SkyscraperCity Forum banner

When will Nova Scotia

19K views 83 replies 33 participants last post by  Black Cat 
#1 ·
Surpass 1 million? I know Nova Scotias population is somewhere around 950,000 and I am interested in finding out when do you think Nova Scotia will surpass the 1 million mark, making it the 6th (or 7th??) Province in Canada with 1 million..
(Is Saskatchewan a Million Province or not?)
Anyway, just wondering..

#27 ·
NS will never reach 1 million. canada's population will hit 41 million in about 20-30 years then it will swlowly decline after that. NS and the other atlantic provincies ( which have a much older population already) will start shrinking before the rest of the country and the fall will be faster. Nearly all of canada's growth currently is through immigration, in the last year canada's population grew by 240K and about 220K of that came from immigration ( who are younger and have more children than native born canadians. The atlantic province get very few immigrants and so will not grow past 2010. I say enjoy the 310 people you got last year because soon it will be decline decline decline.

enjoy

http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/050324/d050324c.htm

1/1/2005 Populations and 2004-2005 increase:

1) Ontario - 12,449,502 +137,081

2) Quebec - 7,568,640 +51,690

3) British Columbia - 4,219,968 +46,372

4) Alberta - 3,223,415 +44,349

5) Manitoba - 1,174,645 +9,683

6) Saskatchewan - 995,280 +837

7) Nova Scotia - 937,538 +318

8) New Brunswick - 751,257 +516

9) Newfoundland and Labrador - 516,986 -1,823

10) Prince Edward Island - 137,734 +114

11) Northwest Territories - 42,944 +315

12) Yukon Territory - 31,227 +300

13) Nunavut - 29,683 +432

#30 ·
You are to blame said:
NS will never reach 1 million. canada's population will hit 41 million in about 20-30 years then it will swlowly decline after that. NS and the other atlantic provincies ( which have a much older population already) will start shrinking before the rest of the country and the fall will be faster. Nearly all of canada's growth currently is through immigration, in the last year canada's population grew by 240K and about 220K of that came from immigration ( who are younger and have more children than native born canadians. The atlantic province get very few immigrants and so will not grow past 2010. I say enjoy the 310 people you got last year because soon it will be decline decline decline.

enjoy

http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/050324/d050324c.htm

1/1/2005 Populations and 2004-2005 increase:

1) Ontario - 12,449,502 +137,081

2) Quebec - 7,568,640 +51,690

3) British Columbia - 4,219,968 +46,372

4) Alberta - 3,223,415 +44,349

5) Manitoba - 1,174,645 +9,683

6) Saskatchewan - 995,280 +837

7) Nova Scotia - 937,538 +318

8) New Brunswick - 751,257 +516

9) Newfoundland and Labrador - 516,986 -1,823

10) Prince Edward Island - 137,734 +114

11) Northwest Territories - 42,944 +315

12) Yukon Territory - 31,227 +300

13) Nunavut - 29,683 +432
Note that Nunavut is outgrowing NS, and NWT is basically matching its pop. increase. NS will be lucky in the future if it just maintains its current population. It will likely go the way of NFLD.

#33 ·
ssiguy2 said:
Yes, due to the shrinking population growth of Saskatchewan it accutually has fewer people now than it did before the Depression. In the late 1920's Sask. was the third most populas province in the country and many also left during the dust-bowl of the 30s.
(from my history textbook "the canadian prairies")
1931-population=922, 000

We dont have fewer than we had before the depression... saskatchewan was once one of the most populous provinces, but after agriculture declined and oil got big, many people moved next door to alberta. Many ppl still go to alberta too.

and as for saskatchewan being a million province... it depends when. we first reached 1 mill back in the 80s i think... but it fluctuates now... were above for a while, then below... i think right now we are slightly under.

#34 ·
I see no good reason to believe that NS won't reach a million people eventually. I'd have to agree that based on the current trends it doesn't look too promising but in twenty years the trends may well be radically different. In fact, 100 years ago there was pretty much no reason to think that Alberta had anything going for it outside of some scenery, Montreal was the king of the castle, and Vancouver was just some little port with access to nothing but that measly and useless Asian market (that's sarcasm for those that don't recognize it) So basically, trends may indeed prove true but there's no good reason to discount the fortune that the future may bring.

#36 ·
Well, yeah but that's assuming the birth rate continues to decline, immigration stays static and people don't find themselves with a reason to move to NS. That's the whole point of what I said. In twenty years nobody knows what things will be like. Don't forget that twenty years ago Newfoundland had NO future (now it has a very promising one thanks to offshore oil) No, things haven't reversed over there yet but that's the trend. Things change all the time. Could you have ever imagined that a place like Dubai would be home to the world's tallest skyscrapers? You'd have laughed...as you would have had reason to.

Sure, the trends may hold but it's not likely. These things simply can't be forecast beyond more than a few years at best. Who knows, maybe the place will have half the number of people living there by 2050. Or maybe double. There's just no way to say.

#40 ·
Nova Scotia will simply not hit one million. Remeber that although Halifax is growing much of that is due to people leaving rural N.S. and heading to Halifax. No net increase in the provincial population.
It is also true, sadly, that when it comes to income Atlantic Canada is impoverished and so many young people will leave for greener pastures in Ont,Alb,BC

#42 ·
Correct me on my hitory, but wasnt Canada settled first on the east coast, then the population 'centre' spread westwards, like the US model?

If that is the case, why did the population spread so rapidly to the west?

I mean, cmon, how important could the St. Lawrence seaway be that so many centuries ago, not to have today's Halifax (east coast) as important as the US east coast is to the nations economy? Baffles me :bash:

#49 ·
1- Yes,when Europeans settled *North-America* they 1st arrived on the east coast
2- Population did spread west ...FYI Note here : Atlantic Provinces Have the highest Population density in Canada "Today" (#1 = P.E.I.)

3- Halifax Harbor is, Militarily, the best Harbor on the eastern seaboard ,capable of sending a fleet of ships from the harbor ,out to sea
*in formation*
(With that in mind,It's probably good for trade port)

--As far as why didn't Halifax boom economicaly through the centuries as a port city like other port cities on the North-American east coast?
I think it's geography,
Halifax Port would have only serviced Atlantic Canada along with
St-John N-B (and others if any majors for back then)
Meanwhile ports servicing other parts of Canada were covered with Quebec,Montreal,Ottawa,Toronto etc..
and the Atlantic provinces have never had an economic boom that compares with the industrial boom of Southern Ontario/Southern Quebec or the Oil Boom in western Canada etc...
People settling from europe to North-America,wanting to go west (something about ..rumors of free land ,or something like that..) would probably try to sail as far west as possible and with the St-Lawrence Seaway ,they could have reached Montreal,Toronto,Rochester etc.. and closer to the center of the continent.

..That's my guess!

#43 ·
That is a complicated question. Partly this region is underdeveloped because it's not really a gateway to the interior. There are no large river systems. There's also not a whole lot in the way of an agricultural hinterland to build up large cities.

Politics did contribute to the situation though. England controlled the Atlantic region for centuries but tried to keep colonisation to a minimum, since they didn't want to lose skills workers and they didn't want to lose the colonies. When Canada was formed the Maritimes already had very little say in how the country was run and so Ottawa created a protectionist economic policy based on bringing industry to Montreal and Toronto to service rural populations to the East and West rather than creating a country open to international trade, as Nova Scotia and New Brunswick had been prior to Confederation.

This approach to development also arguably back development on the West Coast during the 19th century.

#46 · (Edited)
Isn't Halifax supposed to be one of the best and largest harbours in the world?

St.John's Harbour became important because of its location, being so far east and close to the Grand Banks & Europe. It's also perfectly protected from the North Atlantic, and is the only good harbour in that vicinity. Newfoundland has a profusion of good larger harbours not developed, also, Come By Chance (Placentia Bay) is a deep water port where the oil tankers come in. However, NL being an island decreases their importance to Canada.

#47 ·
I dont understand why the eastern provinces have not propspered economically?

If Halifax has the best eastern Canada harbour, Ottawa should pour money into NS (being the main economical province) and let the place boom.

Joey V, Sydney, HK and Vancouver are the most re-knowned 'best natural deepwater' harbours in the world.

#50 · (Edited)
The Atlantic provinces have been economic basketcases for almost a century. It's a region that has been content to have it's economy owned and operated by outsiders. Americans and Central Canadian firms sell them goods and services and ship the money out of there as quickly as they can. Very little of the money earned in the region, stays in the region. Very little is made in Atlantic Canada. All the products are made elsewhere and all the stores are owned by outsiders. It's run like a branch plant colony.

What is a Zellers store, for example? It's a building that they set up in a city to funnel the money out of that region. This money is redistributed to the people who made the products sold in that store, and the people who work at head office at Zellers. This is a cycle that is repeated millions and millions of times over in every corner of their economy. All regions have businesses owned by outsiders, the difference here is that all regions also have a substantial number of businesses domestically owned that operate outside their region. So, money leaves, but money also comes in. In Atlantic Canada, it's mostly a one way street, with the money leaving.

Their entire economy is structured to ensure economic hardship. They've simply been too incompetent to recognize the structural flaw, or to do anything about it. It's a tragedy, but they have no one to blame but themselves for their abject poverty.

Maritimers aren't going to like this assessment one little bit, but it's about time someone told them the truth. Smart Maritimers know that the mentality there is not going to change in their lifetimes, so most of them leave.

#48 ·
Halifax is doing fine economically and Nova Scotia's finances have not looked this good in decades. Example: http://www.td.com/economics/budgets/ns05.jsp

I don't think Ottawa should need to put more money into Halifax. The Nova Scotian government should make Halifax much more business friendly.

#54 ·
Its well known the world over that Canada is a popular choice for people seeking a new life. We are all aware of the stats re Vancouver having massive Asian population, Toronto citizens speaking more languages than anywhere else on earth etc.

Do the Maritime provinces see many new arrivals? Are the local authorities actively promoting themselves to potential immigrants as well? It seems that the profile of this part of the country isnt what it really should be IMO. In addition to that do you think that a large influx in population (sensibly done) would help this part of the country?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.