search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2010, 03:00 AM   #121
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
why would you even post that here ? Only a Sick person posts that kind of stuff or even films it
At least it only showed ass wipe. He COULD hav actually taken a s**t and got that on camera as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫ ♪ ♫ CiNnAmOn ♪♫ ♫ View Post
I don't think it's that much of a problem, as long as people don't use the bathrooms in stations; shit is an organic thing that disappears quickly and is good for the environment!
While fecal matter isn't a problem when the train is moving at speed, asswipe is. It doesn't break down right away and when the wind blows, it just adds to the litter problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post
This is the funniest thread I've found so far.
THIS!!!!

Quote:
I've always thought how unpleasant it must be to be a track worker who has to see and have contact with tracks caked in human waste. I'm surprised that various trade unions have not organised strikes in protest at the situation.
It's only at lower speeds that that is a problem where closed toilets are not in use. Track workers know not to walk where the toilets discharge, usually along the edge of the tracks.

Quote:

While the railways are already, as you say, tackling this issue with the gradual replacement of 'old' trains with rolling stock with retention toilets, I do wonder why it has taken so long to get to this stage, given that I'd imagine that retention toilets have been around for decades.

Have they been around for decades?
Cost is the main reason. There's the cost of installing them on existing equipment. Then there's the cost of having to pump out closed toilets, as companies must be contracted at various locations to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Paying toilets are one reason of the bad smell around stations...
To quote Burt Reynolds in Smokey and the Bandit: "Slide under"
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #122
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 20602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post

Cost is the main reason. There's the cost of installing them on existing equipment. Then there's the cost of having to pump out closed toilets, as companies must be contracted at various locations to do this.
Outhouses are far less expensive then sewage systems in cities. Why don't you still use them? Why families in the 10's and 20's spend a lot of money getting rid of them?

Closed toilets surely take away some fleet schedule flexibility of railways: they can't just run a train all day long wherever they want. Instead, they need to make sure services being or end in stations fit with equipment to drain the waste compartments (instead of just having a bunch of cleaning crews going inside with mopers and detergent and brushes).
Old September 13th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #123
K_

Likes (Received): 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Outhouses are far less expensive then sewage systems in cities. Why don't you still use them? Why families in the 10's and 20's spend a lot of money getting rid of them?
I remember learning how the government in my country passed a law after WW II making the installation of bathrooms mandatory... Seems that people did need a bit of pushing.

Quote:
Closed toilets surely take away some fleet schedule flexibility of railways: they can't just run a train all day long wherever they want. Instead, they need to make sure services being or end in stations fit with equipment to drain the waste compartments (instead of just having a bunch of cleaning crews going inside with mopers and detergent and brushes).
Indeed, but a properly run railway has no problem with that. SBB knows where each of it's vehicles is going to be every moment of the day months in advance.
As I'll repeat aging: The issue you're making such a fuss about is mostly a non issue. It's really not a big deal, and it's going away anyway.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #124
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1370

I can clearly say that swedish trains as the X2000 has the most spacious toilets.

The CNL night trains & TGV -toilets are very small.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #125
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

The squat toilet's come far, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reva View Post
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 01:02 AM   #126
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16903

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 01:27 AM   #127
steple

Likes (Received): 1142

If you're actually interested in technology of train toilets, there is a video of Swiss Federal Railway SBB CFF FFS showing some detailed aspects.

Most of the modern trains are equipped with so called bio-reactors, which only have to be emptied every 60 to 120 days, compared to 3 to 5 days for a simple tank. These bio-reactors are working in a similar way to a wastewater treatment plant, the cleaned liquids are released to the tracks.

See from 3:50 (only in German)

steple no está en línea   Reply With Quote