SkyscraperCity Forum banner

When will Nova Scotia

19K views 83 replies 33 participants last post by  Black Cat 
#1 ·
Surpass 1 million? I know Nova Scotias population is somewhere around 950,000 and I am interested in finding out when do you think Nova Scotia will surpass the 1 million mark, making it the 6th (or 7th??) Province in Canada with 1 million..
(Is Saskatchewan a Million Province or not?)
Anyway, just wondering..

#5 ·
It will NEVER reach 1,000,000. It is not growing at all. Halifax is growing but that is primarily due to people leaving the country and moving to the city. No net increase in population.
Also because so many young people leave Nova Scotia the population is aging faster than the national average so more people dying but fewer younger people to replace the aging population.

#6 ·
The population of Nova Scotia is growing slowly. We have a booming economy in Halifax, the eastern valley and hants county and once the Sydney economy improves the population growth will pick up.

Never say Never!

#7 ·
I'm glad your economy is doing well but it doesn't change the fact that NS will never hit one million. Saskatechwan has being doing quite well over the last few years and although the population is no longer shrinking {as it has lost 18,000 since 1990} but that won't make the province grow again. It is only growing at 500 a year. It still has fewer people in it now than it did in 1926.
NS population is aging and still has a small net decrease of interprovincial migration. Also most of Canada population growth is due toi immigration and the immediate dependents of them as their children tend to have higher birth rates than native-born Canadians. 85% of all immigrants and refugees that land in the country head straight for Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal in that order. Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Winnipeg, and the Hamilton/Kitchener/Niagara region account for a further 11%.
Halifax is similar to Victoria. Relativly the same size and both are growing at between 3-5000/year. But by the looks of the development around Vctoria one would think it was growing at 50,000 a year. Its the changing demographics. One family of 6 in the 60's took one residence but now that same family unit it probably require three residences. No population growth but a larger number of residences to support the same size family.
If I may use my own family. We were a family of six but we are all in our 40's but only have a total of just one child. Now the seven of us occupy 5 different residences.

#10 ·
Over the past four years growth in Halifax has been more than 50% higher than growth in Victoria. From 1996-2001, Halifax grew almost twice as quickly as Victoria.

How the province does over the next few decades hinges directly on how it markets itself abroad and to the rest of Canada. 5-10% population growth is not something ridiculously far fetched if the province manages to attract more immigrants, given the fact that it's not currently even in real decline.

The difference between Nova Scotia and Saskatchewan is that Nova Scotia is much closer to larger population centres and is a much more attractive place to live in general. The province will only become more attractive in the future as Halifax grows and the Northeastern US gets more expensive.

#11 ·
I found it suprising that Halifax is growing faster than Victoria, considering the supposed economic differences between the two provinces. Aside from percentage increases, why do you think this is?
These are statistics from: http://www.citypopulation.de/Canada.html#i213

Populations 1991 - 1996 - 2001
Victoria BC: 287,897 - 304,287 - 311,902 (incr 24,005)
Halifax NS: 320,501 - 342,966 - 359,183 (incr 38,682)

#12 ·
Haligonian said:
Over the past four years growth in Halifax has been more than 50% higher than growth in Victoria. From 1996-2001, Halifax grew almost twice as quickly as Victoria.
That ain't sayin' very much. Now compare the growth of Halifax to K/W over the last 40 years.

The difference between Nova Scotia and Saskatchewan is that Nova Scotia is much closer to larger population centres and is a much more attractive place to live in general. The province will only become more attractive in the future as Halifax grows and the Northeastern US gets more expensive.
Many people believe that Sask. is better than NS. Why is NS better in your opinion?

#13 ·
K/W's a little town with some office parks and housing pods that were built there instead of Toronto because of the cheap land and the university. It has nothing to do with this thread.

I only posted what I did because ssiguy claimed that Halifax was growing at roughly the same rate as Victoria, which is false, unless you think that 24,000 is roughly the same as 38,700.

Many people believe that Sask. is better than NS.

And there are people who enjoy dangling themselves from their ceilings with metal hooks planted in their backs. So what? I never pretended that I was speaking for everybody and I didn't even say that Nova Scotia was better (what does that mean, anyway?).

#14 · (Edited)
Re: Saskatchewan or Nova Scotia.
I've lived in NS, and visited Sask, also have relatives and friends from Sask. I would say the biggest advantage that NS has is the fact of it has milder winters (no comparison), coastal scenery and all the activities that go along with the ocean. Sask is a place many people love too, but thats just my opinion.

It's kind of like comparing Iowa to a New England state.

#15 ·
That ain't sayin' very much. Now compare the growth of Halifax to K/W over the last 40 years.
And this matters why? It was between Victoria and Halifax. Why does everyone have to put a negative spin on anything positive about Halifax or Nova Scotia?

#16 ·
Haligonian said:
K/W's a little town with some office parks and housing pods that were built there instead of Toronto because of the cheap land and the university.
From comments like that clearly you know very little about K/W, which by the way, is quite a bit larger and wealthier than Halifax. FYI, here is a synopsis on the Region of Waterloo: http://www.ontario-canada.com/ontcan/en/expanding/ued/ued_waterloo.jsp

Many people believe that Sask. is better than NS.

And there are people who enjoy dangling themselves from their ceilings with metal hooks planted in their backs. So what? I never pretended that I was speaking for everybody and I didn't even say that Nova Scotia was better (what does that mean, anyway?).
Okay, so you don't know of a single reason why NS is 'better' than Sask.

#17 ·
skyscraper_1 said:
And this matters why? It was between Victoria and Halifax. Why does everyone have to put a negative spin on anything positive about Halifax or Nova Scotia?
Halifax is growing at a moderate rate, but the question was about the overall growth of NS - not Halifax. NS essentially has a stable population, it really is not growing. Halifax can only be seen as "booming" from the perspective of Atlantic Canada, not the country as a whole. Places like Toronto, Calgary, Oshawa, K/W (just to name 4) are growing much faster. A comparison was made between Halifax and Victoria. I don't doubt that Halifax is growing faster than Victoria, but Victoria is only growing at a slow rate. In general, the rest of NS is losing population.

Places like K/W will continue to outgrow Halifax because Halifax - unlike many other cities - has largely been unable to attract immigrants.

#18 ·
From comments like that clearly you know very little about K/W, which by the way, is quite a bit larger and wealthier than Halifax. FYI, here is a synopsis on the Region of Waterloo: http://www.ontario-canada.com/ontca...ed_waterloo.jsp
Well not really. New York City is "quite a bit larger" than Boston. Tri-city is slightly larger than Halifax in the way that Halifax is slightly larger than Victoria. (I don't have any stats on wealth though)

#19 ·
bluenoser said:
Well not really. New York City is "quite a bit larger" than Boston. Tri-city is slightly larger than Halifax in the way that Halifax is slightly larger than Victoria. (I don't have any stats on wealth though)
Actually, it really depends on what was meant by "quite a bit larger". The Region of Waterloo (i.e. the tri-cities and their environs) estimated (for 2004) a population of 489,200:

http://www.region.waterloo.on.ca/web/region.nsf/DocID/0776E1882A72B3DC85256B1B006F8ADB?OpenDocument

The estimated pop. for metro Halifax is what, 380,000 perhaps? That makes the Region of Waterloo about 29 % larger. In my book, that's "quite a bit larger", especially after considering that a few decades ago metro Halifax was bigger.

#20 · (Edited)
oceanmdx said:
Halifax is growing at a moderate rate, but the question was about the overall growth of NS - not Halifax. NS essentially has a stable population, it really is not growing. Halifax can only be seen as "booming" from the perspective of Atlantic Canada, not the country as a whole. Places like Toronto, Calgary, Oshawa, K/W (just to name 4) are growing much faster. A comparison was made between Halifax and Victoria. I don't doubt that Halifax is growing faster than Victoria, but Victoria is only growing at a slow rate. In general, the rest of NS is losing population.

Places like K/W will continue to outgrow Halifax because Halifax - unlike many other cities - has largely been unable to attract immigrants.[/QUOTE

by saying that the rest of nova scotia is losing population isnt true at all either, there are other places in nova scotia that are growing at faster rates than halifax.
east hants has grown 5.3 percent in the last 5 years for example, yes there are some places that are declining typically in the cape breton region but nova scotia isn't even declining as a whole, i also read something a couple months ago that stated the industry of oil rigs or something along those lines off halifax is really going to make things go up hill for us, and that yes nova scotia WILL reach 1,000,000 probably within the next 10 years or less.

and halifax has 50,000 people on victoria and is growing faster.

as far as the "why is nova scotia better" myself.... i do think its better, because I like the ocean and "I" like the seasons the climate ect.... everyone has an oppinion if i say nova scotia is better and everything else sucks thats not a fact that everyone will live by and theres no sense arguing its what u think that matters.

as for saskatchewan being more populous look at the stats tho...
saskatchewan is like ALOT of times larger than nova scotia.
Nova Scotia - 55,490
Saskatchewan - 652,330
nova scotia fits into saskatchewan 12 times.

if the population of nova scotia was was multiplied by 12 our population would be 11,244,000 if u really wanna get down into it lol

#25 ·
In the year 2000 NS had 934,000 and in 2004 937,000. A growth of only 3,000 in 4 years. In the last year it grew by only 800. At that rate you'll be waiting til around 2070 to reach one million and it won't because the population is aging and Nova Scotia , stastically, has an older population than the national average. Alberta the youngest followed by Ontario.
Victoria is growing by just 2,000/year while Halifax 5,000.
It won't hit 500,000 as the national population rate is estimated to grow even slower than now. Becuase fewer immigrants, much lower birthrate, and all those massive baby-boomers will be about 70 by 2020 and will begin to die off as they hit their 70s.

#26 ·
^ You're kind of "assuming the cow is a sphere" as my physics teacher used to say. Your logic is that since Halifax is in Nova Scotia, and Nova Scotia's population RIGHT NOW is slightly older than average, and is growing at a slower rate than some provinces, when the national growth slows down, so will Nova Scotia's.

Actually it's the AVERAGE growth in Canada which will slow down, which means that the fastest growing provinces will stop growing so fast. In theory, NS could have an explosion in population growth and the national average could still decrease as long as most other provinces did not have an increase in growth.

And Halifax actually has a younger population than the national average, and NS has recently (as in the last month) started to aggressively try to attract immigrants.

So your argument that Halifax won't reach .5M because the national growth rate will be slower, there will be less immigration, and Halifax is full of old people, is about 50% speculation and 50% misinformation. Still entirely possible though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.