daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Chicago

Chicago » Projects and Construction | Infrastructure & Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 26th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #1
globill

Location: I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country.
Likes (Received): 8

Columbia College's Ongoing Boom....

came across the following article. When I was in college in the late 80's Columbia was just a dinky commuter school that tended to attract students from within the city. I cn't believe it now has over 12,000 students...

Columbia enrollment tops 12,000
« Buckingham Student Residence Opens to Rave Reviews | Main | AEMM Department Names Entrepreneurship Award Winners »
September 20, 2007
Columbia enrollment tops 12,000

Columbia College Chicago’s explosive enrollment growth continues this fall, with the South Loop institution’s student population growing by about 5 percent, to a record 12,021. The number includes 11,366 undergraduates, making Columbia the second-largest, private, undergraduate college in Illinois.

Since 2000, when Dr. Warrick L. Carter became president, the arts and media college’s enrollment has grown by more than 30 percent.

“Today, Columbia is one of the ‘hot’ colleges at college recruitment fairs across the country,”
says Mark Kelly, vice president for Student Affairs at Columbia. “Students flock to our campus because they recognize the value in what the college offers – an outstanding education in the creative disciplines, offered in the heart of one of America’s great cities.”

Kelly attributes Columbia’s success to a number of factors, including its innovative curriculum that was designed within a liberal arts context, but built “by creatives for creatives.” He adds, “We like to tell prospective students that they will work with leading faculty who understand the unique needs and learning styles of young creative people, and that, as students, they will join one of the largest assemblages of young creative talent in the nation.” Add that to our downtown Chicago location, “where the city of Chicago becomes our campus,” says Kelly, “and you have a compelling message that resonates with students.”

In addition, Kelly believes that Columbia’s success reflects the wisdom of its decision to expand its recruitment efforts from regional recruiting to national. This year Columbia enrolled freshmen from 46 states, and overall, more than 40 percent of the college’s new freshmen came from outside of Illinois – up from 29 percent just five years ago.
In the past four years, Columbia’s residential population has grown from 450 to nearly 2,750, making the school one of Illinois’ ten largest private, residential colleges.

Further, the college’s tuition pricing strategy “aims to keep tuition as low or lower than other private arts and media colleges.” Over the past four years, Columbia’s tuition has risen by less than 15 percent, about two-thirds of the national average for private institutions and one-third of the average for public schools over the same period. The college’s tuition - $17,100 this fall – is among the lowest of all private arts and media colleges in the nation.

Yet, according to Kelly, “we understand that some families will be challenged by the college’s costs, and in response, we have expanded our need-based scholarship programs to provide additional opportunities for students with limited financial resources.” This fall, Columbia offered 700 need-based scholarships, up from fewer than 50 just four years ago.

Kelly also stresses the college’s unique admissions philosophy, which recognizes that “creativity, talent and drive cannot be measured through standardized tests” and that, in the end, student voices and visions are best developed through a generous approach to admissions. “This approach has positioned the college as a welcoming place in the higher education landscape and one that draws the most diverse student body of all private arts and media schools in the nation.”

The college’s historic commitment to enrolling a diverse student body has led the college to pay particular attention to the recruitment of minority students. The number of new minority students at the college this fall – including new transfers – increased by nearly 13 percent. The number of African-Americans included in this year’s freshman class rose by 21.5 percent.

-end-

"I told you what I thought about that when I said I do not trust Obama and I probably never will. He hasnn't proven anything to me or you yet but he has flapped his lips plenty. And that I guess, is enough for some of you smarties in here." nygirl
globill no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #2
globill

I wonder, if it continues on its current trajectory, can Columbia evolve into Chicago's version of NYU?

"I told you what I thought about that when I said I do not trust Obama and I probably never will. He hasnn't proven anything to me or you yet but he has flapped his lips plenty. And that I guess, is enough for some of you smarties in here." nygirl
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #3
ChicagoSchool

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by globill View Post
I wonder, if it continues on its current trajectory, can Columbia evolve into Chicago's version of NYU?
Interesting topic here.

What specifically do you mean to "evolve into...NYU"? Is it not already Chi's version of NYU?
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #4
globill

well, it certainly wasn't back in the late 80's early 90's. The whole South Loop was a pretty dodgy area. NYU is smack in the middle of some of the nicest parts of Manhattan, and slowly but surely, Columbia seems to be finding itself in the same sort of place.

20 years ago, o one would have imagined thousands of ot-of-state students choosing Columbia College, their parents would have vetoed sending their kids into such an area.

If things keep going in the school's favor, it really will be a boon for the entire city. Out-of-state students tend to be more valuable as familes come to visit and shack up in area hotels. With the popularity of downtown Chicago increasing, I can imagine quite a few friends and family visiting such Loop bound students in the coming years.

Old November 27th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #5
robituss

Likes (Received): 1

And its not just columbia college. Robert Morris, Depaul, UIC, and even roosevelt and east-west seem to all be getting bigger, requiring more housing, and increasing the southloop/downtown area population. Its pretty exciting. I think its the excitment of downtown chi thats attracting the students, which in turn is adding to the excitement of downtown. A positive cycle that i hope continues.
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #6
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 44

More like Chicago's version of New School. I don't see the NYU factor.
UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #7
MRichR

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robituss View Post
And its not just columbia college. Robert Morris, Depaul, UIC, and even roosevelt and east-west seem to all be getting bigger, requiring more housing, and increasing the southloop/downtown area population. Its pretty exciting. I think its the excitment of downtown chi thats attracting the students, which in turn is adding to the excitement of downtown. A positive cycle that i hope continues.
Loyola has also recently been doing major expansion projects at their Water Tower campus, including adding student housing there for the first time.

I'm not sure I get the NYU/Columbia College comparison either. The first thing they should do if they want to improve their national image more is change their name. Let's face it, when people hear "Columbia", they think of New York, and that's never going to change.
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #8
globill

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSophist View Post
More like Chicago's version of New School. I don't see the NYU factor.
My main point was the urban pull of the 2 schools. I can see Columbia with its arts programs and hyper urban location as begin to attract students to Chicago the same way NYU does for New York. Loyola's downtown campus is mainly grad schools, and UIC is a bit too far from the central core and has a traditional campus. And my guess is that it, like Roosevelt, are largely pulling from within Chicago and the region.

Seems like Columbia College is the one most likely to attract kids from far and wide.

Old November 28th, 2007, 04:37 AM   #9
svs

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by globill View Post
My main point was the urban pull of the 2 schools. I can see Columbia with its arts programs and hyper urban location as begin to attract students to Chicago the same way NYU does for New York. Loyola's downtown campus is mainly grad schools, and UIC is a bit too far from the central core and has a traditional campus. And my guess is that it, like Roosevelt, are largely pulling from within Chicago and the region.

Seems like Columbia College is the one most likely to attract kids from far and wide.
NYU doesn't attract students to NYC. NYC attracts students to NYU. The changes in the south loop may be attracting students to Columbia.
svs no está en línea   Reply With Quote