daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Cities, Places, Travel and Geography

Cities, Places, Travel and Geography Discussions and Photos of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of cities and places in the Philippines.
» Metro Manila | Luzon | Visayas | Mindanao

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:11 AM   #1
dinabaw
"Durian is Here"

Likes (Received): 344

Botanical Gardens, Zoological Parks, and Wildlife Reserves

Do we have a La Mesa Eco Park thread? if none i'll start one ,hope you can also contribute articles and photos , i am amazed w/ this park , yes i still believe we Filipinos can make a difference in our environment .

La Mesa Eco Park: Paradise found
by Donna Corpin
It used to be that fresh air meant going to Baguio, boating meant Burnham Park (again in Baguio), swimming pools meant Laguna, hiking meant Mt. Banahaw, and picnics meant Tagaytay. All those places entailed some planning and considerable budget.

What if there was one place that offered everything--right within the metro?

Since August 2005, the La Mesa Watershed Resort and Ecological Park in East Fairview has been the one-stop destination for all of the above. Quezon City residents and non-residents alike have been flocking to the park to commune with nature without actually going out of town. Anyone with at least a hundred bucks can go there on a whim.

Although Fairview is often regarded as being on the fringes of the city, it’s still relatively close. From Makati, going there would take an hour at least on a good day.

Once on Commonwealth Avenue, it’s pretty hard to picture how a natural enclave can sit in the middle of all the smog, traffic, and crowded streets. Past the imposing Sandiganbayan building, the reek around Manggahan, and the squatters on Riverside, unpolluted and breathable air would be most welcome.

Entering a fenced subdivision is even more unconvincing as the way to a park full of promises. But there on the outskirts of the suburb, all misgivings die and give way to awe when a high drop on the left is seen and a majestic expanse of water magnetizes with its soft waves on the right. It’s like being caught between the devil (the precipice looks like it well slides down to the bottomless pit, albeit covered in greens) and the deep blue sea--which is what kids will no doubt call the La Mesa Watershed. It’s a reservoir more than 70 feet deep, the principal source of Metro Manila’s drinking water.

The Ecopark spans 33 hectares, 10 of which is already operational. It lies within the La Mesa Watershed which measures 2,700 hectares and is straddled by Rizal Province, Caloocan, Marikina, and Quezon City. There’s even more greenery as one enters the park proper. This is no surprise as rare species of plants and animals are aplenty. Fifty pesos gives access to all the park has to offer from 8 AM to 5 PM all days of the week. Those inside before 5 in the afternoon can stay until 6 PM.

Last edited by dinabaw; March 1st, 2007 at 02:19 AM.
dinabaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 1st, 2007, 02:21 AM   #2
dinabaw
"Durian is Here"

Old March 1st, 2007, 07:17 AM   #3
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 236

^^ What facilities and amenities can be found there? :dunno:
Old March 1st, 2007, 08:26 AM   #4
dinabaw
"Durian is Here"

^^ boating , picnic, camping , a nature walk .....

La Mesa Eco Park Opens
Annaliza T. Villas, Manila Bulletin

QUEZON CITY - Listen to birds chirping, have a picnic, take a walk while enjoying nature's display, bathe on salt water pools… appreciate the seclusion, value and beauty nature in La Mesa Eco Park in East Fairview. Continue below.

Nestled in the heart of Quezon City, the La Mesa Eco Park attracts the people for so many reasons. This garden-like park provides opportunities for visitors to relax and unwind while enjoying a wide variety of trees and plants, particularly orchids.

In addition to excellent recreation, the park also boasts of its salt-water swimming pools.

Known as the only park having salt-water swimming pools open for public use in Manila, La Mesa Eco Park administrator Delia Abesamis asserted that it is one of their facilities that no other park in Manila has.

"It is the only salt-water pool in Manila open to the public. With a swimming fee of P30 and P60 per person, swimmers can enjoy clean, and healthier water," said Abesamis.

Manage by the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) and other private firms, she disclosed that salt-water pools require more supervision and upkeep compared to ordinary swimming pools.

"Health experts say salt-water pool is healthier than ordinary pool, which has chlorine content. The maintenance of salt-water pools is more expensive than ordinary pools but we see to it that pool water is clean and safe for the public," she said.

Aside from its salt-water pools, the park offers a broad range of recreational opportunities including camping, while children can play on green fields.

"Visitors can use the amenities at the park, tables and chairs, which had been specifically constructed for the families, so they can enjoy their quality time together while having fun. We also provide cooking and grilling areas if they want to prepare their meals hot and fresh. Unlike other parks, we do not restrict the visitors to bring in foods and drinks," she enthused.

But she noted that visitors should clean their spaces before leaving, emphasizing on the cleanliness of the nature park.

"We also want the visitors to be accountable in maintaining the cleanliness of the park. As long as they keep the park clean, we allow them to do their own cooking," she added.

For the orchid enthusiasts, the Orchidarium is the 'must-see' area. It is an enclosed orchid trail exhibit featuring a wide variety of orchids in bloom from the Philippine Orchid Society (POS) and some donated by Senator Franklin Drilon.

Some of orchid species and ornamental plants to be seen at the Orchidarium include Aerides odora, Ascocen-trum aurantiacum, Cymbiduim finallysonianum, Dendrobium anosmum, Dendrobium crumenatum, Dendrobium secundum, Eria ornata, Lipares condylobulbun, Macropo danthus philippinensis, Paphiopedilum haynaldianum, Paphiopedilum philippinense, Ascda, Hilo Jewel, allied Cattleyas, standard Dendrobiums, Oncidium Sweet Sugar, Phalaenopsis shelleriana, Renanthera storiei, Rhychonstylis praemorsa, Trichoglottis amesiana, Trichoglottis latisepala, Trichoglottis philippinensis, Trichoglottis tamesii, Vanda lamellate, Vanda luzonica, Vanda ustii, Waling-waling, Ariods, Bromeliads, and Ferns.

Abesamis averred that many are amazed with the orchid collection displayed that some wanted to buy them or take them home. She revealed it is one of the park's difficulties - how to handle deceitful people.

"There are people who pick flowers without permission, especially if the guards are not looking. We appeal to people to just appreciate the beauty of the flowers," the Eco Park administrator lamented.

For corporate functions such as seminars, conventions, parties and conferences, she said the park's cluster of pavilions can be used.

"We have Narra, Neptune and Ipil pavilions where companies can hold corporate functions. Christmas parties had been held here also," she added.

Through the park is not yet being opened fully and still need more resources to finish the park has been open for the general public since April.

Aside from relaxing, Abesamis said that students also visit the place for the educational purposes. To encourage Quezon City students, 50% discount can be availed while entrance is free for senior citizens. She said around 250 individuals troop the park every day and guests are foreseen to surge as rehabilitation and progress continues. The park is predicted to be fully operational on March 2005 where visitors can go fishing, go boating, camping and biking, among others.

"We are currently putting up the boating lagoon and viewing deck. We also plan to put up biking trails, meditation area and hopefully by Mach we have already completed all the facilities," Abesamis said.

To keep the park smoke-free, Abesamis appealed to people not to insist on entering their vehicles.

"As much as possible we do not allow the visitors' cars to enter the vicinity of the park. It is our responsibility to protect the nature and an element is to keep the air clean free of pollution, that is why we do not allow vehicles to enter the premises of the park. However, admittedly, sometimes it is hard especially if we have VIPs and officials visiting the place," she said.

Inaugurated on April 28 of this year, La Mesa Eco Park is a joint effort of the Quezon City government with Mayor Sonny Belmonte, Metropolitan Water-works and Sewerage System (MWSS), Bantay Kalikasan Foundation, private firms and other sponsors.

The establishment of the park was to uplift the environmental consciousness of the people in Metro Manila.

"The park may be a good place for them to value God's gift to mankind," marked Abesamis.

According to Delia Abesamis, La Mesa Eco Park administrator, the park has been there since the time of the Marcoses.

After decades of being overlooked, with the support of the Quezon City government and other officials, Bantay Kalikasan, private companies and donors, the La Mesa Eco Park on of the oldest park in Quezon City, was revived to a nature park.

Last edited by dinabaw; March 1st, 2007 at 08:36 AM.
dinabaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:50 AM   #5
Lili
The Original is The Best

Likes (Received): 8

^^ I am happy to see this. We had a thread before when there was an issue about certificates of title being granted inside the La Mesa Dam reservation and the beneficiaries are MWSS employees. Some big houses were already built. I hope that they had put a stop to that. The La Mesa Dam reservation should be preserved and protected. This is the main source of potable water in Metro Manila.

Xocóatl is my elixir.
Lili no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:56 AM   #6
ewh1
Red Hot.

Likes (Received): 3

I really don't get why stuff like this doesn't get promoted more
it seems like all you see thats promoted in MM is the shopping, clubbing and intramuros.
imo tourists would probably like to go to parks like this and unwind. see a unique part of nature.
kinda like Stanley Park in Vancouver :)
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:16 AM   #7
dinabaw
"Durian is Here"

seems like younger generation prefers seeing scrapers :)

more photos

google find
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:21 AM   #8
dinabaw
"Durian is Here"

Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:59 PM   #9
driftwood
gomu gomu no...

Likes (Received): 0

Wow! That's really good news. Sana ma-maintain nila.

Nice photos, dinabaw. :okay:

"If you prick me, do I not... leak?" -- Data
driftwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:35 PM   #10
salamangkero
OFW

Likes (Received): 2

how to I get to the Eco Park coming from Espana?
salamangkero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:31 AM   #11
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 236

That's all natural right? Nothing man-made? :dunno:
Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:39 AM   #12
renell
Here Since 2002

Likes (Received): 4

There looks like there's a chlorine filled pool, but other than that... it's amazing to think this is in the vicinity of Metro Manila
Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:43 AM   #13
Askal82
woof! woof!

Likes (Received): 240

I never thought such a beautiful ecological paradise exist in middle of a bustling city. Planning a short visit to this place will be one of my sight seeing priorities on my next vacation.

Silent waters run deep
Askal82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:50 AM   #14
dinabaw
"Durian is Here"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiretoce View Post
That's all natural right? Nothing man-made? :dunno:
not really replanting the trees are made by man :colgate: but over all look its like in a natural setting :okay:
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:43 AM   #15
Lili
The Original is The Best

Likes (Received): 8

This is just adjacent our subdivision in Commonwealth, QC but I didn't get to visit it the last time I was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamangkero View Post
how to I get to the Eco Park coming from Espana?
HOW TO GET THERE
Take a Fairview-bound FX, bus, or jeepney. Or if you drive, drive to Fairview. You will be passing along Commonwealth Ave. and passing by the following landmarks: UP Diliman, Iglesia ni Cristo Templo Central, Ever Gotesco, Sandiganbayan, Litex, Mercury Drugstore Commonwealth (along Regalado Avenue).

For Cars: Turn right at East Fairview Subdivision’s Winston St. then right at Marlboro St. all the way to Pall Mall St. where you should turn left. Turn right at the first corner. You will enter the La Mesa Dam Guard House. There is only one road to take then turn left to the parking lot, in front of which is the gate to the park. The lagoon is further down the path.

For Commuters: Get off at the East Fairview Subdivision. At the gate, you should find plenty of tricycles that can take you to the Eco Park.

Xocóatl is my elixir.
Lili no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 06:38 AM   #16
salamangkero
OFW

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lili View Post
This is just adjacent our subdivision in Commonwealth, QC but I didn't get to visit it the last time I was there.

HOW TO GET THERE
Take a Fairview-bound FX, bus, or jeepney. Or if you drive, drive to Fairview. You will be passing along Commonwealth Ave. and passing by the following landmarks: UP Diliman, Iglesia ni Cristo Templo Central, Ever Gotesco, Sandiganbayan, Litex, Mercury Drugstore Commonwealth (along Regalado Avenue).

For Cars: Turn right at East Fairview Subdivision’s Winston St. then right at Marlboro St. all the way to Pall Mall St. where you should turn left. Turn right at the first corner. You will enter the La Mesa Dam Guard House. There is only one road to take then turn left to the parking lot, in front of which is the gate to the park. The lagoon is further down the path.

For Commuters: Get off at the East Fairview Subdivision. At the gate, you should find plenty of tricycles that can take you to the Eco Park.
many thanks Lili!
salamangkero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #17
bonixx

Likes (Received): 61

Kool Place,di mo mafefeel ang pollution ng Commonwealth pag nasa Eco Park ka, i like Rock climbing ,Boating, Rapelling dyan...syempre di mawawala yung Cycling,swimming at site seeing...nung punta ko jan may ginagawang hotel.
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #18
dinabaw
"Durian is Here"

^^ nako ha hindi dapat may hotel diyan ang laki ng Manila diyan pa nila ilalagay dapat camping site or log houses lang.
Old March 4th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #19
r93k401

Likes (Received): 15

Is it true that Payatas dumpsite is just to the right of La Mesa Dam? Check this link...
http://www.wikimapia.org/#y=14712131...15&l=0&m=a&v=2

:ohno:
r93k401 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #20
kennethologist
Gettin' down with 3P!

Likes (Received): 47

it's kinda weird that ngayon lang nagawan ng thread to while i was rooting for this back in the past QC threads... kaso puro malls na pinag-uusapan sa thread na yun... it's even harder to create a separate thread then with all the regionalism and everything.... (you know... post now kung hindi appealing, see it never sa frontpage) it's even weirder ngayon palang nagtatanong ang mga SSCers (specifically the oldies) kung saan ba talaga eto...

yes SSCers.. we do have a beautiful park in the metro...

Tags
nature reserves, philippines

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: