daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > KiwiScrapers > Christchurch

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 28th, 2007, 10:30 AM   #1
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Likes (Received): 11

CITY MALL Redevelopment

I think this major central city space needs its own thread

If someone wants to post the images and information from the CCC website - do, if not I'll do it when I get home from work.

I've got some pictures from Christmas time, and you can really see that it needs to be fixed up.

What does everyone think of the tram running through the development?

The slow road - yes or no?

What all the kids protesting at the destruction of "their" space??

Do you think the development should extend down High Street to the intersection of Manchester Street?

Post away!! I'm of to Norwich for the day.............

"Fide Condita, Fructu Beata, Spe Fortis"
"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Davee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 28th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #2
TonyNZ

Likes (Received): 8

I like the idea of the tram running through the development, if they ditch that plan il be dissapointed!
TonyNZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #3
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Likes (Received): 45

I say kept it a pedestrian mall. You dont want vehicles running thru it. Put a tram thru the whole thing, like Tony said. That would be a boon for the whole area.

Dedicated Urbanist | 'cause it's the city we live in..
flyin_higher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #4
canterburywatch
Committed to Christchurch

Likes (Received): 0

Think of the big picture

The Christchurch City Council have done a lot of good work in relation to revitalising the downtown area. The city mall concept with its slow road is all part of a bigger plan involving gentrification, traffic flows, high density central city living etc.

City Mall has been an absolute disgrace for years, especially the High St part.

The kids have no perception of town planning issues. Their behaviour recently and for the for many previous years is a further disgrace. Many have a bad reputation... loitering, swearing, generally anti social behaviour including abusing Tourists!!! Until they respect our city. its people and visitors, they shouldn't have a say. They can shape up or ship out.

City mall will eventually intergrate a public light rail system and as the central city becomes more densified, downtown Christchurch will come back to life just like other great cities have...in particular, Vancouver.
canterburywatch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #5
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1

Dave. The original plan was, and as far as I'm aware still consists of the redevelopment right through to Manchester street. - I have seen the plans.

As for Canterburywatch's comment; there is still an enormous amount of public distrust and boycott of the whole project, this has been more evident recently, especially - and suprisingly - the youth, not the 40-60 brigade taking lead. The historic tracks that were dug up are considered unusable and it is unlikely - without substancial investment - that a continuation of the tram track will continue at this stage.
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #6
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin_higher View Post
I say kept it a pedestrian mall. You dont want vehicles running thru it. Put a tram thru the whole thing, like Tony said. That would be a boon for the whole area.
Your opinion, nor mine is valid. There was something like %80 public opinion against the slow road. This means very little to CCC and they will go ahead with creating roads within the mall - regardless of the wish of the masses.
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #7
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Overview

The City Mall is one of Christchurch's most important public and commercial spaces. The area is an iconic part of our City that holds a special place in our hearts and minds. The Mall plays host to our visitors and guests, leaving a strong impression of what Christchurch is. More importantly, it reflects how we care and feel about the heart of our community.

At present, City Mall is in decline. It has been 25 years since the last significant public investment in the area which is borne out by its worn, albeit well-loved, appearance. As a flagship destination within Christchurch, we can't afford for the head of the fleet to sink.

To reinvigorate this vital part of the Central City, we are proposing an ambitious renovation of the City Mall. We believe that strengthening the mall will support broader Central City revitalisation efforts.

Specifically, our proposal for renovating City Mall includes:
  • developing a promenade along High Street
  • creating 'Garden Rooms' on Cashel Street with outdoor dining and seating
  • improving events and recreation space at the intersection of Cashel and High streets
  • planting more trees
  • replacing Stewart Fountain with new seating and a signatory public art piece
  • upgrading the Cashel-Colombo and Hereford-Colombo intersections which are vital connections to the area
  • building service lanes to clean up delivery traffic in the Mall
  • possible extension of the tram through City Mall
  • improving lighting
  • improving retail management and maintenance in the area

It is our belief that there is no one solution to the City Mall's ills, but that the revival of City Mall must rely on a balanced approach. This proposed design has evolved out of analysis of the challenges facing the Mall and seeks to respond to the area's wide range of users and needs. We believe that this proposal strikes an appropriate balance between all of these desires and ambitions. Most important, we believe that this proposal offers a robust solution that will reinvigorate a vital part of our City.

"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #8
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Background

In 2006 as part of the Long-Term Council Community Plan process (Page 83 LTCCP), the Council agreed that the City Mall area was in need of renovation and allocated $10.5 million for the upgrade of this public space.

Based on that decision, Council staff and consultants developed a renovation plan for the City Mall that incorporated feedback received during a preliminary consultation process. This plan was released for formal comment in September 2006 and public hearings where held in November 2006. Following from this consultation, the plan was further modified to respond to public feedback and a final design was developed. This design was approved by Council on 14 December 2006 and staff were directed to proceed to implementing the renovation plan.

Since that time, detailed designs (i.e. construction documents) have been developed and Council has entered into its first Alliance contract to deliver the City Mall project. The Alliance consists of representatives from Council, designers Isthmus Group, and contractor Downer EDI Works. The Alliance has a dedicated leadership team which meets regularly and functions as the governance body.

The Garden City
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #9
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Sustainability

Enhancing the environment and making Christchurch more sustainable are core tenets of the City Mall project. At a strategic level, the renovation project is intended to encourage greater use and redevelopment in our Central City in line with the Urban Development Strategy. By focusing on pedestrian amenity and stitching together Central City precincts, the project encourages walking and cycling while at the same time leveraging great access to our commuter bus network. Beyond these broad objectives, other specific examples of Project: City Mall’s commitment to sustainability include:
  • use of local, long-lasting materials (i.e. low energy use)
  • increased trees and planting
  • use of permeable pavers to help manage storm water
  • re-use of materials removed from the current Mall
  • recycling stations
  • cycle racks

The Garden City
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #10
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Images for the CCC

Overall concept plan for the City Mall

Cashel Street Perspective

Cashel and High Streets Intersection

Cashel and High Streets Perspective

The Garden City
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #11
Marky Mark
Nana's Favourite !

Likes (Received): 10

Looks good Davee .....

Hope they add some sort of Street Art / Water feature and Greenery....seems as though it needs something more .......it is hard to tell by those Renders though
Marky Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #12
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 2891

That looks really good! I think NZ could use a few more pedestrianised shopping areas like that. I'm a huge fan of anywhere where I don't have to breathe in CO emissions.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 10:46 AM   #13
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Likes (Received): 45

Quite

Dedicated Urbanist | 'cause it's the city we live in..
flyin_higher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 12:28 PM   #14
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky Mark View Post
Hope they add some sort of Street Art / Water feature and Greenery....seems as though it needs something more .......it is hard to tell by those Renders though
Stewart Plaza has had two UGLY fountains before that have never been a sucess. I remember somewhere that there would be a huge emphases on plantings, flowers, light and some water. Safety is is also important as well as trading outside normal hours to ensure the place is alive in the evenings

The Garden City
Old September 1st, 2007, 01:07 PM   #15
Verdi
Flying Kiwi

i hope there will be some sort of water feature somewhere. that stewart fountain was ******* horrible, the whole area looked like shit. I think the tram going through the area is a good idea, hopefully it will stimulate the idea of building a public tram/light rail network through the city centre for people to get around. i also think that there needs to be a good mix of accomidation, residential and business mix on the city mall. convert more buildings as well as build up with new one. lane development also linking into the city mall would be really good.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:06 PM   #16
timnz2000

All good ideas! I think they need to improve the area at night... it's kind of the throughway between the two areas of nightlife in the city, and most of the entertainment along the way is from street performers. A few nice bars along the way, plus refurbished lanes would go a long way!
timnz2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #17
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Seating areas along Cashel Street.

View along Cashel Street looking towards the Bridge of Remembrance.

Cashel and High Street Intersection.

Stewart Plaza - Colombo, High and Hereford Intersection.

The Garden City
Old September 19th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #18
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Gorgeous. Gotta love pedestrian city centres!

As the most venerable D Lange would say..."Stupid, I can smell the hydrocarbons on your breath from over here!"
Kane007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #19
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane007 View Post
Gorgeous. Gotta love pedestrian city centres!
Yeah! It will be good with the tram going through, eateries, artwork and more life at night. Hopefully some of the Lane networks should open out to the new mall.

The Garden City
Old September 19th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #20
Marky Mark
Nana's Favourite !

Likes (Received): 10

Super Development Luvees .....

Sometimes it seems like the whole of NZ is getting a major re-furb
Marky Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote