active construction on -site. many more years behind the scene. 2006 is when soil testing started ( from initial pages of this thread).

Also look at Jaipur Metro. for almost similar length of line they are way ahead.
The biggest mistake by Mumbai Metro is Control of MMRDA. was it done by DMRC scenario would have been totally different and the most horrifying thing is MMRDA continues to work in the same fashion for other lines..this way what Delhi achieved in 10 yrs..Mumbai will talke 30 yrs.
... now if only Mumbai roads on selected routes are as big as Delhi's ....

Imagine, for some reason, if DMRC had to construct metro at level or on bridges in the heart of delhi like CS or Connaught place, or thru Karolbagh market (Ajmal Khan Road) - that too as the first line, will DMRC still pull thru within the deadlines ?

#4,682 ·
... now if only Mumbai roads on selected routes are as big as Delhi's ....

Imagine, for some reason, if DMRC had to construct metro at level or on bridges in the heart of delhi like CS or Connaught place, or thru Karolbagh market (Ajmal Khan Road) - that too as the first line, will DMRC still pull thru within the deadlines ?
May be..may be not..but they had already built so many lines..making them an active partner in mumbai metro would have sure helped as it is helping the Jaipur metro. No where I am advocating that DMRC should construct all metros in India, but neglecting their expertise is like re-inventing the wheel and by doing so it's only public who suffers both by extra money and by time.

#4,684 ·
May be..may be not..but they had already built so many lines..making them an active partner in mumbai metro would have sure helped as it is helping the Jaipur metro. No where I am advocating that DMRC should construct all metros in India, but neglecting their expertise is like re-inventing the wheel and by doing so it's only public who suffers both by extra money and by time.
+1 DMRC and MMRDA combined should look into the Metro. I will not have any qualms even if its completely controlled by DMRC.

#4,685 ·
About the completion--

in maharashtra times yesterday news was that MM civil works would be done by nov, cable stayed bridge by aug, E-W bridge at andheri by oct, asalfa station by sept end. then tracklaying and signalling and testing will take 6 months and metro will be ready by May 2012. So 1 more year to go................

#4,686 ·
Complete civil work wont be completed by Diwali 2012 (that too looking at track record of MMRDA looks difficult). Then by Namma Metro experience it will take 6 more months for tests ,opening ticket counters etc etc . March 2013 looks somewhat realistic date.
Completely agree, any thing earlier than that would be a bonus.

#4,687 ·
About the completion--

in maharashtra times yesterday news was that MM civil works would be done by nov, cable stayed bridge by aug, E-W bridge at andheri by oct, asalfa station by sept end. then tracklaying and signalling and testing will take 6 months and metro will be ready by May 2012. So 1 more year to go................
If that happens well and good, but we all know the track record of MMRDA .

#4,689 ·
hmm dude trust me

that metro route goes through some real shit hole areas atleast on the eastern side.

Also the distance between the elevated corridor and some buildings is less than few meters. Which also worried me from a security pov..
Correction: it is few inches in many cases.

MMDRA made a big mistake starting this line.

should have started with Bandra-Kurla-Mankhurd line which had big wide roads along BKC road and even the chumber side which has some space.
IR will be a problem there too. Bandra Station is no different from Andheri Station. In fact it is worse on the eastern side with slums .Without integrating Bandra station,it is of not much use.

I am sure that there are more problems on the eastern side in Line 2 than western side, just like in Line 1. Just that the people are more vocal on western side.

#4,690 ·
IR will be a problem there too.
IR will be not a problem, but a TRIPLE problem for line 2, given that cross-overs are planned at Bandra, Kurla and Mankhurd, two of which are extremely major intersections with issues matching, if not worse than , that of Andheri.

Also, given that we already have SCLR crossing over at Kurla , IR may have double objections to another bridge close by.

Line 2 seems totally doomed. I read today that JICA wants to finance it, and some time ago there was an article saying financial closure is completed. WTF?

#4,692 ·
I read a post saying they will need more than two tracks for Bandra Charkop.
I don't think so.
It is a Metro, dedicated corridor. No switches, no sharing with Long Distance.
Also, there is a reversing track at each end so two will be enough.
I think it might not be a bad idea for the colaba-bandra-charkop section to be quadruple track and for that matter thane-hutatma chowk section too. This will allow for 2 slow lines and 2 express lines on each section. It can take off a lot of the load off the suburban network and the railways can focus more on services to distant destinations like kasara, dahanu, khopoli e.t.c. I f I am recollect correctly NYC has some quadruple tracked metro sections.

#4,693 ·
NYC can do it (quadruple tracks) because it does not operate independent lines. Routes share common lines. So in the city centre where many routes converge, they can have quadruple tracks and double tracks for rest of the city. Elsewhere metro lines are mostly independent of each other which means either complete line has to be quadruple or double, which obviously will almost double the cost. It's better to have 2 different lines with double tracks than a single line with 2 tracks.

#4,694 ·
Decks cleared for racecourse car shed

Published: Friday, Apr 29, 2011, 3:00 IST
By Sudhir Suryawanshi | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA

The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) will change the horse tabela (stable) reservation at Mahalaxmi Racecourse for the construction of the underground metro and monorail parking shed at Mahalaxmi. The corporation will bring the change of reservation proposal in BMC’s improvements committee meeting soon.

According to senior civic officials, the state government’s urban development department has written to the BMC asking to clear all hurdles pertaining to the metro and monorail projects for its early execution. “The MMRDA has asked us to waive the octroi and property tax, and clear illegal construction on the land where the metro route will come up,” he said.

MMRDA will develop an underground car shed in 17 hectares of plot at the Mahalaxmi Racecourse. This car shed facility has been created for metro project III that will connect Colaba, Mahim and Bandra. The route from Colaba to Mahim will be underground and the Mahim to Bandra metro will be elevated. It will consist of Mantralaya, Churchgate, Mahalaxmi, Worli and Mahim stations and this same line will be extended up to the airport at Santa Cruz.

“We are preparing a proposal for change of user from racecourse to other activities. And subsequently, it will be tabled before the BMC’s improvements committee meeting soon. After approval of this committee, the state government will issue a notification inviting suggestions and objections. It will take at least a couple of months to complete the procedure. We are making it our top priority. The proposed car shed will be underground so it will not affect horse races and related activities,” he said.

Initially, the government had identified 28 hectares of land at Backbay Reclamation for the proposed car shed. However, in the feasibility study, it was found that Backbay Reclamation falls under Coastal regulation zone (CRZ) - I where commercial development is restricted. It would also have hampered the ecological balance through soil erosion. In addition, it would have cost much more to rehabilitate the slum dwellers there to acquire the land.

“So, as an alternate place, we identified Mahalaxmi Racecourse. We have had a couple of meetings with the civic chief and hope that things move fast. There should be no delays in the metro project,” said a Mantralaya official.
http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_decks-cleared-for-racecourse-car-shed_1537270

#4,695 ·
MMRDA wants to explore ‘third rail’ system

Published: Friday, Apr 29, 2011, 3:00 IST
By DNA Correspondent | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA

In what could be considered as a major technical change in the design of the rakes of Mumbai metro, the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) has asked the Reliance Infrastructure led consortium constructing the second line of metro to check whether a “third rail” method of traction is more suitable in supplying electricity to the metro operations as compared to a conventional 25 kv AC traction system- which provides supply from above the metro rakes.

MMRDA metropolitan commissioner Rahul Asthana said that the authority wants the Mumbai Metro Transport Pvt Ltd (MMTPL), the Reliance Infrastructure led consortium to check if such a change is possible and feasible. “The Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar (VAG) corridor, which will be the first to be commissioned, will have the normal 25 kv AC traction with pantograph on the head of the metro rakes. However, there is a general perception that this method of providing electric supply may look aesthetically bad. Moreover, the height at which the metro will run makes it even a potential safety issue. Many place through the alignment; it will pass very closely from the nearby buildings- many of them residential. Hence we have asked the MMTPL which will be constructing the Charkop-Bandra-Mankhurd (CBM) metro to check out the third rail methodology,” said Asthana.

Under the third rail methodology, an additional track is laid between the two tracks of up and down metro lines. The third line- more popularly known as “third rail” is a method of providing electric supply to a railway train through a conductor placed alongside or between the rails of a railway track. It is used typically in a mass transit or rapid transit system, which is normally fully segregated from the outside environment. In mist cases, this third rail systems supply direct current (DC) electricity. In contrary to this technique, a pantograph is a device that collects electric current from the overhead lines (which is seen on the suburban trains in Mumbai) and supplies it to the rakes.

According to Asthana, world over the Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS) do use such technique. “It is run on the 750 volts DC power. I am sure if tried in metro, it will make the system much safer as compared to the overhead electrification,” opined the official.

Officials of the Indian Railway evoked mixed reactions over the third rail proposal by MMRDA.
http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_mmrda-wants-to-explore-third-rail-system_1537271

#4,697 ·
While I know you will stone me for this, [People say 3rd Rail is more aesthetic etc. than an overhead catenary].
I don't want Mumbai metro to go for Third Rail ...
Stick to a 25kV OH line.
DUDE why u interfering in mumbai city ur frm bangalore na so why dont u write all dis crap in ur site and they must have thought alot before taking dis matter so ur presence in unethical!!!!!!!!

#4,698 ·
NYC can do it (quadruple tracks) because it does not operate independent lines. Routes share common lines. So in the city centre where many routes converge, they can have quadruple tracks and double tracks for rest of the city. Elsewhere metro lines are mostly independent of each other which means either complete line has to be quadruple or double, which obviously will almost double the cost. It's better to have 2 different lines with double tracks than a single line with 2 tracks.
Why will the cost be double? Especially in case of underground, it will just be laying tracks and providing extra amneties for the increse in volume of passengers. The cost may be utmost 1.5 times, I think. Am I missing something.

Mumbai's geography does not allow another parallel line in the western suburbs to take the volume. It is absolutely useless to pass it through SV Road as Suburban line is pretty close and a part of Metro already runs through it. Further Mumbai's geograophy requires fast lines even within city limits, unlike other cities.

#4,700 ·
Practise what you preach Rohan Punjabi and get your rear end to "your own site" then. The only "crap" I see in this thread is from you.

I'm Hyderabadi living in Dubai and I visit Mumbai more often than I vist Hyderabad. Regardless, to each his own opinion. You can't tell someone to refrain from posting what they think is right.

As far as I know, SSCi is for all Indians - you want to create regionalism good for you. All I can say is that it's not appreciated. Have a good day.