daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Chicago

Chicago » Projects and Construction | Infrastructure & Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #1
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

I LOVE Chicago-style pizza!

Damn, that was good.

It was 2 days ago, but I'm still thinking about it....

I must have gained 2 pounds
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #2
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Where did you go?
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #3
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Uno's
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #4
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 894

Chicago style pizza is the best!

Nothing beats Lou Malnatis and Giordanos.....

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #5
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

I've never had it.
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #6
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Giordanos is my favorite deep dish. However, my dad says this too, but growing up I NEVER had deep dish pizza. It was always thin crust from the local pizzeria. The first time I had "Chicago style" pizza was when I was a 2nd year undergrad student. I love it though...but you gotta be ready to eat all that cheese! :-]
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #7
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

I hate to tell you, but the Uno's chain is but a pale imitation of the original Uno's/Due in Chicago. I'm not sure if Ike Sewell sold the name but not the recipe or what, but there's a pretty noticeable difference.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #8
LucasS6

Likes (Received): 0

Chicago's is my favorite. It's always hard to explain when I see fellow Chicagoans (I haven't lived there for like 5 years now) and tell them which is my favorite.
"I love Chicago's pizza!"
"I know but like...which restaruant?"
"Chicago's!"
"Do you know the place's name though?"
"The name of the restaurant is Chicago's, it's on Lincoln or Sheffield or something." (I really don't remember because I always get it delivered.)

It's like a Who's on First thing, every time.
LucasS6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #9
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 894

I forgot to add Pequod's Pizza, in Morton Grove....EXCELLENT deep dish. They also have a location on Clybourn near Fullerton

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #10
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Chicago's is my favorite. It's always hard to explain when I see fellow Chicagoans (I haven't lived there for like 5 years now) and tell them which is my favorite.
"I love Chicago's pizza!"
"I know but like...which restaruant?"
"Chicago's!"
"Do you know the place's name though?"
"The name of the restaurant is Chicago's, it's on Lincoln or Sheffield or something." (I really don't remember because I always get it delivered.)

It's like a Who's on First thing, every time.
Haha, I love Chicago's too! They have locations on Sheffield and Lincoln. I always went to the Sheffield one.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #11
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Akira- View Post
Giordanos is my favorite deep dish. However, my dad says this too, but growing up I NEVER had deep dish pizza. It was always thin crust from the local pizzeria. The first time I had "Chicago style" pizza was when I was a 2nd year undergrad student. I love it though...but you gotta be ready to eat all that cheese! :-]
Your post hits on a very important point. Many true Chicagoans who grew up in the 50', 60's, and 70's NEVER had deep dish pizza. But they had something that other cities did not have, i.e., great THIN crust pizza. The places that had it used great crust and had the cheese all lumpy-bumpy, in contrast to FLAT pizzas elsewhere.

I noted that Chicago's thin-crust pizza was superior when I first had pizza in other cities in the early and mid 1970's. The thin-crust pizza in the other cities was bland, with the crust and sauce being boring.

Only a half-dozen Chicago pizzeria's had great thin-crust pizza back then, but that was a half-dozen more places than the rest of the country had. Eventually, great thin-crust pizza became available nationwide, and Chicago was no longer truly superior.

in summary, I think that the unsung hero of Chicago pizza is Chicago's contribution to thin-crust pizza.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #12
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Strictly my totally biased and blantently partisan opinion:

Uno's (and obviously Due's) joined Gino's as the longest blood lines of deep dish pizza.

Uno's/Due's is still the "real thing". Gino's is a pale shaddow of the quality they have today in its franchised empire.

Uno's franchise places are a disaster and should be avoided at all cost.

The closest to the original Chicago style of Uno's is Lou Malnati's which made sense as Lou was a part of the Uno's organization before he broke away.

There is absolutely nobody in Chicagoland who can deliver the punch in making the "real thing" of deep dish than Malnati's. Malnati's doesn't franchise. Uno's does with only downtown Uno and Due non-franchised and serving the good stuff. The whole Malnati change serves deep dish the way it is supposed to be served.

Giordano's, Edwardo's, Connie's and others can do deep dish very well, but don't taste like the really authentic stuff.

Many places make thin pizza very well. Unless you are an expert, don't try to make deep dish; it's too hard to get it right.

And if you want a really great deep dish pizza that tastes nothing like the authentic Chicago stuff and doesn't even seem very Italian, try the Silo up in Lake Bluff. It carries its own legend on the North Shore.

The Urban Politican should be prevented from eating deep dish pizza until he moves back to Chicago from NYC (photos of him should be posted at Uno's, Malnati's, etc. to prevent this from happening).
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #13
svs

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Chicago style pizza is the best!

Nothing beats Lou Malnatis and Giordanos.....
Just in Chicago last month, had both Due's and Malnati's; IMHO Due's beats Malnati's by a large margin. Still I wish I had either in LA.
svs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #14
svs

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

Many places make thin pizza very well. Unless you are an expert, don't try to make deep dish; it's too hard to get it right.
In my humble but biased opinion, making a good thin crust is tougher than making a good thick crust and I have to say that I have never bben all that impressed with Chicago thincrust pizza. For me the essence of thin crust is Regina's in Boston, thin crispy, from a coal fired oven. The best in thin crust.

Chicago is the king of thick crust, no other city comes close. Certainly out here on the left coast. The closest descent thick crust I know of is in Berkeley and that doeasn't compare to a dozen places I could name in Chi.

You can make a fairly good thick crust however. The trick is to let the dough sit for at least twelve hours; use the right pan; and make sure your use all four variety of cheeses, parmesano reggiano, a good mozzarrella, romano, and scamorza. Finding the scamorza is the hard part but you can usually find it at better Italian delis. I think it works better if you put the cheese over the toppings and sauce though this is a matter of controversy. I had to learn to make a descent Chicago pizza out of self defense because good thick crust is unobtainable out here. It probably costs more to make it yourself than to buy one prepared in Chi.
svs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #15
Aaron W

Likes (Received): 69

I might get kicked out of the city for saying this, but I prefer NY style over Chicago style pizza. That's not to say I don't enjoy having deep dish pizza every now & then, but typically I like a thin crust pizza. I've only had Giordanos & Pizzeria Uno downtown, so I've yet to try Lou Malnati's or Gino's East. From what I've heard, the only truly good place to get Malnati's is at their restaurant that's just north of the Merchandise Mart?

Surprisingly enough, my favorite pizza that I've had in Chicago is from the little Pizza-Ria shop that's right above the Red line North/Clybourn stop. It's good ol' New York style that's soooo tasty! I haven't had a slice from there in a long time. Maybe I'll stop by sometime this week for a slice.
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #16
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

I prefer thin crust too. My favorite being Nick and Vito's on the south side. My favorite deep dish is Lou Malnatti's and Giordanos. I've honestly never tried Uno's/Due's and i live right down the street. I've always heard it is a horrible tourist trap, so I have no interest in trying it.

On another board I post on, this has always turned into a Chicago vs. New York debate, when it really isn't. I look at it this way, thin crust is a snack, deep dish is a meal.
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #17
rgolch

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
I might get kicked out of the city for saying this, but I prefer NY style over Chicago style pizza.
Even still, the best thin crust pizza I've even eaten is in Chicago. Nothing beats Aurelio's, or Palermo's in Oak Lawn. When I was in NY, I asked the concierge at the four season to direct me to the best NY pizza. I did this twice, and on both occasions was left wondering what all the fuss was about.

And how has all thin crust pizza become synonymous with NY? Wasn't pizza invented in Italy?
rgolch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #18
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

I prefer thin crust over deep dish, too.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #19
WinnipegPatriot

Likes (Received): 258

Take some pics next time, LOL...
WinnipegPatriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #20
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
I might get kicked out of the city for saying this, but I prefer NY style over Chicago style pizza.
MODERATORS!!! READ!! THEN BRIG!! OR BAN FOR LIFE!! OR EXECUTE! OR EVEN FORCE AARON TO MOVE TO THE BRONX!! MAKE THAT THE SOUTH BRONX!!
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote