daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Chicago

Chicago » Projects and Construction | Infrastructure & Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #21
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax419 View Post
[/URL]
Haha. Hopefully soon I will have my own "I'm moving to Chicago" thread
exit_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #22
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
Haha. Hopefully soon I will have my own "I'm moving to Chicago" thread
we've got a giant orange "C" on a blue background just waiting for you!
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #23
bobbycuzin

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Welcome to the city of broad shoulders. You're into hip hop, right? Make sure to visit Subterranean in Wicker Park.

http://www.subt.net/
yeah i'm a fan, is subterranean supposed to be a hip hop venue? looks like a lot of other acts as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
ok, bobby, i realize that city vs. city is verboten here, but I think you at least owe us this:

your discussion on moving here has generated 17 comments (18 including mine). how do the other cities you've moved to stack up with our impressive numbers? if any other city can beat our hositality, i'd eat my wind blown and incredibly snowy hat.
are you asking from a resident or non-resident perspective? because i lived in those other cities at very different ages so my impression of them won't be very complete (an 8 year old won't look at a city the same way a 28 year old would, and i'm only 21), not to mention many of those places such as new york have changed drastically since i left

chicago is definitely underrated as far as american cities go, i would expect any first-time visitor to go home with a much more positive impression of the city than they had previously imagined...as far as hospitality goes, i'd say texas probably beats chicago, but i haven't exactly been here that long

compared to other cities:

-housing in chicago is much cheaper than los angeles and new york, i'm paying about the same as when i lived in austin, tx
-public transportation is pretty good as well, and the city is very bike friendly
-there's like only 2 highways running through the city, wtf?
-good food here, i prefer ny pizza on-the-go but no complaints
-doesn't appear to be many asians here compared to the east/west coasts
-i see a lot of potential in chicago, many people don't give it enough credit

i'm just waiting for spring to arrive so i can start exploring on my bike, until then i'll be schlepping along in the snow
bobbycuzin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 01:57 AM   #24
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbycuzin View Post
-doesn't appear to be many asians here compared to the east/west coasts
^ In regards to East Asians (Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc) you are definitely right. But in regards to Indo/Pakistani Asians, you now live in the US Metro with the second largest population of them. Check out Devon St on the north side, you won't be disappointed. Admittedly, though, most Indo-Pak people live in the suburbs.

For the East Asians I mentioned above, if you're used to the likes of New York & San Francisco you will never be completely satisfied, but I've found Chicago's main Chinatown (Cermak Stop on the Red Line) as well as Chicago's other East Asian districts (Argyle stop on the Red Line) & Korea-town (Lincoln Avenue on the NW side) to be at least respectable.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #25
SIC

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
That's probably a fairly decent area. The next neighorhood to the southeast is Bucktown which is an area that went through some pretty massive gentrification over the last decade. It's one of the more popular areas in the city to live. I would think some of that gentrification is likely to spread over to the Palmer Square/Logan Square area if it hasn't already. Regardless of how quickly that happens though, it's still a fairly decent area. Plus you'll have 24 hr blue line access into the loop which will be nice. The only downside, and the major reason why I don't live in the Bucktown/Wicker Park/Logan Square area, is that it doesn't have direct rail access to Lakeview and Lincoln Park. You have to go downtown and then transfer to either the red or brown line. Though if you're fine with taking the bus, you can just hop on the Fullerton bus which will take you right to the DePaul University area in the Lincoln Park neighborhood.
Stick a fork in it, that area is pretty much gentrified, especially around Palmer Square and Kedzie blvd. You're only 2 stops away from the shops and nightlife on Damen. Theres really no reason to visit Lakeview or Lincoln Park, unless you want to.
SIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote