search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2017, 10:35 PM   #2021
roconnor

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavertreelad View Post
Atlantic Conveyor missed the tide today and will now berth at 1330hrs tomorrow to sail 0200hrs 17th May. Indeed she was sole British built example, and when built had additional features to allow her to serve a military role if necessary. Atlantic Cartier was the only French built example and if I remember correctly was delayed entering traffic due to endless strikes at the builders yard. The remaining G3's were all built in Sweden at Kockums AB yard.

Funny you should ask about MSC Maria Laura, and to be honest I can't be sure, but I think she has visited before. However, MSC is to change one of the vessels again on the Liverpool/Antwerp feeder service again with MSC Maria Laura after just one call next week. She will be replaced by the 4043 teu Pohoje (ex Lircay, Ariba ) IMO 9294824 built 2006 which up to beginning on April had been employed on Maersk/MSC NEUATL2 service calling Bremerhaven, Felixstowe, Antwerp, Le Havre, Newark Baltimore, Norfolk, Newark , Bremerhaven which is being upgraded to vessels of about 7000 teu. Four are currently in service a fifth vessel MSC Florida 4425 teu seems to have switched services again, that's twice in a week, and will complete a round trip at least until MSC Spain (ex SM Hong Kong, Hanjin Shenzhen) joins the service in the middle of next month. As a result Maersk/MSC now operate two of their three Trans-Atlantic services to North Europe with vessels of about 7000 teu, leaving the US flagged South Atlantic /US Gulf service operating with vessels of 4500teu which given their flag status is unlikely change in the immediate future

However, MSC operates an independent service to Boston and Philadelphia which continues down to Ecuador via the Panama Canal, before returning to North Europe using vessels of about 4500teu . Interestingly this service currently only shows two vessels from Antwerp up to the first week in June and in the northbound direction there are a couple of blank sailings in the forthcoming eight weeks. Could this be the "Panama" service we are waiting for? There are a number of factors that might suggest it could be, the UK has no direct call on this service and sailing from Liverpool to Boston, Philadelphia, Freeport, Panama before turning at Guayaquil Ecuador and returning directly to Antwerp. As a result their is no eastbound call at Boston and Philadelphia on this service as this is provided by another standalone service operated by MSC which presently calls at London Gateway using vessels of up to 10000 teu. It perhaps might be possible to include Freeport northbound before calling Liverpool and Antwerp which would boost volumes but would require an extra vessel or two to maintain a weekly schedule Whilst MSC could operate the Ecuador service independently, continuing to use vessels of 4500 teu, if Maersk were to join the service if would probably require vessels of about 7000 teu if not more, especially when it gains control of Hamburg Sud who the EU has insisted must leave the CMA-CGM /Hapag Lloyd service to the WCSA. Maersk current service from Guayaquil to North Europe currently employs vessels of about 2500 teu which carry on to call at St Petersburg carrying bananas, which interestingly is the reason for the call at Cork on another Maersk 2500 teu service from Costa Rica to North Europe, remember that quote from Peel "the last bit of the jigsaw" when the BG Freight Lines service was added. There seems little doubt that services to and from the WCSA could be set for re-organisation and given the Peels promotion of trade with the area it could well be that Liverpool2 could be a beneficiary.
As I no longer live in Liverpool,I must endeavour to obtain a screenshot from Wirralcam as Atlantic Conveyor arrives in the river; it might be my last chance! Also,I have a feeling that when she was first built, she was registered in Liverpool.

Thank you for the additional information,I found it most interesting. On the subject of Liverpool 2,do you know whether the remedial work on the terminal has been completed yet?
roconnor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2017, 11:19 PM   #2022
Wavertreelad

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by roconnor View Post
As I no longer live in Liverpool,I must endeavour to obtain a screenshot from Wirralcam as Atlantic Conveyor arrives in the river; it might be my last chance! Also,I have a feeling that when she was first built, she was registered in Liverpool.

Thank you for the additional information,I found it most interesting. On the subject of Liverpool 2,do you know whether the remedial work on the terminal has been completed yet?
I think you are right about Atlantic Conveyor being registered in Liverpool originally, in the meantime you might like this drone footage of Atlantic Conveyor and Atlantic Star in Halifax NS in March.

https://youtu.be/__xD8MJXyEc

The latest I have seen on the remedial work is that it will not be completed until August, the apparent delay being due to need work around the tides.
Wavertreelad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 07:38 AM   #2023
roconnor

Quote:
I think you are right about Atlantic Conveyor being registered in Liverpool originally, in the meantime you might like this drone footage of Atlantic Conveyor and Atlantic Star in Halifax NS in March.

https://youtu.be/__xD8MJXyEc

The latest I have seen on the remedial work is that it will not be completed until August, the apparent delay being due to need work around the tides.
Lovely images of her entering Bedford Basin,she's certainly showing signs of a hard life on the North Atlantic.

Thanks for the L2 info.
Old May 15th, 2017, 01:35 PM   #2024
Portobello Red

Likes (Received): 13943

Atlantic Sky
Pics by Mark Holt

larklanered liked this post
Portobello Red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 03:51 PM   #2025
roconnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portobello Red View Post
Atlantic Sky
Pics by Mark Holt

Very nice.
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:18 PM   #2026
baias

Location: live in a beautiful over 1800 ft high valley in the woodlands some 30 miles from bilbao
Likes (Received): 1018

omg, ships not looking like ships anymore
baias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #2027
roconnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by baias View Post
omg, ships not looking like ships anymore
I agree,they're not particularly pleasing on the eye are they.The finest looking ships in my opinion were the Blue Funnel cargo liners of the 1950s, with their wooden clad wheel houses, central superstructure and broad vertical funnels. However they were slower,carried far less cargo and spent much,much longer in port than modern ships,and at the end of the day it's all about maximising profits and minimising costs ; Still we can dream !!
Old May 25th, 2017, 02:06 PM   #2028
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 181

The cargo is in containers and the containers are in floating containers.......
http://www.wirralwaters.com/
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
http://www.shipais.com/index.php
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.
http://visitliverpool.com/

baias liked this post
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 08:45 PM   #2029
roconnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietari View Post
The cargo is in containers and the containers are in floating containers.......
You've got it in one!

Pietari liked this post
Old May 25th, 2017, 09:23 PM   #2030
Wavertreelad

Peel posted this on social media today.

https://twitter.com/PeelPorts/status/867657225074028546

Follow the link in the Tweet or go to this

http://www.atlantic-conveyor.co.uk/home
Old May 25th, 2017, 11:03 PM   #2031
roconnor

[QUOTE=Wavertreelad;140276252]Peel posted this on social media today.

https://twitter.com/PeelPorts/status/867657225074028546

I remember seeing her laid up in Liverpool prior to her call-up for the MOD as a STUFT vessel.It will feel like the end of an era when her replacement heads off to Alang in the next few months.

I was rather hoping that one of the new G4's would carry on the name,but perhaps it's best to let it die.

Last edited by roconnor; June 22nd, 2017 at 07:39 AM.
Old June 21st, 2017, 12:13 AM   #2032
Wavertreelad

This appeared on my social media from Peel Ports and may be of interest to readers.

https://twitter.com/PeelPorts/status/877179279406243843

superla liked this post
Old June 21st, 2017, 08:10 AM   #2033
larklanered

Likes (Received): 213

Are we likely to see anyone using the new dock any time soon or are they still doing work with the sink hole issue?
larklanered está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 08:33 AM   #2034
Wavertreelad

Quote:
Originally Posted by larklanered View Post
Are we likely to see anyone using the new dock any time soon or are they still doing work with the sink hole issue?
MSC have put ships on the their Antwerp service on the new terminal for continuing berthing trials and it is expected this service will move entirely to the new terminal in the coming weeks as could some other services using Seaforth. Peel are also in advanced talks about two other services which would see post panamax tonnage calling at the port, no timescale on this as yet though. Work on the sink hole continues and is expected to be completed by August, in the meantime vessels are being worked at the southern end of the terminal, unaffected by the works. I have some images from the terminal which I took last week which I will upload later on.
Old June 21st, 2017, 10:40 PM   #2035
Wavertreelad

Quote:
MSC have put ships on the their Antwerp service on the new terminal for continuing berthing trials and it is expected this service will move entirely to the new terminal in the coming weeks as could some other services using Seaforth. Peel are also in advanced talks about two other services which would see post panamax tonnage calling at the port, no timescale on this as yet though. Work on the sink hole continues and is expected to be completed by August, in the meantime vessels are being worked at the southern end of the terminal, unaffected by the works. I have some images from the terminal which I took last week which I will upload later on.
I've finally added a number of images of the north end of the Liverpool2 terminal taken on 14 June 2017 when MSC Pohoje was one the berth conducting berthing trials, whilst Atlantic Cartier just visible in some of the images was about to enter the lock. Our quickie tour of the facility meant that we did not get a change to visit the southern working end of the terminal

https://flic.kr/s/aHskXHY9z4
Old June 22nd, 2017, 07:41 AM   #2036
roconnor

Quote:
This appeared on my social media from Peel Ports and may be of interest to readers.

https://twitter.com/PeelPorts/status/877179279406243843
I'll put it on my Christmas list!
Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:24 AM   #2037
larklanered

Likes (Received): 213

Quote:
Nice one cheers mate, and thanks for the images.
larklanered está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 09:46 PM   #2038
Wavertreelad

Atlantic Cartier will her final call at Liverpool on Sunday after 34 years of continually crossing the Atlantic between North Europe and Canada and the USA. Current schedule is to dock on Sunday 09 Jul at 1100hrs and sail Monday 10 Jul 1100 by which time the ACL logo will probably be painted out as departs for Antwerp and Hamburg before sailing to India for scrapping.

Atlantic Sail is also due on Saturday about 1000 inward sailing Sunday at 1000 hrs, and she will be displaying the new "retro" logo on the port quarter on the stern. The same logo White on blue, used previously on G1 & 2's has also applied to Atlantic Star whilst in drydock in Hamburg.
Old July 8th, 2017, 02:31 PM   #2039
roconnor

Quote:
Atlantic Cartier will her final call at Liverpool on Sunday after 34 years of continually crossing the Atlantic between North Europe and Canada and the USA. Current schedule is to dock on Sunday 09 Jul at 1100hrs and sail Monday 10 Jul 1100 by which time the ACL logo will probably be painted out as departs for Antwerp and Hamburg before sailing to India for scrapping.

Atlantic Sail is also due on Saturday about 1000 inward sailing Sunday at 1000 hrs, and she will be displaying the new "retro" logo on the port quarter on the stern. The same logo White on blue, used previously on G1 & 2's has also applied to Atlantic Star whilst in drydock in Hamburg.
As you know,only the Atlantic Conveyor is left from the G-3 class vessels. Having checked ACL's sailing schedules,she is stemmed to load in Liverpool on the 16 July and 27 August.I suspect August will be her final call.

superla liked this post
Old July 8th, 2017, 07:00 PM   #2040
Wavertreelad

Quote:
Originally Posted by roconnor View Post
As you know,only the Atlantic Conveyor is left from the G-3 class vessels. Having checked ACL's sailing schedules,she is stemmed to load in Liverpool on the 16 July and 27 August.I suspect August will be her final call.
That is indeed correct, Atlantic Conveyor's last westbound call will be next Sunday and she will return on the 9th Aug 2017. The chartered fully cellular Itea will be retained in the service until the last G4 is in service.

News today which might affect the Port of Liverpool is that it seems an announcement is imminent that Cosco will purchase OOCL. Lloyds List is reporting today the announcement will be made by Monday.

"SPECULATION is rife that China Cosco Shipping Group has finally inked an agreement to acquire Orient Overseas (International) Ltd, with an official announcement expected by Monday.

A message, thought to have been sent by OOIL management to its staff, has been circulating on Chinese social media over the weekend. It said the company’s chief executive Andy Tung, whose family controls 69% of Hong Kong-listed OOIL, confirmed via an internal conference call on Friday that the family had agreed to sell all its shares to Cosco Shipping.

“It will take about half year for the transaction go through government approvals, after which OOIL will remain listed in Hong Kong, " the message said, adding the company's container shipping outfit OOCL will keep its trade mark and brand. The Hong Kong-based company will see no major changes within two years, the message continued. “More details would be revealed on Monday.”

https://lloydslist.maritimeintellige...ement-imminent

Whilst Cosco currently have no container services operating out of Liverpool, nor do they use any of the feeder services, OOCL were founder members of the St Lawrence Co-Ordinated Service and deploy OOCL Belgium on a service linking North Europe and Liverpool to Montreal. Assuming the sale does go through, it will be interesting in the long term to see if Cosco will return to the port where it traditionally used to provide regular conventional liner services before containerisation of the Chinese trade took off.