daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Transportation-Infrastructure

Transportation-Infrastructure All about Bridges, Subways and Urban Transport, Railways, Maritime, Freeways and Highways » Aviation



Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #1
CarsonCaliBrotha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Carson, CA
Posts: 419
Likes (Received): 0

The Green Line and LAX

I fly somewhat frequently, and everytime I do, I take mass transit there, you know, save my mom some gas and all. But everytime I'm there, it amazes me how discreet the Green Line shuttle buses are. Sometimes they say "Green Line Shuttle" or "G-Metro Green Line" but hell, Yesterday I went the bus just said "Special". And it amazed me how many people it stopped by who had that look like "Okay....just where in the hell is this shuttle goiing?" If they want more people to ride they should make it stand out. Paint all shuttle buses different hues of green and put "METRO GREEN LINE SHUTTLE" on the side or something, nobody wants to ride a bus that says "Special". And the ones that do take Metro, I bet they get lost trying to find out just where the shuttle is unless they ask a drivver thats not going to a parking structure, as I did.
CarsonCaliBrotha no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #2
LAsam
Endless summer
 
LAsam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West LA
Posts: 452
Likes (Received): 0

Or better yet, we could extend the Green Line all of 1 mile to LAX!
LAsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #3
klamedia
Silver Lake
 
klamedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lost Angeles
Posts: 5,448
Likes (Received): 107

I think the plan is to extend the Green Line to parking lot B and then run a people mover from their to the airport. Unfortunately like NYC's A train + Airtran combo this is still not a one-seat ride. I'd much rather see the Green Line just make 1 stop inside the airport (not at every terminal) and then head on towards Venice. This would be the optimal configuration much like Chicago's Blue Line directly to O'Hare setup.
__________________
"Self defense is not violence" - Malcolm X
"I love Los Angeles. I love Hollywood. They're so beautiful. Everything's plastic, but I love plastic. I want to be plastic." - Andy Warhol
Minimum parking standards are fertility drugs for cars. - Donald Shoup
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #4
ArchiTennis
Angeleeeeeeeno
 
ArchiTennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,705
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonCaliBrotha View Post
I fly somewhat frequently, and everytime I do, I take mass transit there, you know, save my mom some gas and all. But everytime I'm there, it amazes me how discreet the Green Line shuttle buses are. Sometimes they say "Green Line Shuttle" or "G-Metro Green Line" but hell, Yesterday I went the bus just said "Special". And it amazed me how many people it stopped by who had that look like "Okay....just where in the hell is this shuttle goiing?" If they want more people to ride they should make it stand out. Paint all shuttle buses different hues of green and put "METRO GREEN LINE SHUTTLE" on the side or something, nobody wants to ride a bus that says "Special". And the ones that do take Metro, I bet they get lost trying to find out just where the shuttle is unless they ask a drivver thats not going to a parking structure, as I did.
haha...i had the same experiece heading out of LAX also...I had to ask a bus driver. He laughed at me he's like, "this is the bus"...doh! I should've known crazy nutts...how hard is it to
Quote:
put "METRO GREEN LINE SHUTTLE" on the side or something
ArchiTennis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:59 AM   #5
solongfullerton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 292
Likes (Received): 0

I know exactly why the shuttle isn't marked well. The airport is responsible for running the shuttle, and if people aren't parking at the airport, then they aren't making as much money.
solongfullerton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:48 AM   #6
The Baz
Season Tix Avail
 
The Baz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sunset Strip, West Hollywood
Posts: 342
Likes (Received): 0

God Bless America.
The Baz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:27 AM   #7
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"
 
Elsongs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 999
Likes (Received): 2

It's a conspiracy by the airport parking lobby to make transit access to an airport as inconvenient as possible.
__________________
"I prefer The Road Less Traveled -- There's less traffic there."
Elsongs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:47 PM   #8
CarsonCaliBrotha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Carson, CA
Posts: 419
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamedia View Post
I think the plan is to extend the Green Line to parking lot B and then run a people mover from their to the airport. Unfortunately like NYC's A train + Airtran combo this is still not a one-seat ride. I'd much rather see the Green Line just make 1 stop inside the airport (not at every terminal) and then head on towards Venice. This would be the optimal configuration much like Chicago's Blue Line directly to O'Hare setup.
I'd say a people mover is alot easier than a shuttle bus. It doesn't matter really if its not one ride. For anyone whos been to Hartsfield Jackson International in Atlanta, you know how useful those people movers are. Not to mention a bit more fun to ride than shuttle buses.

But even the airport, theres plenty of parking lots, outside the airport even. Their shuttles are accurately marked. Why not Metro?
CarsonCaliBrotha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #9
Skyblade
Chasing the skies
 
Skyblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Palmdale, California
Posts: 2,233
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by solongfullerton View Post
I know exactly why the shuttle isn't marked well. The airport is responsible for running the shuttle, and if people aren't parking at the airport, then they aren't making as much money.
Well the thing is that the buses used for the shuttle are common-use where it can be be repositioned for other routes like the parking lots and LAX transit center. Convenient for them, yes but it would be nice if they can dedicate a couple and slap a sticker for easier identification.
Skyblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu