SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Top 5 Skylines of the Southern Hemisphere

238K views 747 replies 221 participants last post by  renshapratama 
#1 ·
What are your top 5 skylines of the Southern Hemisphere?

Here's my personal top 5

1. Sydney

2. Melbourne

3. Sao Paulo

4. The Gold Coast

5. Brisbane

followed closely by Auckland, Buenos Aires, Perth, & Rio de Janeiro
Also note that my list is based balance, height, & natural setting.

Your turn!

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Including natural setting:

1. Sao Paulo, Brazil
2. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
3. Buenos Aires, Argentina
4. Gold Coast, Australia
5. Recife, Brazil
6. Sydney, Australia
7. Melbourne, Australia
8. Caracas, Venezuela
9. Belo Horizonte, Brazil
10. Brisbane, Australia

Skyline only:

1. Sao Paulo, Brazil
2. Sydney, Australia
4. Melbourne, Australia
5. Belo Horizonte, Brazil
6. Gold Coast, Australia
7. Caracas, Venezuela
8. Recife, Brazil
9. Brisbane, Australia
10. Santiago, Chile

(Based on quantity and height of buildings, density and quality of architecture.)

#39 ·
Skyline only:

1. Sao Paulo, Brazil
2. Sydney, Australia
4. Melbourne, Australia
5. Belo Horizonte, Brazil
6. Gold Coast, Australia
7. Caracas, Venezuela
8. Recife, Brazil
9. Brisbane, Australia
10. Santiago, Chile
Caracas isn't in southern hemisphere.

#8 · (Edited)
^^
Curious as to why Sydney's natural setting rates lower on your list than the Gold Coast's but the skyline is the opposite?
I prefer a beachfront setting for a skyline more than a harbour. I think the Gold Coast benefits from its natural setting to a greater extent than Sydney. As beautiful as Sydney's setting is, it's not exactly Rio de Janeiro or Vancouver, so Sydney's skyline without the harbour would still be almost as good (though I'm not sure many would agree). On the other hand, a 10km long, narrow stretch of highrises relies heavily on the 10km of ocean frontage. But it looks more picturesque as a result (imo of course), despite not being able to match Sydney in terms of architecture, quantity of buildings or density.

Also, I ranked Sao Paulo at #1 on the list including natural setting because its skyline is so far ahead of that of any other Southern Hemisphere city, that it overcomes the lack of scenery. Though I'm obviously not writing a list of the most beautiful cities.

#7 ·
Want your sign to be a wombat or a llama?

As you may know there are different types of astrology. Chinese, Mayan, Vedic, along with the earliest in Babylon. These are all in the Northern Hemisphere. The Incas did have a 20 sign type. I don't know of any Australian astrology. The constellations in the southern skies were named mainly by Europeans.
Source(s):
http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~dolan/constel…

#11 · (Edited)
If we are talking agout quantity of buildings:
1- San Pablo
2- Buenos Aires
3- Sidney
4- Melbourne
5- Rio de Janeiro

If we are talking about defined skylines:

1- Sidney
2- Melbourne
3- The Gold Coast
4- Satiago de Chile
5- ¿?

If we are talking about the Best ones just because of taste:

1- Sidney
2- Melbourne
3- Buenos Aires
4- Santiago de Chile
5- Rio de Janeiro

BUENOS AIRES, THERES A LOT OF DIFERENTS SKYLINES IN THE CITY( BUENOS AIRES AND HER SUBURBAN AREAS ARE 3820 KM2)

JmB & Co
Jazzingman

[/QUOTE]

A OLD ONE

White Shadows

[/QUOTE]

gertt510

By Lastka

BUENOS AIRES SUNSET

tj_alan90alan

SKYLINE :

#12 ·
1 - 2: Melbourne and Sydney
3: Santiago
4. Auckland
5. Gold Coast and Perth

#13 ·
1. Sydney
2. Buenos Aires
3. Melbourne
4. Santiago de Chile
5. Perth (no buildings but good skyline)/Gold Coast (lots of buildings/not best skyline)

#19 ·
southern Hemisphere (Hemisfério sul )

The southern hemisphere is also significantly less polluted than the northern hemisphere because of lower overall population densities (a total of 10 to 12% of the human population), lower levels of industrialisation, and smaller land masses. (Air currents run mostly west–east so pollution does not easily spread north or south.)

O hemisfério sul é também menos poluído que o hemisfério norte, devido à sua menor densidade populacional (apenas um total de 10 a 12% da população humana), inferiores níveis de industrialização, e menores massas de terra (as correntes de ar deslocam-se predominantemente de oeste para leste e por essa razão as poluição do norte não se propaga para o sul).

#22 · (Edited)
Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Chys79

by Bates

Catalina´s Neighborhood

by LASTKA
Puerto Madero´s Neighborhood( Pelli´s Tower, YPF)

by tj_alan90alan

by flickr

Coming soon: Norman Foster first building in Latin America:

Night shoot and Calatrava´s Bridge ( El Puente de la Mujer, The women´s Bridge)

#27 · (Edited)
^^^
Because i like Rosario´s better than Cordoba´s.
The old city of Cordoba is the nicest city of Argentina, nicest than Buenos Aires, It´s even UNESCO human patrimony, but Cordoba´s Skyline is not the easiest to show, it´s hard to take or find a good pic of it.
Next time I´ll put some ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.