daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 11th, 2015, 04:45 AM   #861
zappa

Likes (Received): 23

I stay in hotel rooms probably 80-100 nights per year. I Always tip. Most service workers are already at the bottom of the economic ladder. As someone who is rather privileged now, and someone who has worked in service before, whatever I leave goes a long way towards making their lives just a little bit better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
If you're in a hotel room one night, do you tip?

cadre liked this post
zappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 11th, 2015, 05:13 AM   #862
MichaelJSea

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Novak View Post
yes I get that unions are supposed to keep the evil company owners in check from abusing their workers... but who's gonna keep the unions in check when they start abusing their powers holding everything in limbo until they get their way??

greed goes both ways...
Is this a serious question? Do you understand what has happened to unions in the US over the past thirty plus years? Union membership is at an all time low. And Republican governors like Scott Walker in Wisconsin are doing all they can to destroy them even further.

You stated earlier how much you hate unions for so many reasons. Comments like that both frustrate me and make me sad because it proves how thoroughly the Republican plan to demonize unions has worked. Our unions perfect? Absolutely not. Am I frustrated by the unions behavior with Hedreen? Based on what I know, yes.

But the balance of power has so swung so far in favor of businesses that it would be laughable if it weren't so sad and fundamentally bad for the country.

What else has happened over the past thirty plus years in this country? The middle class is vanishing while the rich get obscenely wealthy. Yet educated people like you hate unions; unions that helped in part bring about the middle class we used to have. Because if you think the vast majority of companies were ever going to give employees a dime more than they absolutely had to then you don't know your history.

I used to be a union member and now I'm part of the pretty well off part of society. I can tell you from first hand experience the company I used to work for would screw their employees over at the first opportunity they had. Often it was only the union that stood between us and them.

Was the union perfect? Nope. But it was part of a healthy balance. It's a balance we no longer have and with attitudes like yours, one we probably won't see again for a very long time.

I am definitely not a fan of Kshawna Sawant and I don't want to see anymore of her on the city council. But part of the reason she got elected is because a lot of people are feeling economically screwed over in this country and even this city. Perhaps if unions weren't being destroyed by Republican henchmen, people would be less likely to support someone like her .

cadre, EeePC, Mpatte liked this post
MichaelJSea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 05:17 AM   #863
LCIII

Likes (Received): 1103

Perhaps if unions weren't destoryong themselves they wouldn't be such an easy and popular target for politicians.
LCIII está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 05:23 AM   #864
MichaelJSea

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
Perhaps if unions weren't destoryong themselves they wouldn't be such an easy and popular target for politicians.
Is that WHAT it is? They're destroying themselves! I had absolutely no idea the issue was so simple. And I here I figured it must have something to do with corporations never being satisfied with making enough money. Or the Koch brothers pouring money into the pockets of Republican politicians so they could lie about unions.

Thanks for clarifying with that brilliant contribution.

cadre, EeePC, jessejb, cityviewer liked this post

Last edited by MichaelJSea; March 11th, 2015 at 05:28 AM.
Old March 11th, 2015, 05:45 AM   #865
cadre

Likes (Received): 66

destoryong ? Yep, you're ready for NYC.
cadre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 05:46 AM   #866
cadre

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
....says the guy who knows nothing whatsoever about running a business, or economics in general.
Actually, I just entered the 15th year of running a business. Quite successfully overall, if interested. And I'd put my knowledge of economics and finance up against, well, you for sure.

Quit making up BS about other people, Pal.
cadre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 05:57 AM   #867
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 806

Yet you suggest that cost savings automatically turns into profit!

I assume it works that way at your business. No need to compete on price!

But it does work that way with hotels. They compete against each other. They even set rates with this "competition" element in mind.
Old March 11th, 2015, 06:21 AM   #868
fechang

Likes (Received): 121

I would say it's pretty laughable if one argues we are still somehow on topic...

CityView Jim, Black Box, old_smithy liked this post
fechang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 09:06 AM   #869
Black Box
Black Box

Likes (Received): 127

^Most definitely.
Old March 11th, 2015, 12:05 PM   #870
LCIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJSea View Post
Is that WHAT it is? They're destroying themselves! I had absolutely no idea the issue was so simple. And I here I figured it must have something to do with corporations never being satisfied with making enough money. Or the Koch brothers pouring money into the pockets of Republican politicians so they could lie about unions.

Thanks for clarifying with that brilliant contribution.
You're welcome. Let me know if there is anything else I can clear up for you.

John Novak liked this post
Old March 11th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #871
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 734

Quote:
Originally Posted by fechang View Post
I would say it's pretty laughable if one argues we are still somehow on topic...
I'll make the argument. The scale of this project strongly depends on alley access, which is being held up pretty much based on the fact that the new hotel will be Seattle's first large non-union hotel (fact check requested). We're still waiting on this decision, and until someone makes it there won't be much progress anyway (it determines the design). In the mean time I suggest (sorry, union negotiated coffee break)...
Matt the Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #872
LCIII

Its stupid though. They cant stop the project from happening altogether. They can only block the version that asks for an alley vacation, but that version also includes workforce housing. The other version will still make them a boatload of money and wont cost them as much to build. These idiots dont realize in the end they lose if their motivations really are to stand up for the little guy.

John Novak liked this post
Old March 11th, 2015, 04:54 PM   #873
MichaelJSea

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
You're welcome. Let me know if there is anything else I can clear up for you.
Can't think of a thing. Everything I need to know from you is pretty much crystal clear already.
Old March 11th, 2015, 04:57 PM   #874
LCIII

Well you be sure to let me know
Old March 11th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #875
Mpatte

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJSea View Post
Can't think of a thing. Everything I need to know from you is pretty much crystal clear already.
I've found that having him on ignore makes for a much more pleasant forum experience. I recommend that everyone consider it.

MichaelJSea liked this post
Mpatte está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote