daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Chicago

Chicago » Projects and Construction | Infrastructure & Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #1
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Chicago Travel

I have an interview in Chicago(land) on Thursday.

I'm staying at my cousin's place in the Hyde Park neighborhood. The interview is starts at 8 a.m. in Maywood, IL. How long will this commute take at this hour?

Also, are these good travel directions?
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Yuk, I think that would be a nasty commute. You'd have to take Dan Ryan north to 290 (Eisenhower) and 290 west to Maywood. Both of those highway segments are atrocious at any time of day.
Quote:
Also, are these good travel directions?
That's what I would do. Plan to leave EARLY, I'd leave at 6:45 at the latest just to make sure. Better early than late. :-]
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #3
Paddington

Old December 11th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #4
Northsider

HAha, "Welcome to Chicago"
Old December 11th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #5
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

8 am interview? You sure you want to work for this place?

Anyway, the ramp from 90/94 NB to 290 WB is often backed up pretty badly.

Instead, I'd take Lake Shore Drive north to the Roosevelt/Columbus (left) exit, continue north a half mile on Columbus, then turn left onto Congress, which becomes I-290. Outbound 290 can be slow. It will look fine for the first two miles, then creep along until you pass Harlem.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #6
Northsider

What you could do to is take 55 southbound and get off on 1st Ave and go north. Sometimes it's slow-going through the forest preserve, but at least it's scenic.
Old December 11th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #7
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Mr. D, what is wrong with an 8 am interview? isn't that the start of 99% of people's work days?
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #8
Paddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
8 am interview? You sure you want to work for this place?

Anyway, the ramp from 90/94 NB to 290 WB is often backed up pretty badly.

Instead, I'd take Lake Shore Drive north to the Roosevelt/Columbus (left) exit, continue north a half mile on Columbus, then turn left onto Congress, which becomes I-290. Outbound 290 can be slow. It will look fine for the first two miles, then creep along until you pass Harlem.
This is in medicine.

I'm actually going into a specialty (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation) that's known for having amongst the least hours on the job (~45-50 hours a week) of any specialty, with at least 80% of the weekends free and call from home. The only ones who work less are Dermatologists.

In Internal Medicine, they all start at 7 and work until 6. In Surgery, it's 5:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. every day (including most weekends), with maybe 2 days off a month and in house call 1-2 times a week. God I hated that stuff.
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #9
Northsider

My girlfriend's mom works at Hines over there. Or are you going to Loyola?
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #10
Nat76

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
This is in medicine.

I'm actually going into a specialty (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation) that's known for having amongst the least hours on the job (~45-50 hours a week) of any specialty, with at least 80% of the weekends free and call from home. The only ones who work less are Dermatologists.

In Internal Medicine, they all start at 7 and work until 6. In Surgery, it's 5:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. every day (including most weekends), with maybe 2 days off a month and in house call 1-2 times a week. God I hated that stuff.
I assume that you're going to Loyola then? My girlfriend is an intensivist there and we live in the West Loop right off 290. We're living there because she must be within 30 minutes of the hospital for evening emergencies. What I can tell you about traffic is that it is very hit and miss for her. In the middle of the night, it's 15-20 minutes door to door. Morning rush doesn't require the 30 minute window, but she leaves early. Some days its 20 minutes. Other days its 45 during the rush.

To be safe, I'd leave from Hyde Park not at 6:45, but a full 90 minutes early at 6:30 if you plan to take 290.

Another trick: if traffic on 290 is at a near stand still for an extended period of time (not 20 mph down the road, but more like 5mph), get off the nearest exit, go south (left) a few blocks and turn west (right) on Roosevelt.

You go through some sketchy areas, but Roosevelt normally moves very well at this time of the day. It dumps you out onto First Avenue.
Nat76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 04:21 AM   #11
Paddington

So I ended up leaving around 7:10 because I was a bit delayed And I got there a few minutes late, but it was cool because they hadn't started yet.

My morning started off with dodging a panhadler who had setup shop on Lake Shore Drive. He was scurrying across to his home in a cardboard box between the 2nd and 3rd lanes on the Northbound side, so that's something to watch out for.

But that wasn't the worst. I debuted rube driving techniques - almost getting myself killed in the process - never before seen in Chicago, including indicating before changing lanes and driving in between those white things on the road.

The ramp to I-290 is really backed up.

Quote:
Another trick: if traffic on 290 is at a near stand still for an extended period of time (not 20 mph down the road, but more like 5mph), get off the nearest exit, go south (left) a few blocks and turn west (right) on Roosevelt.

You go through some sketchy areas, but Roosevelt normally moves very well at this time of the day. It dumps you out onto First Avenue.
I made use of this.

The program was meh, but it was to be expected. My interest in Loyola was the location. This, however, turned out to be a disappointment. Maywood is a dump. I don't think I would want to live there. Most of the residents there said they live in the city, including the northwestern parts of Chicago and downtown. Their commute times were 40 minutes-1 hour each way daily. There is no real public transportation that goes out to Loyola.

I'm not against commuting. I drive 15 miles each way in Columbus daily. But I'm still traumatized from braving the Dan Ryan and Stevenson espressways earlier today. I'm not sure I could do that everyday.

I'll probably end up ranking this program somewhere in the middle of my list.

Last edited by Paddington; December 14th, 2007 at 04:28 AM.
Old December 14th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #12
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
The ramp to I-290 is really backed up.
That's exactly why I told you to take Columbus to Congress.

Anyway, Maywood is not your only option. There are a lot of mid-century walkable suburbs in that part of Chicagoland: Broadview, Westchester, LaGrange, Brookfield, Riverside, Oak Park, River Forest, Forest Park, Elmwood Park. Some of them have their own charms, and many have good transit links to both downtown and Hines/Loyola. Or they offer 20-minute driving commutes on surface streets.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #13
Northsider

I wouldn't say Maywood is a dump, but it's certainly not the greatest neighborhood. I'm glad you survived the Ryan/Ike commute.
Old December 14th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #14
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Ah, Loyola University's teaching hospital, I gather....

I could never get over the fact that Loyola's teaching hospital was in the suburbs instead of the city. That is one of the major (but not the only) reasons why I didn't even bother to interview there for a position years ago
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:39 AM   #15
bnk

Likes (Received): 734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
That's exactly why I told you to take Columbus to Congress.

Anyway, Maywood is not your only option. There are a lot of mid-century walkable suburbs in that part of Chicagoland: Broadview, Westchester, LaGrange, Brookfield, Riverside, Oak Park, River Forest, Forest Park, Elmwood Park. Some of them have their own charms, and many have good transit links to both downtown and Hines/Loyola. Or they offer 20-minute driving commutes on surface streets.

Good point. Although I would also have included Elmhurst and some others even farther out.
bnk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote