SkyscraperCity Forum banner

101 Embankment | Greengate | 11 fl

244K views 802 replies 157 participants last post by  purple_cat 
#1 · (Edited)
Partial demolition of viaduct structure. Full Planning Permission for a 10-storey class B1 office building (building 100). Outline Planning Permission for a 9-storey class B1 office building (Building 100) - approval sought for access, layout, and scale. Full Planning Permission for a car park together with class A1,A2,A3,A4 and B1 retail/commercial units

Land Bounded By The River Irwell, Chapel Street, Greengate And The Former Liverpool To Manchester Railway Line

11/60256/HYB 11/60257/LBC

Updated: 13/62813/NMA

Developer: Ask Developments/Network Rail

Architects: BFLS

Car Park Pre-let: Q-Park

Update 2:

Update 1:

Original:

See less See more
#125 ·
Opening of Greengate Square launches £400m revamp for bus station site

Developers say the Greengate scheme – on the border of Manchester and Salford – will generate £400m of private investment and create 5,200 jobs

A public square at the heart of a multi-million pound regeneration plan connecting Manchester with Salford has been opened.

The completion of Greengate Square marks the first phase of the redevelopment of wasteland the size of 15 football pitches.

Developers say the Greengate scheme – on the border of the two cities – will generate £400m of private investment and create 5,200 jobs.

It will include new offices, hotels and shops and link the area between Manchester Cathedral, Chapel Street and the Crescent in Salford.

Opening the 1.2 hectare Greengate Square – the site of the former Victoria bus station - is the first step towards completing the project.

The ‘amphitheatre’ in the square will host events, concerts and markets.

It features beacons which produce light and mist displays, and 36 coloured fountains which can be programmed to suit different events.

Salford city mayor Ian Stewart said: “The opening of this magnificent square is just the first step in regenerating the historic Greengate area, bringing huge investment and jobs for the people of Salford.

“Greengate Square will be an icon of our proud city and a central point for creativity as it kick-starts commercial activity in the area.” Potential developers, investors, funders and residents were invited to the square's launch to learn more about the project and future plans.

Salford-based acts, including jazz and soul singer Eileen from Creation Cafe, and a group from the Manchester School of Samba, performed for the gathering.

The Greengate Square project was funded by Salford council, the Home and Communities Agency, the North West Regional Development Agency, and the European Regional Development Fund.

Ask Developments, who are behind the Greengate scheme, will start building their Embankment offices later this year

#127 ·
Article in Property Week, an interview with Ken Knott, talks about a joint venture agreement here with Carillion. Got close to securing funding last year, now in advanced talks with other banks.
"Salford City Council signed a lease on the whole Greengate office building at half rent. The car park is prelet on a 25-year unbroken lease to Q-Park, an excellent covenant. We have income 75% secured, we have got equity, but we need debt."

http://www.propertyweek.com/5051352.article

#128 ·
Probably not the correct thread but anyway here are some pictures I took of the finished Greengate Square last night on my camera phone so maybe not the best quality! I thought it actually looked good especially in the dusk light with the lights in the water features on. I am sure it will compliment the developments that are planned for the surrounding area.

Reactions: ferge
#129 ·
Wish they'd demolish that Premier Inn though. Depressing building. Let's the whole area down - even Exchange Square where you can see it from.

And the proposed buildings look dreadful. I've always felt the area is industrial, slightly run-down and what do they do - design two black-clad dreary looking buildings! If there was ever an opportunity for "not keeping in character" then this was it.

The site should be for something impressive and will transform that side of the Irwell. Crazy development, bitterly disappointing.

#138 ·
Well I for one LOVE the windows on the Premier Inn! Just as the Victorians frowned upon many of Britain's ancient monuments, and the sixties' generation frowned upon our Victorian heritage, we seem determined to get rid of every example of modernist architecture. There has to be a debate about what remains, and I don't think every example should stay - the Ramada Hotel is a blight on the Irwell. I think the windows on this building do make it fascinating, though not sure about the purple bit though. I also worry about the former UMIST campus. Manchester has very few green spaces and very few areas of architectural uniformity (Ancoats is loosing this trait all the time). The UMIST campus has both. With a clean up, I think Mancheter's modernist architecture could be a real asset. Just look at City Tower, Peter House, Station Approach and the CIS Tower. Here is some photos to illustrate my point:

#145 ·
Totally agree North Tower is a masterpiece, brilliant bit of pop 60s. One of Manchester's best buildings and possibly the best tower. Very unique. And the Lancastrian Hall should stay, I am sick of everyone hating brutalism at least its architects and commissioners had the guts to be bold and not safe and dull like 99% of present day architects.

#147 ·
Sadly living in Poole as I do, I've been to Poundbury a few times. And I have to say that it's rather urban. It even features on this new urbanism web page. IMHO it gets away with it because it's tacked onto the edge of Dorchester, with fields a stone's throw away. Without that, it wouldn't.

Did I mention that IMHO Charlie Boy is a dipshit dilettante who's never done a day's work in his life? You won't find him living in the new urbanism any time soon. I say that as somebody who has long experience of left and right-wing politicking. Aw, think of me as a kind of a democrat and a republican too. Or if you prefer. some strange combo of commie pinko and to-the-right-of-Gengis-Khan. Either way it doesn't leave much room for genuflecting to "royalty".

Huh. You'll get there in the end. Trust me.

#159 · (Edited)
Gave that a good stare. It reminded me of something. From my deep past, lost and longing.

Then I remembered that dark smoky look. The chrome effect and it's obvious Germanic power. The shadowy glass hiding a strange technological potential. The seemingly numerous dazzling lights and triggers offering unspoken modernist delight.

Ah i recall. My eager hands pulling at the wrapper. An excited smile from Sarah and Wendy. A 12 inches of pleasure being hoisted into the descending light. A click and the arm lowers and a sudden crackle and groan.

"I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour, but heavens knows I'm miserable now......"

Ah I recall.

It's an 80s cabinet hi fi that building. All it needs is Hitachi, Sanyo or erm Binatone plastered on the side and an empty coke can on the top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.