SkyscraperCity Forum banner

PYONGYANG | Ryugyong Hotel | 330m | 1083ft | 105 fl | On Hold

2M views 6K replies 1K participants last post by  Kyll.Ing. 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Since it is offical now that the tower is U/C again and we've the evidence on a shot i thought it is time to open a new thread for the tower.

Data:

HEIGHT: 330m/1082ft
FLOORS: 105 floors
USE: Hotel

latest construction shot from flickr, ( did you take the pic imre? )

bigger version: http://www.flickr.com/photos/imresolt/3110001633/sizes/o/

from a recent article:

Orascom is also reportedly funding construction work on the 105-storey Ryugyong Hotel, a Pyongyang landmark suspended for nearly 20 years because of funding problems.

See less See more
#121 ·
I cant fucking believe they are finally finishing this!!

Before, I thought the building looked like a giant-hulking piece of shit... but now it actually it starting to look nice - pretty impressive!

My reasoning (has nothing to do with the possibility of being a ******* from California) for thinking the concrete was of sub-par quality, was that when there is smoke, there is usually fire (as another forumer put it in the previous thread). Most of the time, that is actually a quite intelligent approach but this is further complicated by the fact that this monster is in such a secretive, reclusive country. While there was no concrete proof of the shitty concrete quality, I had never seen anything that would make me think otherwise either. I assumed that the inside of this structure could have problems as well, on top of the pics I had seen online years ago which I can no longer find (how convenient) and hearing all of these rumours through time. But I highly doubt Emaar would be involved if the main superstructure looked like it was going to completely fail.

Most people on this forum are forgetting structures all over Europe that have been standing the test of time for 500+ years, exposed to the elements as well.

Without starting another war here I want to ask... What can they do to repair concrete in a bulding like this (for the damage that we did see)? Do they just set forms back up over the exisiting walls and floors and pour over them?

#122 ·
Without starting another war here I want to ask... What can they do to repair concrete in a bulding like this (for the damage that we did see)? Do they just set forms back up over the exisiting walls and floors and pour over them?
Good question. My guess would be that, for some repairs, they cut or jack hammer out the bad concrete far enough back until non-corroded steel is exposed, weld new rebar to that, place new forms, then pour the new concrete. Seem like that would work for floor slabs, but I don't know about load-bearing walls.

I did a little searching and found the following link interesting. Who would have guessed that electricity can be used to repair concrete...

http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/concrete/concrete.htm

:)

#123 ·
Most people on this forum are forgetting structures all over Europe that have been standing the test of time for 500+ years, exposed to the elements as well.
Well constructed structures left exposed to the elements might be around for a millenia but a shoddily built building might only last a few years in an exposed state. I know of several abandoned houses that are now only foundations despite having been built only a dozen years ago and were only abandoned about three years ago. They were built cheap and when left alone with no maintenance they just disintegrated over a couple of winters.

#124 ·
Well constructed structures left exposed to the elements might be around for a millenia but a shoddily built building might only last a few years in an exposed state. I know of several abandoned houses that are now only foundations despite having been built only a dozen years ago and were only abandoned about three years ago. They were built cheap and when left alone with no maintenance they just disintegrated over a couple of winters.
Are those houses you mentioned made out of wood? Because concrete and wood are different things you know. I also want to say that concrete is getting denser and stiffer as time pases, due to the chemical reactions in it. If the steal bars inside are intact there is absolutelly no problem. The external walls are of no importance and can be replaced. The problem with this building isn't the fear of colapsing, but the point of making it in the first place, in a country that can't have the traffic lights on, due to electricity sortages (there are no cars anyway...)

#125 ·
I think it's funny so many people are reflexively defending North Korea. Tell you all what, why don't you all go live in that "paradise on earth" and help them achieve their Juche ideal. If they don't execute you as a spy right away then maybe one day they'll let you out of the slave camp and send some information out about how great everything there is......of course you'll have to include some obligatory praise for the Dear Leader..
And why don't you pay all your debts to the rest of the World and we'll see who's the "richest" and most "powerful" country in existence and how "pleasant" would be to leave there.

Bottom line: You are also living in utopia.

I am the only one in this forum to have grown up and spent 18 years in a country almost as reclusive as North Korea is now and I can understand way better then any of you "experts" how life might be there.

#126 ·
Are those houses you mentioned made out of wood? Because concrete and wood are different things you know.
[sarcasm on]Don't they use wood everywhere to build houses? Also concrete is used ?... WOW, you learn new things everyday [/sarcasm off] :lol:

#128 ·

Biodegradable buildings? :lol:

#132 ·
^^ It is confirmed that there's traffic from North Korea on this website (true). If Kim himself or someone else, that we don't know. :D

#133 · (Edited)
there is one picture i posted on first page i think showing it from different angle... it's just a crane up there with korean flag... there is no statue...

EDIT: nope, it was in another thread...
i remember i found the picture some six months ago on DPRK fansite... back then i was surprised to see crane up there and wanted to share it with you guys but all threads about Ryugyong were closed so i save it for some later time...
here is that picture taken probably around April this year:

EDIT2:
found another newer picture taken on their September trip to DPRK... shows crane but still no cladding whatsoever...
that means their progress is going pretty fast in these two months...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.