daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Mehfil Pakistan > Business and Economy

Old May 4th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #1
Pakia
Paiwasta Reh Shajr say..

Likes (Received): 4686

Pakistan Marble/Precious Stone Industry

http://www.pasdec.org/

Balochistan, NWFP and parts of Sindh are very rich with rare kinds of MArbles, Onyx, SandStone and other precious stone. If more sophisticated such stone processing plants are built in the country, it could be a huge revenue boost for national treasury and attract more investments.

Pak value added stone work has big impact at US show

Thursday, 03 May 2007
ISLAMABAD, May 2 (APP): Pakistani value-added mosaics, inlay work and other articles have generated tremendous interest from stone distributors, retailers and wholesalers at the USA Covering Dimensional Stone Exhibition 2007 in Chicago, says a message received here today.
According to the message, a 12-member Pakistani delegation comprising processors and quarry owners from the private sector, and three representatives from the Pakistan Stone Development Company (PASDEC) participated in the show.

This is the first time that the Pakistani stone industry has exhibited collectively under one banner in the United States.

In all, nine Pakistani companies exhibited at what is one of the premier international shows held annually.

In addition to interacting with distributors, building contractors and architects, the Pakistani delegation also met with representatives of the Marble Institute of America (MIA) and were briefed on their overall capacity and possible avenues of collaboration.

The Marble & Granite Strategic Working Group (SWOG) delegation attended a reception hosted by the Pakistani Commercial Councilor in Chicago that was also attended by oversees Pakistani businessmen, bankers and other professionals.

The occasion provided the SWOG with an opportunity to explore possible joint ventures, such as setting up warehouse facilities in the U.S. for greater access to the market.

Later, at a meeting with the Illinois Trade Council, the SWOG and PASDEC were offered membership by the ITC which can in future lend credibility to the Pakistani exports to the U.S.

The tour is a follow up of an earlier visit by the SWOG in October 2006 to the Verona Fair in Italy. It provides the SWOG with a prime opportunity to understand and penetrate the U.S. market currently growing at a substantial rate.

Pakistan's participation in the Chicago stone fair is part of the USAID-funded Pakistan Initiative for Strategic Development and Competitiveness (PISDAC) Project that is working to develop and modernize the marble & granite and other industrial sectors in Pakistan.

The Support for PISDAC is part of the $1.5 billion in aid that the U.S. Government is providing to Pakistan over five years to improve economic growth, education, health, and governance.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak because I wasn't a Catholic.
Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak for me."

We need to learn from past, and we need to do it real fast, before its too late.
Pakia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 7th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #2
safe_blood
BANNED

Likes (Received): 97

were did my post go
safe_blood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:54 AM   #3
FK
Retired

Likes (Received): 1218

Which post?
FK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #4
safe_blood
BANNED

Likes (Received): 97

i posted to put gemstones in the title is well
safe_blood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #5
FK
Retired

Maybe some mishap, I dont see them coming up are you sure it was this same thread?
Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:48 PM   #6
Pakia
Paiwasta Reh Shajr say..

Pakistan Jewelary cottage industries...

Pakistan has a very robust jewelary industry (mostly thanks to year-round shaadi season). But get very poor accredition for its contribution to economy and even poorer international marketing.
Nevertheless some of the jewlers & jewelary is of international quality or even superior. I'm just merging that industry here due to lack of interest here.

Just because, she just looked HOT...vv
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak because I wasn't a Catholic.
Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak for me."

We need to learn from past, and we need to do it real fast, before its too late.

Last edited by Pakia; June 2nd, 2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:41 AM   #7
FK
Retired

This threads for Pakistan's Marble Industry, lets keep India's work out of this please
Old June 5th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #8
Rkhan

Likes (Received): 1571

^ it will be tough to keep inida out of it as india has already captured a lot of international market.
they are marketing their marble in new ways...very proactive i must say. and the kind of variety they have is quite vast.

pakistani marble industry is just comin up. I hope they can catch up quickly.
Rkhan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #9
Edwardes

Likes (Received): 82

It's growing nicely but it'll take time.
Edwardes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #10
KB

Likes (Received): 4800

Marble manufacturers get tax exemption

ISLAMABAD: The Federal Board of Revenue on Friday exempted from general sales tax (GST) manufacturers of marble and granite having annual turnover less than five million rupees.

This exemption would be available to said units even if their annual electricity bill were more than six hundred thousand rupees.

The notification has been issued on the recommendation of ministry of production as special initiatives for encouraging the marble industry in Pakistan. The issuance of this notification would exempt the small manufacturers of marble industry from requirement of getting sales tax registration. In Pakistan marble is processed in more than 1,600 units in the country including 685 small and medium size units. These units have been defined in three categories according to their sizes, small, medium and comparatively large, but not up to the international level.

Marble and Granite are the sixth largest mineral extracted among coal, rock salt, lime stone, china clay, dolomite, fire clay, gypsum, silica sand etc. Since 1990, mining & quarrying has consistently contributed 0.5 percent to the Gross Domestic Product.

In Pakistan only a few unit are equipped with proper equipments and produce quality marble and marble products. Generally Pakistani finished goods are of poor quality. Processing wastage of 45 percent to 55 percent has been estimated.

The extraction in Pakistan comprised boring of holes in the bedrock, which were filled with explosives to blast the block, which results not only in a high wastage (up to 73 percent), but also in smaller stone size, which substantially reduces the price, which is directly proportional to size.

The extraction of marble in Pakistan was yet to be developed and value-addition to all marble products can be done with the help of modern machinery from Italy. It is considered that Pakistan is the right place for foreign investment, in mining as well as the training of manpower involved in the marble sector and Italian businessmen can avail this opportunity.
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #11
singaporean

Likes (Received): 181

PESHAWAR

PESHAWAR - Feb 08: Women take keen interest in art pieces on display at a marble mosaic exhibition organised by Pakistan Stone Development Company in Peshawar on Friday. —Dawn
singaporean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:17 AM   #12
singaporean

First GJTMC established in Karachi

KARACHI: Pakistan Gems and Jewellery Development Company (PGJDC) has established country’s first Gems and Jewellery Training and Manufacturing Centre (GJTMC) in Saddar Town.

Official in the Ministry of Industry, Production and Special Initiatives told Daily Times Monday that exports from this sector are expected to increase from $25 million to $1.5 billion in year 2017. He said the project, which was approved by ECNEC, was part of a comprehensive plan and strategy for upgrading gems and jewellery industry in Pakistan.

Establishment of GJTMC is the result of one of the core strategic initiatives of PGJDC, which is ‘raising value chain productivity.’

All Pakistan Gems Merchants and Jewellers Association (APGMJA) executive member, Humayun Ahmad, said the jewellers produce around 62 percent from recycling the old jewellery while 60 percent imports of gold was used in making fresh jewellery.

He said GJTMC was a unique idea to facilitate the gems and jewellery industry in technology up gradation, skills development of miners, gems processing and jewellery manufacturing through training and provision of required equipments and facilities.

He said the umbrella project will focus on upgrading the entire value chain thorough undertaking different initiatives including raising value chain productivity, setting up common facility training and manufacturing gems processing centers and jewellery manufacturing.

He said GJTMC would not only be used to impart technical training but industry could also use the machines to produce their big orders on latest machines by taking them on lease.

Mr Ahmad said GJTMC of Karachi was first of the four planned centers to be established by PGJDC. Such centres are also being established in Lahore, Gilgit and Quetta.

CAD/CAM a state of the art jewellery manufacturing technology has been introduced in Pakistan for the first time by PGJDC. One each of CAD and CAM machines have been installed in two of the PGJDC in Karachi and Lahore.

In addition to these natural reserves the country process near about 170-tonnes gold annually that makes it one of the ten largest consumers of the metal in the world.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 03:34 PM   #13
singaporean

Rs2bn model quarry to be established in Khuzdar

KARACHI: Adviser to Prime Minister on Industries Mian Manzoor Ahmad Wattoo has said that a ‘model quarry’ worth Rs2 billion is being established in Khuzdar, Balochistan which would help develop the stone industry of the country.

At the inauguration of the 4th Build Asia 2008 at the Karachi Expo Centre on Saturday, he said that formal inauguration of the project would be done by Prime Minister Gilani in two weeks.

He further said that the model stone quarry would involve the local community of the area who actually own the land and once the machinery is installed and the work begins, then the land would be given back to the local community to run it by themselves.

Wattoo said that once the stone industry picks momentum, then it can be more lucrative than the textile industry as Pakistan has large and rich resources of gems and precious stones, marble and other minerals.

“If we work hard then in the near future we would be able to export our stone industry products to the international markets,” he added.

Wattoo also informed that soon the shortage of electricity would be overcome as alternative sources of energy are being worked upon.

Pakistan Stone Development Company Chairman and CEO Ehsanullah Khan said that currently Pakistan’s stone exports stood at Rs30 million and by 2020, they were aiming to take the figure to Rs1 billion. At a press conference in connection with the Build Asia exhibition, he said that exhibitions help develop the image of the country and counter biased perceptions in people’s minds.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:27 PM   #14
Intoxication
Everythin bubble of water

Likes (Received): 8050

Singaporean, I do appreciate you keeping us up to date with the going ons in the different sectors of Pakistan.
Intoxication no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #15
singaporean

thanks sir.
Old August 5th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #16
Plasma.

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoxication View Post
Singaporean, I do appreciate you keeping us up to date with the going ons in the different sectors of Pakistan.
Yep, he is the most focused posted on the forum!

Good job yaar.
Plasma. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 03:11 AM   #17
Khanrak
SECULARISM

Likes (Received): 105

the problem with our marble industry, besides of course the horrendously inefficient extraction methods, is that they keep producing these traditional looking wares. there is a small market for these sorts of things around the world, but if pakistan's marble industry could adapt itself to make modern looking items, along with standard square floor tiles, things will be a lot better. of course, we need to invest in machinery so that 70% of what is mined isn't lost.

Why do states that enforce Sharia always end up as the world's most repressive states?
Khanrak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #18
FK
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanrak View Post
the problem with our marble industry, besides of course the horrendously inefficient extraction methods, is that they keep producing these traditional looking wares. there is a small market for these sorts of things around the world, but if pakistan's marble industry could adapt itself to make modern looking items, along with standard square floor tiles, things will be a lot better. of course, we need to invest in machinery so that 70% of what is mined isn't lost.
I agree, they need to make those traditional ones, but on a side, the whole world doesn't want those.
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #19
singaporean

Italian company to hold Marble Exhibition at Karachi in 2009

KARACHI: Mr. Vincenzo Prati, Ambassador of Italy to Pakistan has said it is their top priority to promote trade and investment relations and to intensify cooperation and collaboration particularly in the field of stones, marble and its products between the two countries. In a meeting with KCCI chief Shamim Ahmed Shamsi here on Wednesday, he also informed that Verona Exhibition Authority from Italy intends to hold a Marble Exhibition at Karachi in 2009. Senior Vice President, KCCI, Iftikhar Ahmed Sheikh, M. Haroon Agar, Vice President, KCCI and Members Managing Committee were also present. Shamsi briefed the ambassador of Italy about the composition and role of Karachi Chamber towards promotion of business and trade activities locally and globally. He spoke about the possibility of business and investment opportunities saying that there are good prospects for undertaking joint ventures in Pakistan with the help of Italian technical know-how. The delegation representing marble sector of Italy showed their interest for development of trade relations and requested President KCCI to send a delegation from marble sector to interact with Italian investors and business community for elaborating and enhancing trade & investment. Italian envoy assured to provide all necessary cooperation and facilitation to the visiting delegation of KCCI.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 04:27 AM   #20
Pakia
Paiwasta Reh Shajr say..

New & Antique : Zaiwarat jo aankhoan ko khairan ker dain

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

015 -Gold Jewelry Series-(16 from 000 to 015)-with permission of MUSHTAQ JEWELERS-(copy right), Karachi, Pakistan.

Posted here only because we have no thread for jewelery. We also need a thread for carpets & rugs industry of Pakistan. Anyone?