daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2016, 01:49 AM   #3561
kix111

Likes (Received): 2896

I guess you may have been discussing the subway in a much wider context than I was. In Shanghai, I have never taken the subway outside of the inner ring. In London, I have never taken the Tube outside of zone 1. I am so used to living in the city centre, I forget there are still places in Shanghai outside of inner ring and/or places in London outside of zone 1.

I guess when you consider subway in this grand scheme, Shanghai's metro is definitely not as developed in terms of coverage as London Tube. Shanghai, counting for its suburban area, I believe is one of the largest cities in the world in terms of land area. But then, coming from a very ignorant native Shanghainese's point of view, I wouldn't even consider places like Qingpu a part of Shanghai.

Anyways, I still stand by my original point. For all my intent and purposes, using a subway as a mean of transportation within the urban area, I prefer the Shanghai metro way over the London Tube. I miss the smooth train rides, I miss having aircon inside the trains and the stations, I miss having cellular connection and checking my social network while taking the subway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

_Night City Dream_ liked this post
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2016, 02:41 AM   #3562
kix111

Likes (Received): 2896

I mean honestly, I dislike London Tube to a point that every time I take the Tube, I feel like I am penalising myself for being too lazy to find another viable means of transportation for me in London.

I absolutely hate the Tube for its hot, sweaty, and damp smell of mold, machinery, and coal. I hate how I see dust particles swirling around the staircases when I walk up the stairs. I hate it when the train enters the platform it creates a massive gust of wind. Couple that with the previous two points, all I can imagine is mold/dust particles being forced into my nostrils.

Furthermore, I hate how I usually have to wait 15 minutes outside Holborn station 6pm on a weekday before I can even step foot into the station. This is equivalent to waiting 6-7 trains.

But yeah, whatever, that is just my personal opinion and I may not be representative of a typical Londoner. On a positive note, London Tube may have better coverage, Victorian mosaic, and ultimately, I guess it gets the job done (except when strike happens). To quote NCT, "it is hard not to love the Tube" when you have these perks right? One thing I know that I will miss for sure though - is MIND THE GAP!!!

/rant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kix111; January 26th, 2016 at 02:47 AM.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 04:26 AM   #3563
dixiadetie

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaz965 View Post
when are they going to split line 3 from line 4?
It was a plan to do this , but the cost to compensate the neighbor who should be tore down is too high and it is too hard to negotiation with the China Railway Company for building new tracks above part of the CR's depot. So Shanghai government gave up undertaking the plan.

To upgrade the capacity of these two lines in alternative way , SH metro is purchasing more trains , expanding the depot of line 3 . Trains will run more frequently at northern part of line 3 .
dixiadetie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2016, 12:34 AM   #3564
saiho

Likes (Received): 595

Shanghai Metro Line 16 unveils first 6 car train

3+3 linked train to start operating. I guess they finally acquired enough rolling stock to do this.

Source
Old January 31st, 2016, 02:30 PM   #3565
xeror

Likes (Received): 28

It's uncommon for metro trains to have x+x configuration. Normally new cars are inserted in the middle to increase the capacity. Is it going to be a permanent configuration for all trains on Line 16? Will the trains eventually become 6-car instead of 3+3?
xeror no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2016, 03:41 PM   #3566
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 405

I mean, they were originally running Line 16 trains only every 10 minutes at rush hour with 3-car trains. No wonder, these trains were become super-crowded.
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2016, 05:07 PM   #3567
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 228

Is there really a global rolling stock shortage or is the issue only because of laws that require it all to be made domestically?

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2016, 06:23 PM   #3568
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeror View Post
It's uncommon for metro trains to have x+x configuration. Normally new cars are inserted in the middle to increase the capacity. Is it going to be a permanent configuration for all trains on Line 16? Will the trains eventually become 6-car instead of 3+3?
There are linked metro trains. Guangzhou uses 3+3 on their B1 series rolling stock for Line 3. So does the new DT5 trains on the Hamburg U-Bahn. Also the Berlin U-Bahn HK and IK stock run in a 4+4 consist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Is there really a global rolling stock shortage or is the issue only because of laws that require it all to be made domestically?
I believe it is a protectionist issue where China is opening subways faster than they can build trains to service them. However, Shanghai Metro has been very slow to order trains compared to the other Tier 1 cities. Beijing and Shenzhen have been so far especially diligent at placing supplementary and optional orders for rolling stock to augment existing lines.

mrsmartman, Nouvellecosse liked this post
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2016, 09:03 PM   #3569
xeror

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
There are linked metro trains. Guangzhou uses 3+3 on their B1 series rolling stock for Line 3. So does the new DT5 trains on the Hamburg U-Bahn. Also the Berlin U-Bahn HK and IK stock run in a 4+4 consist.
Is there any reason for this rather than inserting middle cars? It's definitely more expensive in this way because the cab cars are more expensive to build, and the platforms may need to be a little longer. Capacity may also be less.
xeror no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 12:19 PM   #3570
dixiadetie

http://photo.weibo.com/1882290537/wb...5gwj20np0dyjx2

For reference

Here a chart shows new trains that purchased for Shanghai metro from 2013-2015

11*6-car-(A)train for line 1
33*6-car-(C)train for line 5
30*6-car-(A)train for line 7
11*4-car-robber type-train for line 8 phrase 3 (which is a new line independent from current line 8)
36*6-car-(A)train for line 9
36*6-car-(A)train for line 10
6*6-car-(A)train for line 11
15*6-car-(A)train for line 12
38*6-car-(A)train for line 13
49*8-car-(A)train for line 14(u/c)
54*6-car-(A)train for line 15(planned)
28*6-car-(A)train for line 17(u/c)
50*6-car-(A)train for line 18(planned)
6*4-car-(B)train for Pudong International Airport MRT
30*5-car-train for Songjiang Tram lines

There mainly are 4 types of size of metro train (steel-wheel type) in mainland China :
A: length: 20~23 meters ; width: 3 m ;height : 3.8 m , 5 doors each side of a car.
B: length: 19 meters ; width: 2.8 m ;height : 3.8 m , 4(or 3) doors each side of a car.
C: length: 19 meters ; width: 2.6 m ;height : 3.8 m , 4 doors each side of a car.
L(Linear motors): length: 17 meters ; width: 3 m ;height : 3.6 m , 3 doors each side of a car.
Old February 6th, 2016, 02:24 AM   #3571
saiho

Apparently Shanghai is working on a trolleybus eBRT line under the Yan'an Elevated Road. The design capacity is planned to be 15,000 ppl/hour/direction. This looks like it will be a local/distributor line with an average station spacing below 900m.

Source

dimlys1994, timeandspace liked this post
Old February 12th, 2016, 03:07 PM   #3572
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 62003

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiadetie View Post

11*4-car-robber type-train for line 8 phrase 3 (which is a new line independent from current line 8)
Why do they need so many new trains on existing lines? I can guess for line 1 and 2 to replace old Siemens trains yet they are not that old: just 20 years. Will they be decommissioned? What about the other lines? Does Shanghai really want to replace ALL trains on ALL lines within just 3 years?

The second question deals with line 1: why 6-car trains and not 8-car EMUs?

My
(in Russian)

My
(almost daily updates)
_Night City Dream_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 03:31 PM   #3573
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 846

The second question has a simple answer: it is a typo by dixiadetie. The chart indeed states 8-car trains.

(Only understandable in Spanish)

dixiadetie liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 11:38 PM   #3574
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
Why do they need so many new trains on existing lines? I can guess for line 1 and 2 to replace old Siemens trains yet they are not that old: just 20 years. Will they be decommissioned? What about the other lines? Does Shanghai really want to replace ALL trains on ALL lines within just 3 years?

How is this a lot of trains? Apart from line 1 these trains are most likely there to supplement more service.
Line 5, 9, 10 and 13 have major extensions opening next 2 years so it is natural that they need more trains.
Lines 11, 12 and 13 just had extensions completed. It's not surprising the additional train orders have been placed as they expect to ramp up service.
But the most important fact is that many Shanghai Metro lines have atrocious frequencies. Many lines run at headways of 3-5 min on the "busy" section during rush hours. The flood of train orders might have to do with the municipal government's recent pledge to reduce rush hour headways on all downtown lines to below 3 min by 2018.

Last edited by saiho; February 13th, 2016 at 01:16 AM.
Old February 13th, 2016, 03:54 AM   #3575
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiadetie View Post

http://photo.weibo.com/1882290537/wb...5gwj20np0dyjx2

For reference

There mainly are 4 types of size of metro train (steel-wheel type) in mainland China :
A: length: 20~23 meters ; width: 3 m ;height : 3.8 m , 5 doors each side of a car.
B: length: 19 meters ; width: 2.8 m ;height : 3.8 m , 4(or 3) doors each side of a car.
C: length: 19 meters ; width: 2.6 m ;height : 3.8 m , 4 doors each side of a car.
L(Linear motors): length: 17 meters ; width: 3 m ;height : 3.6 m , 3 doors each side of a car.
According to the maps in Metro stations and other information I've found online, Line 15 is under construction now, not just planned.

Quote:
Line 5 is getting many new trains not only for the extension south of the river that'll be opening in the future but also because the platforms for this line are being lengthened from 4 cars to 6 cars.
Photos
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2016, 11:04 AM   #3576
z0rg
Ironborn member

Likes (Received): 11942

Does any Chinese city use 8 car train sets for its subways?

More than
on going in
China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2016, 12:04 PM   #3577
dixiadetie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post

Sorry for the mistake , 11 8-car train will be purchased for line 1 .
I think the old Siemens trains will be decommissioned at their 30s . Surely all the trains in the current lines will not be decommissioned at the moment .

With the lessen that not enough train for new lines or for the current lines (in the rush hour , the frequency of line 2 is just 3 min , far not enough) , resulting in heavy congestion , Shanghai metro fore seeing the growth of passengers and buy more trains in such a great amount to upgrade the capacity of each line , shorten the waiting time for the next train .

Old February 13th, 2016, 12:28 PM   #3578
dixiadetie

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
Does any Chinese city use 8 car train sets for its subways?
Guangzhou(广州): A type: line 11 , line 13
Shenzhen(深圳):A type: line 11 , line 14
Beijing(北京): line 6 (B Type) ; A type: line 3 , line 16 , line 17 , line 18 , line 19
Wuhan(武汉): B type:line 2 (reserved space for 8-car train , currently 6-car trains are running), line 7 , line 8 , line 11
Chongqing(重庆): Monorail: line 2(reserved space for 8-car train , now 4/6-car trains are running ) , line 3 ( now 6/8-car trains are running )
Old February 15th, 2016, 07:33 AM   #3579
_Night City Dream_

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
How is this a lot of trains? Apart from line 1 these trains are most likely there to supplement more service.
Line 5, 9, 10 and 13 have major extensions opening next 2 years so it is natural that they need more trains.
Lines 11, 12 and 13 just had extensions completed. It's not surprising the additional train orders have been placed as they expect to ramp up service.
But the most important fact is that many Shanghai Metro lines have atrocious frequencies. Many lines run at headways of 3-5 min on the "busy" section during rush hours. The flood of train orders might have to do with the municipal government's recent pledge to reduce rush hour headways on all downtown lines to below 3 min by 2018.
OK, now that sounds a bit more reasonable but will that mean headways will no be very small, just like we do here in Moscow? Some 85 - 90 seconds between trains during rush hour and some 2 - 3 min in other time?

What major extensions do you mean for lines like 9 and 10 for example? I mean there will be an extension but still 30 EMUs more per each sounds a huge figure it is almost twice as much there are on these lines now. Okay, I can get it for line 10 since headways there now are awful but line 9 is quite well served + it won't have a very long extension.

I hope though Shanghai will have really decent headways and not only during rush hour.

My
(in Russian)

My
(almost daily updates)
Old February 15th, 2016, 07:35 AM   #3580
_Night City Dream_

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
I miss having cellular connection and checking my social network while taking the subway.
Are there so many "gaps" on the Rube with no coverage?

My
(in Russian)

My
(almost daily updates)

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram