daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Baltimore / Washington DC

Old July 11th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #1
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Your Baltimore-Washington Connection

What is your history in the Baltimore/Washington Metroplex? Where in the area have you lived? Are you a transplant? Where in the area have you worked? Favorite spots in the area? Family history here?
modestproposal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 11th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #2
southbalto

Likes (Received): 2

Ellicott City (woodstock actually) then Clarksville. Moved to Canton at 21 and have been in Federal Hill the last 6 years.

I'm in D.C. about one or two months each year for work.
southbalto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #3
pennster

Likes (Received): 5

Born and raised in Silver Spring. Work in downtown Silver Spring right now. Have worked in downtown Bethesda, K Street in Georgetown, Dupont Circle, White Flint, Wheaton, Rockville, all sorts of places.

Mom is from Germany, Dad from Philly. Moved here to Alexandria together after getting married when my dad was stationed in the Army after being drafted in 1974. They moved to SS in 1984, had me in '85, and been there ever since.

My paternal grandmother's family is from Baltimore, though she has lived in Philly for 60+ years now. Her sister, my great aunt, lives in Leisure World in Silver Spring. Her family all stayed in this area.
pennster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #4

Father's side of the family is from West Baltimore, now residing in Northwest Baltimore and Pikesville. My grandfather owned a grocery store, which is of course no longer. My father used to deliver milk around the neighborhood until he started having guns pulled on him.

Mother is from Bethesda. My grandfather bought his house off of Montrose Road so he could enjoy the views of farmland from his back yard. His coworkers in Georgetown thought he was crazy for wanting to live so far in the country.

I was born in Glen Burnie, but moved to Annapolis when I was 2 and grew up there. I lived in Boston, NYC, DC and now Baltimore. I have worked in DC and Baltimore, but now I work in Severna Park.

I have nostalgia for Boston, I truly miss NYC, good riddance to DC and my heart now beats with Baltimore.
21230 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #5
pennster

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21230 View Post
I have nostalgia for Boston, I truly miss NYC, good riddance to DC and my heart now beats with Baltimore.
Can we keep any negativity down in at least ONE thread? Jeez.
pennster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #6
vivo
Baltimore/DC Corridorite

parents from India. born in balt. grew up in Severna Park mos tof my childhood. moved to Millersville. went to umcp. lived on campus and in calverton (part of bville bordering moco). lived in owings mills and ellicott city for less than 2 yrs each. now live in oc but still really want to live at least near a city. meaning w/in half an hour. not sure about long beach. not sure if I'd like LA. i'm only here cuz of family. my dad came in the arly 70's and moved I think to brklyn park south of balt maybe then ferndale and gb later to sp. my sister and mother met him a few days later. if I lived in balt I think it'd be fells pt, maybe mount vernon. I'm part of the MTV generation. aka gen Y or gen X depending on the source.

Last edited by vivo; July 11th, 2007 at 10:41 PM. Reason: add more info
vivo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennster View Post
Can we keep any negativity down in at least ONE thread? Jeez.
Easy tiger... don't be so sensitive. Those were my reflections on the places I have lived. There are many great things about the DC, I simply didn't like the place. I actually originally moved there because I thought I'd prefer it. I wouldn't take it personal.
21230 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #8
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
parents from India. born in balt. grew up in Severna Park mos tof my childhood. moved to Millersville. went to umcp. lived on campus and in calverton (part of bville bordering moco). lived in owings mills and ellicott city for less than 2 yrs each. now live in oc but still really want to live at least near a city. meaning w/in half an hour. not sure about long beach. not sure if I'd like LA. i'm only here cuz of family. my dad came in the arly 70's and moved I think to brklyn park south of balt maybe then ferndale and gb later to sp. my sister and mother met him a few days later. if I lived in balt I think it'd be fells pt, maybe mount vernon. I'm part of the MTV generation. aka gen Y or gen X depending on the source.
Ever want to live in San Francisco?
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #9
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 108

I was born in Baltimore. Lived there and in Essex for a number of years. A lot of family in and around Baltimore still. I've lived all over the states. Currently in South Carolina. I visit when I am able.
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #10
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Born in northeast Baltimore and raised in every section of the city. Most of my time is spent in Frostburg during the academic year and I spend some of my winters in Atlanta. Currently, I live in Parkville.
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #11
vivo
Baltimore/DC Corridorite

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Ever want to live in San Francisco?
nah too far from family. seems cold there.
vivo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #12
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 3

born in brazil. i've lived in miami/san antonio/san diego/ el paso/los angeles/ houston/nyc/yuma, arizona/albequerque, nm/lancaster, pa/san juan, pr/sao paulo, brazil/baja peninsula/ santo domingo, dr (my dad being in the military explains all the moves). 3 years ago, i used to teach at ballou high school in d.c. for the past 2 years, i've been teaching at southwestern high high school in baltimore(now closed). i'm currently teaching at KIPP Ujima Village Academy. i used to live in canton and now, i live in columbia with my wife.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #13
Hood

Likes (Received): 4

Interesting thread. I like hearing about everyone’s history.

Born in Chicago

Moved to suburbs of NYC when I was 2.5.

Off to college in Bethlehem PA

Migrated south to Towson after graduation.

Met my wife to be. Got an apartment in Cockeysville. Hated it and lived there for only 8 months before we decided to move to where our friends were – In the City.

Rented an awesome apartment in Mt. Washington. The top floor of an old Mansion on Pimlico Road. Lived there for 2 preaknesses and since we were 2 blocks from the racetrack – took full advantage by having parties both of those years and enjoying the race as well.

When it was time to buy a house in 1998, started looking in Hampden. Our budget was $80,000. yeah, only $80k. How long ago was that? The realtor who showed me around the 3rd day we were looking said “You don’t want to live up here, you want to be in federal hill” So we went down and started looking in Federal Hill and he was right. That is where I wanted to be. We almost bought a house on S. Charles, but got cold feet. A month later we settled on our house in Riverside and I am so glad we made that change. South Baltimore is an amazing place to live. I love it.
Hood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #14
MobtownManiac
Charm City Ambassador

Baltimorean by birth.
Unwilling Southern Marylander by tyrannical parents' decision to move.
Southern Pennsylvanian by collegiate association, never to return.
Baltimorean once again by choice.
MobtownManiac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #15
Naterpotater

I was born in southwestern PA, but moved to Grantsville, MD only 3 years later. For those that don't know it, which is probably 99% of you it is in Garrett County, near Deep Creek Lake (pop. ~640). I lived in Towson for most of my college career, moved to the Cedarcroft Area, then to Mt. Vernon and now I just bought a house in Highlandtown, just east of Patterson Park.
Naterpotater no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #16
MobtownManiac
Charm City Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naterpotater View Post
then to Mt. Vernon and now I just bought a house in Highlandtown, just east of Patterson Park.
You're following me around. Welcome to the neighborhood.
MobtownManiac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #17
DCBaby

Born in DC, moved to Downtown Brooklyn for 7 years. Moved back to NW DC. Went to college in Louisiana. Moved to Chicago for a short period. Now back in DC FOR GOOD.
DCBaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #18
modestproposal
BANNED

I've lived in the same house in North Bethesda all 19 years of my life. My parents have both lived in MoCo their entire lives (except for 4 year stints at CP). My mom grew up in an almost all Jewish neighborhood in Silver Spring (Kemp Mill) and my dad grew up off Route 28 in Flower Valley. My maternal grandmother grew up on North Luzerne Avenue right next to Patterson Park in East Baltimore. My paternal grandmother grew up in various locations in NW/NE DC. I've worked in Bethesda, North Bethesda, White Oak, Rockville and Capitol Hill. My mother works on 500 East Pratt overlooking the IH and in Bethesda like once a week. My father works in Bethesda. He's a developer and has been involved in over $5 billion of real estate development activities in the Balt/Wash metro area and minimally in NYC.

I go to school in Atlanta, but I plan on remaining in Balt-Wash after college/grad school. I also claim to be the biggest Terp fan that never went to UMD.

Last edited by modestproposal; July 14th, 2007 at 09:15 PM.
modestproposal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #19
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 3

I was born at Greater Southeast Community Hospital, back then, I lived in Anacostia, W St. in front of the Frederick Douglass home. We moved to NE DC, off of Benning Road, then to upper NW off of 16th St. While in DC I attended private school in PG County. I moved to NYC, came back to the area in 9th grade, to Arlington and attended a private high school in MD.

My dad works on K St. and my mom next to Union Station, across from Gonzaga. My grandma moved from Philly after 70 years to Silver Spring, she was born in DC and graduated from Dunbar High, she stays in one of the Blairs. My uncle and cousin and their family moved to Baltimore from Boston. I also have some other cousins and uncles and aunts in B'more. My brother works at the Navy Yard.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #20
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 510

My mother descends from German and Irish immigrants who came to Baltimore only God knows when. She was born in Baltimore, lived briefly in Philadelphia in her younger years, and has lived in Baltimore her entire adult life. Interestingly, my mother is one of six children, but is the only one to have remained in Baltimore.

My father came to Baltimore from Havana in 1958, just prior to Fidel Castro's rise to power. His mother, however, was a Baltimorean of Irish heritage, so it was only natural that they came to Charm City when moving to the United States.

I was born and raised in north Baltimore, living in the same house my entire life. I moved to Miami five years ago, but will likely return back home in two years. In typical Baltimore fashion, my parents still live in the same house, my cousin lives two doors down, my sister lives one block over, and my grandmother lives two blocks over.
PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote