SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Navi Mumbai Cityscapes

506K views 890 replies 168 participants last post by  India Rocks 
#1 ·
Hi, i'm new here...:) I'm from Mumbai, India. I have posted some pics of Navi(New) Mumbai, a sister city developing near Mumbai. It's well planned and organised, with wide open, smooth roads and plenty of open spaces, gardens etc. It's still relatively new so not many people live here yet, it's quite empty and there's no real skyline. There's a lot of construction going on and maybe in a few years it will get its own airport. Most of these shots are of Kharghar and Belapur, still developing areas -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------
More general shots -
-----------------------------

--------------------------------
The roads and streets -
--------------------------------

---------------------------------
Local railway stations -
---------------------------------

See less See more
#3 ·
Very very interesting.

Those pictures of the outer areas remind me of some of the cities I visited in the East of Turkey but with no cars and a little more run down(I dont mean that offensively).India is improving every day from what I hear,listen,watch and read.I havent seen it for myself yet.Im hoping to very soon.Once I get sick and tired of spending my holidays travelling around Japan on my bike

This is one the most interesting posts ive seen on the forum in a while.Its not everyday you get such insightful and intriguing perspective with some everyday photos taken off the tourist map in one of the worlds most famous cities.I like the newly formed urban areas and the grooooovey sculptures on the roundabouts.Very visonary.Its as if the governemt is constructing these big roads with the hope the investment will come(and Im sure it will).

Great pictures.Thankyou so much for taking them.I really enjoyed looking at them.Cheers.

#5 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum bhaisahib :) Nice pics!

heckk said:
great pictures!!
if you put a map of the city that would be cool :)
Here ya go :cheers:

This is a map of the Mumbai Metro area. Mumbai occupies the larger island (light blue), and Navi Mumbai ("New Mumbai" in Marathi) is the new development across the harbor (dark purple)

The Recommended New Address For 21st Century Corporate India

The City and Industrial Development Corporation of Maharashtra Limited (CIDCO) was specially set up by the Government of Maharashtra as its fully owned company to plan and develop the new metro centre i.e. Navi Mumbai across the Mumbai harbour over a sprawling area of about 344 sq.kms.

CIDCO's Navi Mumbai project, conceived more than 20 years ago, is indeed the largest new city project ever undertaken in the world. A strategically located, environment friendly alternative to the severely congested metropolis of Mumbai, it is a totally new 344 sq. km. fully planned modern metropolis, with an infrastructure designed to cope with the growing needs of life and commerce in the 21st century.

With Rs 40,000 million (US $ 1140 million) worth of basic infrastructure already in place, Navi Mumbai is ready, willing and able to absorb the imminent, large scale shift of population, business, commerce and non pollutant industry from Mumbai and elsewhere.

Poised to become the most sought after address for corporate India, Navi Mumbai is well balanced and beautifully landscaped, and has been conceived as 14 self-contained nodal settlements with the Central Business District (CBD) at the heart of the metropolis. It has been planned so as to avoid all the problems of urban congestion, nearly half of the total township area has been reserved for green spaces, making Navi Mumbai one of the greenest and healthiest places to live in the world.

Navi Mumbai: Salient Features

- largest fully planned new city in the world
- total area: 344 sq. kms.
- an efficient integrated transport system covering all modes of transports
Here's a map of the districts of Navi Mumbai

#15 ·
awesome place, i really envy navi mumbai...looks gorgeous, some buildings look superb, but others look forgotten and dirty though ruining the charm of the city

#19 ·
Taipei101 said:
Looks nice but the buildings are ugly.
Actually this place is quite new, compared to Greater Mumbai this place is deserted. It jst has the infrastructure in place and is largely awaiting investment. The development off-late has been fantastic and there's a lot of construction all over the city. In a few years, it could look very different. About ten years ago, it was almost like the middle of nowhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.