SkyscraperCity Forum banner
201 - 220 of 1,252 Posts
Just a concept but not bad
[/IMG]
Wow, great find! But when you say "just a concept," is there something that indicates this is not indicative of the design? The website just says:

Related commissioned us to create interior and exterior architectural perspectives to illustrate the prestigious Hudson Yards redevelopment project.
It's unfortunately a little vaguely worded, but I get more of an impression that this is the current design than something Piranha just came up with.

This feels like a refinement of the "staircase" design, as much as I like that model we've been seeing.

I agree with the above 425 Park comparison but I think the "floating" cantilevers work better here. I find the cross bracing and the proportions of Foster's tower awkward.

But whatever the shape ultimately winds up being, I think the base cantilevering out over the sidewalk is subtly spectacular, as are those alternating double-height lobbies on the middle section.

Wow, great find! But when you say "just a concept," is there something that indicates this is not indicative of the design? The website just says:

It's unfortunately a little vaguely worded, but I get more of an impression that this is the current design than something Piranha just came up with.
You might be right considering the kind of work they do, which more creating renderings and promotional videos, but we don't have anymore information beyond that so I'm not sure we can say this is an actual proposal. I hope it is.

Discussion starter · #214 · (Edited)
Woe, nice find is right. :cheers:

I would not necessarily say that this is a concept. This could be a design by KPF in its infancy, but at what stage? The big question afaic, Is this b4 the rendering we all have seen and know or was this just commissioned and this is the latest vision for 50 Hudson.

Piranha is just like Neoscape, Visualhouse, DBox's of the world who has been commissioned to make a rendering under the directions of their client, the developer or Architect. Frankly, I'm shocked Related at this stage even commissioned a marketing firm to imagine 50 Hudson at this point.

Could Related be planning for both 50 & 55 Hudson to rise at the same time??? :D

I'm half and half about this; I love the cantilevered base and the 'floating' set backs; but something doesn't seem quite right; it may be the proportions or the positioning of the boxes ontop of one another... I don't know

Also; to say this building is 50m shorter than the north tower supposedly; the height difference seems quite a bit bigger than that....

Woe, nice find is right. :cheers:

I would not necessarily say that this is a concept. This could be a design by KPF in its infancy, but at what stage? The big question afaic, Is this b4 the rendering we all have seen and know or was this just commissioned and this is the latest vision for 50 Hudson.

Piranha is just like Neoscape, Visualhouse, DBox's of the world who has been commissioned to make a rendering under the directions of their client, the developer or Architect. Frankly, I'm shocked Related at this stage even commissioned a marketing firm to imagine 50 Hudson at this point.

Could Related be planning for both 50 & 55 Hudson to rise at the same time??? :D
NY YIMBY has some commentary on the renderings:

50 Hudson Yards’ overall appearance is defined by blocky massing, with the tower divided between three sections. One of the building’s most notable features are double-height floors interspersed amongst the mid-levels, underlining both the flexibility of floor-plates, and the enormity of ceilings that would stretch above and beyond comparable new developments in Manhattan.

Flexibility is crucial given the shifting needs of financial companies, and by underscoring the potential for double-height floors — and column-free trading levels — Related is clearly making a play for a particular segment of the market.
AFAIK, the NYC area financial firms are shrinking...

http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/04/new-renderings-50-hudson-yards.html

201 - 220 of 1,252 Posts