SkyscraperCity Forum banner

PYONGYANG | Ryugyong Hotel | 330m | 1083ft | 105 fl | On Hold

2M views 6K replies 1K participants last post by  Kyll.Ing. 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Since it is offical now that the tower is U/C again and we've the evidence on a shot i thought it is time to open a new thread for the tower.

Data:

HEIGHT: 330m/1082ft
FLOORS: 105 floors
USE: Hotel

latest construction shot from flickr, ( did you take the pic imre? )

bigger version: http://www.flickr.com/photos/imresolt/3110001633/sizes/o/

from a recent article:

Orascom is also reportedly funding construction work on the 105-storey Ryugyong Hotel, a Pyongyang landmark suspended for nearly 20 years because of funding problems.

See less See more
#4 ·
another news from Imre:

got today from the Koryo Tours:

Ryugyong Hotel construction continues apace – Well known to lovers of unusual architecture as well as DPRK watchers in general the 105 floor pyramid-shaped Ryugyong Hotel in central Pyongyang is one of the most recognizable buildings in the North Korean capital. As mentioned in a previous newsletter, work resumed in May 2008 after a 16 year hiatus as a contract was signed with Egyptian company Orascom to make the building functional, if anyone knows how to build a pyramid it’s the Egyptians and although it looked at one stage as if total construction time would rival those at Giza, the Ryugyong has recently been undergoing a growth spurt with glass cladding spreading across two sides of the structure, and even the rare sight of electric lights inside being seen in the evenings as work goes on. Planned opening date for the hotel is April 15th 2012; the 100th anniversary of the birth of President Kim Il Sung, massive events will obviously be taking place at this time so book a tour now! Of course Koryo tours will have a full range of trips on offer at that time.

#6 ·
and Emaar here as well:)

Dubai, a symbol of emaar (Buzz of Dubai), the North Koreans participate in the reconstruction Ryugyong Hotel? - United Arab Emirates company, the company acquired on the cell phone

United Arab Emirates (UAE) investment company in the mobile phone business in North Korea, a subsidiary of Telecom acquired a ohraseukom said.

The mobile phone business in North Korea and Egypt in ohraseukom Telecom's subsidiaries, one of the best to come (OrasInvest) to the company's investment last month, the United Arab Emirates Abu Dhabi Investment Company (Abu Dhabi Investment Company) to 180,000,000 U.S. dollars in Tossed Radio Free Asia said.

Telecom's investment in the country ohraseukom director Mohamed El-side "about the current financial crisis and in order to survive in the fierce competition in the communications business was to come in to clean up the best," he talk "mobile phone business in North Korea, we do not have any problem , "He said.

Best in the United Arab Emirates at the invitation of the ADIC acquisition live, "ohraseukom Telecom, the mobile phone business in North Korea right now, but is not involved in an argument after a tough time to discuss the issue," he said.

He's come in telecom ohraseukom Best of the cell phone tower construction and maintenance projects, including the need for the operation of the plant parts and packaging, and delivery to the cell phone, saying that the company has been involved in business in North Korea.

United Arab Emirates state-owned real estate development company of the mine exploitation rights in return for the cost of reconstruction supported Ryugyong hotels, he said.

If the United Arab Emirates state-owned real estate development company, or yimareu nakhilinde

Le's forehead Ha ha

Now, to the North Korean capital in Dubai? This is the good news is South Korea and the United Arab Emirates maetneungeot deep image!

#11 ·
Me too.

What happen with the concrete quality?
seconding guzm@n, what about the concrete? Are they going to reinforce it somehow?
I love how everyone 'knows' the exact quality of the concrete of the premier construction project in the world's most secretive state. Where did you guys all read the surveyor's report?

We have no idea the quality of the conrete, and can't know, that information will never leave the upper echelons of the state construction firm never mind the country.

Clearly however it is good enough quality for the North koreans to continue construction - and the North Koreans aren't stupid. Likewise, the foreign firms bankrolling this are also happy with the quality.

#12 ·
Wait a second... what's the date? 1st of April? Nope... so this must be true. :crazy:
The shiny glass placed below the 30th floor looks strange at first sight, when you've seen the brown skeleton on pics so many times.
I wonder if the old crane on top can be used for this... or has it been replaced by a new one already?
And are there any renderings? I guess the result could turn out to be very nice.

It's a joke of history to see Ryugyong Hotel back u/c after 16 years right now, while many projects worldwide are struggling for their financing... but of course a 330m tall present at the 100th anniversary of a former leader is more important than the banking crises :hammer:... On the other hand, if this project also stands for an opening of the political system of North Korea towards the rest of the world, all the people there could have a benefit. :)

#13 ·
Why everybody fears about concrete quality ? If EMAAR is willing to take such a titanic risk, then it means that the building is of substantial quality and stability. I read that North Korea's economy is about to enter a booming period. Since I have seen many documentaries about this country, I have absolutely no idea of how this is going to happen, but if its true, then its very good for the people there.

#18 ·
I dont believe they cladding the whole building. It looks like they use only the base up to the 30th floor. Or the fill this builing in diffrent phases. Step by step. This country is to poor to complete this project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.