SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Halifax CFL team name

20K views 61 replies 28 participants last post by  What We're Made Of 
#1 ·
When the CFL comes to town, what should the team be called?

Halifax Explosion?
Halifax Shipwrecks?
Halifax Pirates?
Halifax Destroyers? (named after the Navy vessels parked in the city)

#4 ·
Canadian Chocho said:
That was my suggestion too, and they probably are gunna make it Atlantic so and so, because its a team for the entire Atlantic area.
hmm. i can imagine some sort of anchor in the team logo.

#5 ·
the schooneers are probably taken by JB cameron jr whos late father was behind the notion of a cfl in halifax.

Explosions has bad vibe to it because of the halifax explosion and that a couple of thousand people died in that diasaster. It would kind of be like calling a new york city team the 911's a hundred year after that diasaster.

Pirates might good althought privateers is the term used here for the local pirates in the 1800's

I am sure JB cameron junior is behind an efford for a CFL franchise as he is a sponsor on the 2014 committees list and why not . His wish is to get a free football stadium. LOL

jim jones

#11 · (Edited)
Halifax Mariners
Halifax Easterners

or does it have to begin with Halifax? How about:

Atlantic Puffins (this will be awesome!!!)

or

Canada Mariners
or Nova Scotia Fishermen

Halifax Voyagers

NOva Scotia Puffins

or Halifax Puffins

What do you think?? Maybe we can have all the popular names together and have a vote... :cheers:

#17 ·
Here's a bit of Atlantic Schooners trivia, from the September 1st Burnside News:

"• Speaking of failed sport ventures, here’s an interesting bit of local lore: it’s said that somewhere in Burnside there’s a scoreboard originally purchased by J.I. Albrecht when he had rights to bring a Canadian Football League team to Atlantic Canada. Unfortunately the “Schooner” never got off the ground, but the scoreboard supposedly still remains. That would be interesting to get a peek at, don’t ya think?"

#18 ·
Halifax Privateers, Admirals, or Commodores are the best I've heard so far..
Osprey maybe? Or something that doesn't have to do with the ocean? Just throwing it out there,

I'd really like it if the team was call the "Halifax" whatevers, or at least Nova Scotia. None of this "Atlantic" crap.

Whalers? It sound cool to me at least, killer whales can kick Lion ass anyday!!!
Whalers are actually people who kill whales. Not that there's anything wrong with that

#19 ·
bluenoser said:
I'd really like it if the team was call the "Halifax" whatevers, or at least Nova Scotia. None of this "Atlantic" crap.
I don't think the name 'Atlantic' would be good for the Moncton and/or New Brunswick CFL football advocates who are serious about bringing a team there someday. I don't mean to start a debate on this topic, I'm just saying that there are people who would like to see that. On the other hand, I've always felt that Halifax is like a sister city to Boston, and the Boston football team represents all of New England...

As an aside, I was under the impression that the Atlantic Schooners were an actual CFL franchise; not just a bid. They never got to play a game because their stadium deal fell through.

Anyway, how about a name that's really Halifax, like the Halifax Harbours, or the Armdale Rotaries, or the 'Tough's' Cove Powerplants? That one sounds menacing... Sorry, I'm on low sleep today.

Seriously, I like the 'Privateers' idea. The Explosion is really cool but sure to cause controversy. I also like the 'Bluenosers' idea - then all the players could paint their noses blue instead of the usual black marks under the eyes, ha.

#20 ·
Black Slacks said:
I don't think the name 'Atlantic' would be good for the Moncton and/or New Brunswick CFL football advocates who are serious about bringing a team there someday. I don't mean to start a debate on this topic, I'm just saying that there are people who would like to see that. On the other hand, I've always felt that Halifax is like a sister city to Boston, and the Boston football team represents all of New England...

As an aside, I was under the impression that the Atlantic Schooners were an actual CFL franchise; not just a bid. They never got to play a game because their stadium deal fell through.

Anyway, how about a name that's really Halifax, like the Halifax Harbours, or the Armdale Rotaries, or the 'Tough's' Cove Powerplants? That one sounds menacing... Sorry, I'm on low sleep today.

Seriously, I like the 'Privateers' idea. The Explosion is really cool but sure to cause controversy. I also like the 'Bluenosers' idea - then all the players could paint their noses blue instead of the usual black marks under the eyes, ha.

The stadium deal was with the northern nova scotian industrialist RB Cameron SR. and it was without much government money if any at all. The late RB cameron SR. with J I Albrecht where proposing to build a stadium in burnside.
It was said at the time RB cameron had bought the old electronic score broads from foxboro stadium from the new england patriots and had the broads stored in a warehouse in burnside. It was later said, when he dropped the cfl idea, he sold the scorebroads south of the broader. The Cameron family owns Maritime Steel and in the 1950s donated the structural steel for the construction of the new glasgow stadium in new glasgow nova scotia, the home of the cameron empires main plant and main offices.

When RB sr. asked JI Albrecht how much money he would make from CFL football Albrecht replied to RB that he would be subsidizing the team and would not make money but rather lose money. RB killed owning a CFL idea and refrained from forwarding the franchise.
RB jr is owner of the Cameron family empire and is a sponsor of the commonwealth games bid committee. Perhaps his sponsorship is tied to Halifax getting a stadium via the commonwealth games and then the Cameron family having a football stadium on the taxpayers dime???
Considering that the cameron family is wealthier then most cfl owners and have a very steady source of income from a newspaper chain, steel business with casting , fabracation of bridges , structural steel and huge investment porfolios they are not making the mistake of getting into a sport franchise and paying for a stadium like RB SR once wanted. Even with the ability to fab all the structural steel for any venue involved in a commonwealth games you are still looking at huge expense. The designs of venues for the 2010 biding process they look tailored towards structural steel stadiums and that is up the Maritime Steel Alley. The Camerons make huge money off the construction of the venues and then become tennants if they really desire to own a CFL Team.

jim jones

#21 ·
Penhorn said:
Here's a bit of Atlantic Schooners trivia, from the September 1st Burnside News:

"• Speaking of failed sport ventures, here’s an interesting bit of local lore: it’s said that somewhere in Burnside there’s a scoreboard originally purchased by J.I. Albrecht when he had rights to bring a Canadian Football League team to Atlantic Canada. Unfortunately the “Schooner” never got off the ground, but the scoreboard supposedly still remains. That would be interesting to get a peek at, don’t ya think?"
a friendly FYI penhorn . JI Albrecht was not the pruchaser and it the scoreboard is in burnside it is most likely at the Maritime Steel Plant at the end of windmill road . JB cameron Sr was the money behind the schooners. My grandfather,uncle and brother all worked for the cameron family in the steel plant and the word was that the scoreboard was sold after JB pulled the idea of building a stadium and funding the schooners. The scoreboard in the warehouse is a great urban myth and it was never confirmed that the scoreboard actually arrived in nova scotia.

If they did indeed keep the scorebroad it might be slung to the ceiling of the Fab plant in Dartmouth . The cameron did that with a Crated Neon sign from the 1940's that they would hang from newly completed bridges around the maritimes . To keep the sign out of the way they crated and suspended it between jobs. The sign was donated to the Museum of Industry in stellarton in the early 1990's. The sign lit up after 40 years of dust and industrial dirt from the foundry operation. It is a great display piece beside a power shovel my grand father designed and developed for the Erie shovels who had maritime steel under contract to make heavy equipment.

jim jones

#22 ·
I think the Halifax team should have a truly original name. Something that even minor league baseball teams and minor league hockey teams haven't used yet. Puffins is a good one. Some are also good, but have been used by colleges (Privateers, Commodores, Osprey). I believe Voyagers was used in the past, but isn't being used anywhere right now. (Minnesota's expansion NHL team in the late 1990's had "Voyagers" as one of their finalists; other finalists: Wild, Freeze, Blue Ox, and White Bears.)

Some other unique names:
Urchins
Octopi
Lobsters
Harbormasters
Acadians

A couple names used in the past but not in use from what I know at the moment:
Highlanders
Seals

#24 ·
Jonestowncultinpicto said:
a friendly FYI penhorn . JI Albrecht was not the pruchaser and it the scoreboard is in burnside it is most likely at the Maritime Steel Plant at the end of windmill road . JB cameron Sr was the money behind the schooners. My grandfather,uncle and brother all worked for the cameron family in the steel plant and the word was that the scoreboard was sold after JB pulled the idea of building a stadium and funding the schooners. The scoreboard in the warehouse is a great urban myth and it was never confirmed that the scoreboard actually arrived in nova scotia.

If they did indeed keep the scorebroad it might be slung to the ceiling of the Fab plant in Dartmouth . The cameron did that with a Crated Neon sign from the 1940's that they would hang from newly completed bridges around the maritimes . To keep the sign out of the way they crated and suspended it between jobs. The sign was donated to the Museum of Industry in stellarton in the early 1990's. The sign lit up after 40 years of dust and industrial dirt from the foundry operation. It is a great display piece beside a power shovel my grand father designed and developed for the Erie shovels who had maritime steel under contract to make heavy equipment.

jim jones
Interesting, and yeah, they probably would've sold it, it doesn't really make sense to keep it around for nothing..although the idea of it being hidden on the ceiling of a warehouse for two decades is pretty funny.

#25 ·
you might have a problem with the military unit the North Nova Scotia Highlanders and that the unit suffered a brutial execution during the invasion of normandy in the second world war. A number of highlanders were captured and executed by the orders of a nazi officer.

you could have the same type of deal as the rcmp and the vancouver NBA franchise wanting to be called the mounties. WWE also got into trouble with a character in a mountie uniform.

Dont get me wrong I like the highlanders. it just might have the same effect as the explosion or calling the team the MICMACs or glosecaps. We are so PC these days.

jim jones

#26 ·
Penhorn said:
Interesting, and yeah, they probably would've sold it, it doesn't really make sense to keep it around for nothing..although the idea of it being hidden on the ceiling of a warehouse for two decades is pretty funny.
well hey those camerons are pretty funny people and my dad told me that my grandfather would swear in gaelic constantly after he got home from work with the company LOL. After a while in a steel plant the workers would probably think it was duct work or storage for patterns.You could have a turn over in plant employees who would have no clue what the box on the roof contained. One of the dirtiest places I have ever seen because of the nature of the business is you can never clean a plant like that. My borther used to leave ring around the shower LOL.

I would say they sold it , a 4 by 8 neon sign is one thing to get forgotten by the workers. a scoreboard would be huge. Probably 30 or 40 long and 15 to 20 high. It would also be the cash they could get by selling it . a neon sign custom made for martime steel is a item you can t sell. A scoreboard could be 10 if not 100's of thousands of dollars and depending on the purchase price you might be able to flip for a profit. I doubt it came to nova scotia and was stored in new england. the scoreboard would be one of the last things you needed in nova scotia to complete a stadium . Storing it in new england would keep it in a place that you could sell it easily compared to nova scotia . one thing about RB was he certainly knew every angle to both save and make money except the CFL venture LOL

jim jones

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.