search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Bengaluru

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2017, 04:03 PM   #1381
strike2

Likes (Received): 4322

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlyabode View Post
Trinity metro station to central mall - is it tendersure or tendersure like? It has drain covers on left like older design. It's horrible workmanship. Piece of shit. Compare that to the stretch from central to garuda which is neatly done.
It is Tendersure Like. Entire stretch of MG road from Trinity till Cubbon Park is based on TS but not actually Tendersure work. Similar thing being done on OMR and on Marathahalli to Hope Farm Stretch.

Lnarasimhan liked this post
strike2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2017, 06:47 PM   #1382
heavenlyabode
Bengaluru

Likes (Received): 213

MG Road should have been covered. This is sad. Wasting money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike2 View Post
It is Tendersure Like. Entire stretch of MG road from Trinity till Cubbon Park is based on TS but not actually Tendersure work. Similar thing being done on OMR and on Marathahalli to Hope Farm Stretch.
heavenlyabode no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 07:09 AM   #1383
arshyamAgain

Likes (Received): 310

Did they include any roads in the residential areas like Malleswaram, Basavanagudi, Vijayanagar or Indiranagar yet? Only Jayanagar 11th main has been included so far as I can tell - that's outside the CBD, and the pace and quality of work there hasn't been impressive so far.

Just thinking of the number of roads that need to be upgraded shows how mind-boggling this is. It will go on for 20 years for sure...

arshyamAgain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 07:44 AM   #1384
heavenlyabode
Bengaluru

Right now it's slow. As and when gov't can invest more the pace will increase. As more roads gets built they will start spreading radially outward. Same happened in cbd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshyamAgain View Post
Did they include any roads in the residential areas like Malleswaram, Basavanagudi, Vijayanagar or Indiranagar yet? Only Jayanagar 11th main has been included so far as I can tell - that's outside the CBD, and the pace and quality of work there hasn't been impressive so far.

Just thinking of the number of roads that need to be upgraded shows how mind-boggling this is. It will go on for 20 years for sure...

bfan liked this post
Old August 14th, 2017, 03:27 PM   #1385
arshyamAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlyabode View Post
Right now it's slow. As and when gov't can invest more the pace will increase. As more roads gets built they will start spreading radially outward. Same happened in cbd.
More than the pace of work, I am simply observing how much work needs to be done to build uniform long-term infra across the city. And this is still only one city, not to mention other cities in country.

For far too long, we have satisfied ourselves in building a patchwork of roads and other utilities without a thought for maintenance and usability, leading to the current chaotic look in our cities with frequent road cuts and potholes. In that sense, Tendersure is the right way to go, but it will continue to be painful and expensive, not to mention slow because of the amount of work needed to shift utilities and build proper ducts, while maintaining the current level of service. This is price we have to pay for decades of neglect of our urban infra.

chronicsurfer, Lnarasimhan liked this post
Old August 14th, 2017, 04:39 PM   #1386
heavenlyabode
Bengaluru

It's not unprecedented. But it's India. People only complain but don't participate. Recent events like steel flyover and namma metro protests show people are tasting the fruits of participation. I hope gradually cities become independent & empowered.

Quote:
More than the pace of work, I am simply observing how much work needs to be done to build uniform long-term infra across the city. And this is still only one city, not to mention other cities in country.

For far too long, we have satisfied ourselves in building a patchwork of roads and other utilities without a thought for maintenance and usability, leading to the current chaotic look in our cities with frequent road cuts and potholes. In that sense, Tendersure is the right way to go, but it will continue to be painful and expensive, not to mention slow because of the amount of work needed to shift utilities and build proper ducts, while maintaining the current level of service. This is price we have to pay for decades of neglect of our urban infra.

Old August 22nd, 2017, 03:07 PM   #1387
Pranjal.dixit

Likes (Received): 2

Hey guys! I am a huge supporter of Tendersure Roads and for an aspiring Urban planner, this project was a welcome sight in my City, Bengaluru. I remember walking and taking dozens of pictures when St.Marks road was opened. But, currently, I live abroad and I was hoping to see if anyone had pictures or updates from Church Street and Modi Hospital roads?

Thank You
Pranjal.dixit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 05:37 PM   #1388
Pranjal.dixit

Design to encourage Lane discipline

I love how Tendersure has been able to emphasize on Pedestrian Facilities and this could possibly bring about a change in the pedestrian infrastructure all over the country. But what I also would like to see is Intersection Improvements on wider roads. Tendersure roads' geometric design has led to evening out the lane widths, which is great. But, to actually encourage lane discipline, we need to change how our intersections are designed. In the figure above (Which is obviously meant for Right hand driving countries), you can see that the left turn lane is offset from the other lanes and is in line with the left turn lane of the opposite side. This of course need to be mirrored for Indian roads. But what it does is, it now ensures people in that lane cannot go straight when the signal turns green because its facing the opposite side of traffic. So the only way they can go is to take Left (In indian case, Right turn).How many of you agree?

Keerthan liked this post
Old August 25th, 2017, 07:57 AM   #1389
arshyamAgain

You are right, but that drawing illustrates the very problem Indian roads face - lack of space. Most roads don't have the space for these wide medians that can offer space for turn lanes.

As for lane discipline, I don't think it is simply a matter of road design. Sure, it is an important part, but an equally, if not more important part is driver education. How many of our LLR and driving license tests ask questions regarding lane discipline, etc.? Most drivers think lane markings are for decoration and nothing more. From personal experience, it is impossible to drive within a lane in any Indian city. I try everytime I drive on a Tendersure road, and fail, and end up more frustrated to boot . The drawing you posted (applicable to many north American cities) is not followed 100% - there are older cities that have narrow roads without these facilities, yet still follow lane discipline. This is because of driver education - lane control when driving is an important part of the license tests. I recall in Vancouver - the roads and lanes were so narrow that it felt the oncoming vehicles' mirrors will collide with mine. Needless to say, these were 4 lane roads with no space for parking, turn lanes, etc. But driving was still disciplined.

Surprisingly, it is the lorry drivers (and to an extent, buses) on the wider national highways that practice lane discipline well. It makes logical sense to stick to one lane so they can drive undisturbed. Being big vehicles, they are able to enforce that rule and everyone else drives around them. But smaller vehicles, not so easy. Car drivers are actually the least disciplined on our highways. I don't know if commercial vehicle license holders are trained for doing this, but it does help make your point about even lane widths improving lane discipline. Education would help car and van holders to follow a similar approach, eventually reducing the chaos on our roads.
Old August 25th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #1390
Pranjal.dixit

Quote:
You are right, but that drawing illustrates the very problem Indian roads face - lack of space. Most roads don't have the space for these wide medians that can offer space for turn lanes.

As for lane discipline, I don't think it is simply a matter of road design. Sure, it is an important part, but an equally, if not more important part is driver education. How many of our LLR and driving license tests ask questions regarding lane discipline, etc.? Most drivers think lane markings are for decoration and nothing more. From personal experience, it is impossible to drive within a lane in any Indian city. I try everytime I drive on a Tendersure road, and fail, and end up more frustrated to boot . The drawing you posted (applicable to many north American cities) is not followed 100% - there are older cities that have narrow roads without these facilities, yet still follow lane discipline. This is because of driver education - lane control when driving is an important part of the license tests. I recall in Vancouver - the roads and lanes were so narrow that it felt the oncoming vehicles' mirrors will collide with mine. Needless to say, these were 4 lane roads with no space for parking, turn lanes, etc. But driving was still disciplined.

Surprisingly, it is the lorry drivers (and to an extent, buses) on the wider national highways that practice lane discipline well. It makes logical sense to stick to one lane so they can drive undisturbed. Being big vehicles, they are able to enforce that rule and everyone else drives around them. But smaller vehicles, not so easy. Car drivers are actually the least disciplined on our highways. I don't know if commercial vehicle license holders are trained for doing this, but it does help make your point about even lane widths improving lane discipline. Education would help car and van holders to follow a similar approach, eventually reducing the chaos on our roads.
Oh yes! absolutely. Driver education is the most integral part. And with Indian streets, it is lot more complicated for such a design. Hence, I mentioned if it could be possible on wider streets. For example the intersection where St.Marks road and MG Road intersect. And change in the behavior is a very long term idea. Maybe 20 years or so. But I have seen how design can encourage travel behavior. Tendersure footpath I am sure will have that effect on people's travel behavior in the long term
Old August 28th, 2017, 09:59 AM   #1391
CallMeBangalorean

Likes (Received): 83

Cunningham Road

CallMeBangalorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 04:11 PM   #1392
Pranjal.dixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeBangalorean View Post
Cunningham Road

It pains to see this!
Old August 28th, 2017, 04:16 PM   #1393
mkaushik1991

Likes (Received): 143

TENDER SURE | News & Updates | Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeBangalorean View Post
Cunningham Road

These things should ve been shifted to footpath from center of the road right?
Anyway they ll come up with some reason for not shifting

Last edited by mkaushik1991; August 28th, 2017 at 04:41 PM.
mkaushik1991 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 08:33 AM   #1394
sky_scrape

Likes (Received): 82

BBMP officials said the church street project will be completed by September

Any update on this? I don't find anything on the news on this. Does any one know the status/pics of the church street upgrade?
sky_scrape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 09:06 AM   #1395
nandan_ks
BengaLurina huduga

Likes (Received): 3030

Its atleast 3-4 months away .

IMG_20170904_163625 by CaM Nota, on Flickr

nandan_ks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 04:05 AM   #1396
sky_scrape

I don't know why the press laps up any BS these govt officials feed them without even as much as a follow up question about how realistic is the new deadline.

If the state of progress looks like this now, I can only imagine how it looked a month ago when BBMP told the press the new deadline is sept, and they published it as-is.
Old September 12th, 2017, 05:35 AM   #1397
heavenlyabode
Bengaluru

It's mutual feeding eco-system. The lies don't matter. But these idiots and their system end is near as every one gets on to social media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_scrape View Post

I don't know why the press laps up any BS these govt officials feed them without even as much as a follow up question about how realistic is the new deadline.

If the state of progress looks like this now, I can only imagine how it looked a month ago when BBMP told the press the new deadline is sept, and they published it as-is.
Old September 12th, 2017, 06:21 AM   #1398
bfan

Likes (Received): 150

Yep. If the press insists on asking probing questions or calls out the lies, they will be denied interviews in future.

bfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 07:27 AM   #1399
sky_scrape

I think this probably is one of the main reasons. Now that I think about it, I remember TMRG once tweeted about Namma Metro CPRO excluding a reporter for press releases/updates because he called bs on one of BMRCL's many missed deadlines, if I remember correctly.

Wish there was a solution to this problem

Old September 12th, 2017, 03:13 PM   #1400
heavenlyabode
Bengaluru

Will have to build some kind of "truth commission" or authority by an act of parliament which is independent.

It's a stupid idea but just saying... Make your own truth is better. Mostly we know the liars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_scrape View Post
I think this probably is one of the main reasons. Now that I think about it, I remember TMRG once tweeted about Namma Metro CPRO excluding a reporter for press releases/updates because he called bs on one of BMRCL's many missed deadlines, if I remember correctly.

Wish there was a solution to this problem

Tags
bangalore roads, bengaluru, bengaluru footpath, bengaluru roads, tender sure