daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation All about taking us higher

Closed Thread

Old May 6th, 2005, 04:07 PM   #1
tq
i'm a hanoian

Likes (Received): 81

largest airport

Which city will get the largest airport in the world?
Dubai, Peking or another city?
Are more big projects under the way?

Even Vietnam is building a big airport!
Construction of the "Long Thanh International Airport" will begin in 2007 on 5,000ha of Long Thanh Town, a city 100km far away from HCMC. The new airport will be able to receive 80-100 passengers a year.
So will it be one of the largest airport in asia or maybe even in the world?
tq no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old May 6th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #2
Jlagu
Usuario de Honor

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tq
Which city will get the largest airport in the world?
Dubai, Peking or another city?
Are more big projects under the way?

Even Vietnam is building a big airport!
Construction of the "Long Thanh International Airport" will begin in 2007 on 5,000ha of Long Thanh Town, a city 100km far away from HCMC. The new airport will be able to receive 80-100 passengers a year.
So will it be one of the largest airport in asia or maybe even in the world?
100 passengers a year? i hope they will be able to handle all those Cessnas
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #3
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 237

/\ 80-100 passengers a year! Oh no! What are we to do with those many people!
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:15 PM   #4
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 1

We know he meant 80-100 million passengers a year, but that is just as laughable! Maybe once Disney-Vietnam opens?
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:24 PM   #5
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 22

Dubai's current airport expansion will allow it to handle upto 70M passengers a year.
Krazy no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #6
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 22

Dubai gears up to handle 190m air passengers

Mar 24, 2005

The combined passenger handling capacity of Dubai's two airports - Dubai International and Jebel Ali - is projected to exceed 190 million passengers per year by 2010, an official said.

This figure include 70 million passengers passing through Dubai International Airport and 120 million through Jebel Ali Airport, Anita Mehra Homayoun, director of marketing and corporate communications in the Department of Civil Aviation, told the Dubai-based Gulf News yesterday.

Capacity expansion on this scale will elevate Dubai's position in the global aviation league tables and make it one of the most important hubs in the world. With the capacity to handle 190 million passengers per year, Dubai will also have the largest aviation infrastructure in the Middle East and North Africa.

"Development of the Jebel Ali Airport is still in the planning stage. We had to bring its development forward due to the strong growth experienced by Dubai and Emirates airline," Homayoun said.

When asked if one of the airports would be dedicated to Emirates, she said: "We are not yet sure what plan the government has in store for the existing Dubai International Airport, which is undergoing a massive $4.1 billion [Dh15 billion] expansion.

"Will it be dedicated to Emirates, or be totally demolished? We do not know yet. Things will become clear in the coming months." Dubai International Airport handled 21.7 million passengers last year, up by 20.2 per cent from the previous year's 18.06 million. About 25 million passengers are expected to pass through Dubai International Airport this year.

According to the latest industry reports, Atlanta topped the list of global airports in 2004, handling 83.57 million passengers, followed by Chicago (75.37 million) and Heathrow (67.34 million).

According to projections, Dubai International Airport will serve between 60 and 70 million passengers by 2010, reaching its saturation point.
Krazy no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #7
Nick in Atlanta

Well I guess we should all stop talking about other cities and just admit that Dubai is the greatest city in the world in every category imaginable! It wins...game over!
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:25 PM   #8
skynet126

Likes (Received): 0

80 million passengers airport sound crazy but still agreeable, 120 million passengers is just too crazy. No where in the world right now have this much passengers
skynet126 no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:41 PM   #9
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Atlanta
Well I guess we should all stop talking about other cities and just admit that Dubai is the greatest city in the world in every category imaginable! It wins...game over!

I agree, to much Dubai crap all over makes me sick of hearing one more word Dubai, Americans should have bombed that place in to smithereens and than at least we would have something to talk about.

You probably guessed I am lover of Dubai, lol, nooooooooot (sarcasm)

I think it is feudal backwood country with no freedom for majority of its inhabitants and corruption on scale you can only set in gunnies book of records stile, and democracy looks as close as North Pole.

Hate Dubai I think some one should open anti-Dubai thread where we can discuss all BS in UAE, and Dubai.

And Dubai will never handle more passengers than any of major European or American cities, and building an airport handling anything over 100 million passengers (when you only barely handle 20 million) is pure gluttony greed and ego gone array.

BTW, I think I saw some WMD in Dubai, can we please bomb that country asp, I mean like yesterday...

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Religion leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to bigotry, bigotry leads to suffering!!!" Mic of Orion
mic of Orion no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2005, 05:31 AM   #10
Nick in Atlanta

^I disagree totally with stuff like this. I'm not anti-Dubai.^

I just think that anytime a development is brought up it's just a matter of a few hours before someone replies telling how Dubai will be the biggest so and so in ten years. I say build it, fill it, and then tell me how great it is. I want to see some results, not "pie in the sky" plans that may or may not come true.
Old May 7th, 2005, 12:33 PM   #11
Sumeet

Location: Hong Kong (HK) : Bangkok (TH) : Melbourne (Aus) : Dubai (UAE)

i agree with you, build Dubai....one who has been to Dubai will only understand how great it is. Its an awesome city.
Sumeet no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #12
tq
i'm a hanoian

Oh...of course I meant 70-100 million, sorry .
tq no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #13
tq
i'm a hanoian

Which airport in SEA will be able to handle more passengers than the "Long Thanh Aiport" in Vietnam?
Maybe the new Bangkok airport?
tq no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #14
moncloa23

in june 2005 the biggest and largest airport is going to be Madrid Barajas terminal 4 , the biggest civil building in europe around 1 km large, connected with the 3 old terminals by a mechanic train without driver
moncloa23 no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #15
Tintin27

Likes (Received): 13

Actually I have never heard of the project till I read something bout it just now. Its quite ambitious as all other airports in the region has started with airport with say 15 - 20 million and then gradually expanding.. WEll, like how its mentioned in this article, they mite be looking for $8 billion airport finishing by 2011.
International airport set to land in Long Thanh

HCM CITY — Construction of a second southern international airport will begin in 2007, said an official of the Civil Aviation Authority of Viet Nam.

The Long Thanh International Airport will be located on a 5,000ha area in the southeast section of Long Thanh Town in the southern province of Dong Nai, some 60km to the east of HCM City.

The airport will have four runways, four terminals and modern facilities to receive 70 million passengers per year.

The first stage of the airport project is scheduled to finish in 2011.

CAAV officials said the Long Thanh International Airport could become one of the largest airports in the region. — VNS
Tintin27 no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #16
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)

190mppa for Dubai in 2010 is a bit far fetched! If DIA handles 25mn now, I think by 2010, Dubai's total maximum mppa would be around 60mppa. Now if that is for for maximum capacity by 2010, then Dubai will have large airports.......with very little aviation traffic!
nick_taylor no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #17
Ten
== Lord of Skeleton ==

Likes (Received): 118

the new bangkok airport will be able to handle up to 100 million passengers as it's complete project, as the first phase which will be open maybe next year will capable for 45 million passengers. What "LARGEST" do you mean? Area? or Terminal area? or no. of passenger? This BKK second airport's pretty huge as well.
Ten no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #18
satit28
Rukpong

Likes (Received): 10

If he means terminal..........
Bangkok International Airport will be done at the end of this year..............
Then i think Beijing...........
Then Dubai.......
satit28 no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #19
Saigonese
BANNED

Yeah I'm pretty sick of hearing the word "Dubai" as well. The place seems to be too boisterous and trying too hard to capture attention. How far could a tiny emirate go, let alone a small city of less than 1 million?
Saigonese no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #20
Ijud

KLIA upon full completion will be able to handle up to 120 mil. ppa... they can even upgrade further by accuiring the vacant palm tree plantations land around the current 10,000 hecters of land which is also currently one of the largest airport in terms of land size...
Ijud no está en línea  

Closed Thread