SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | 30 Hudson Yards | 387m | 1270ft | 73 fl | Com

3M views 8K replies 861 participants last post by  NewYorkCity76 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Related Cos.
Architects Skidmore Owings & Merrill; Thomas Phifer & Partners; SHoP Architects and Diller Scofidio + Renfro; Kazuyo Sejima + Ryue Nishizawa; Handel Architects

Current design renderings (as of November 2012):

At night:
A nice new rendering published by MIR a couple of hours ago!

Illustration by MIR

Illustration by MIR

Large rendering

both pics by NYguy on pbase

renderings from https://www.visualhouse.co.uk/

D-Tower up close

IMG]http://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/Content/dynamic/hudson-yards-nyc-east-yards-dv-mir-122012.jpg[/IMG]

Scale models:

Earlier renders:

nyguy on PBase

from the brochure http://www.related.com/HudsonYards/images/Hudson Yards Brochure.pdf

the bottom pics are clearly older renderings, but going by this, the mixed use tower is taller than the coach tower was before it's height reduction

================================================================================================================

Older renderings:

Extell Development Company
Architect Steven Holl Architects

Tishman Speyer Properties and Morgan Stanley
Architects Helmut Jahn and Peter Walker

Related Companies
Architects Kohn Pedersen Fox, Robert A.M. Stern, Arquitectonica
Financial Partner Goldman Sachs

Durst Organization and Vornado Realty Trust
Architects FXFowle and Pelli Clarke Pelli

[/I]

First design:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A platform primer:

See less See more
1 13
#82 ·
Eh? Are you seriously saying this...

...isn't classy enough for New York? It's a great design. Just because it isn't boxy doesn't mean it's not classy lol. Those twins are considerably better than the Freedom Tower...

Edit: I just realised, this is actually a very futuristic looking design, I hope to one day see it in the flesh if this is what gets built. I really like it/them.
ALL I can say is WOW

#84 · (Edited)
:rant:" Horrible! ".... and, not just for NYC. :rant: Because If NYC approves It, Every other so-called " progressive " city in America will want Something like It.

BEWARE [of idiocy]

People say that the thing between the two skyscrapers looks like the new station at the WTC, but I don't think so; it's quite different and more open.

#89 ·
I'm going to be controversial and say I don't like the Brookfield proposal - it looks too much like something in Dubai or China. It doesn't compliment the New York skyline enough. I think of New York as having a certain look from the golden age of skyscrapers and this competes with that too much.

#90 ·
Your 'golden age' is over. Of course newer buildings are going to clash with the old, but that is the beauty, when you see the two together. Just look at London, with a tiny church with the massive Swiss Re Tower behind it. Makes for a fantastic juxtaposition.

These towers are very modern, even futuristic. And I think they look too classy for Dubai. These belong in more of a world city, such as New York. They are really nice, elegant towers, sleek towers. NYC is lucky to have them, if they are infact the chosen design.

#91 ·
I think it is too expensive to build them like the 'golden age' as you put it. I may be wrong but the materials used during that time are alot more expensive. Besides I'd rather have the variety we are getting nowdays. There are tons of art deco and neo classical and beaux arts skyscrapers all around the island. What we need now is the glass. It will all blend in just fine. The island has blended pomo with modern and brutalism and art deco, why not this?
The buildings probably won't look similar to what is being proposed in the Brookfield bid or any of them. Out of the layout, however, I choose Brookfield. Just looks better than all the others put together. Durst was growing on me but I really don't like that wedge of light idea. Brookfield is the only one that doesn't provide that scene.

#93 ·
These are really good news: another new super-cluster for NYC, besides the second edition of the WTC! :cheer:
And I think the design for Hudson Yards is among the best ever in the whole Big Apple. :applause:

I hope it will raise in a view years. Together with other projects like 366 10th Avenue, Hudson Yards will totally change the neighborhood near Conventionel Center. And the midtown skyline gets closer to the Hudson River, as one also can see from the u/c River Place II Towers further to the North.

On the thread of the last-mentioned buildings, I found the following GoogleEarth Shot from NYGuy's pbase account:

Hudson Yards should be the two Brookfield towers to the right, right?

#94 ·
^^ I think its the whole 13MSF development with maybe those two Brookfiels towers, but maybe they are more related with the Penn station /MSG development? :)

#97 ·
^Well I guess some people weren't expecting every plan to be so tall and to have such an impact.
In a way we will see an alternative Midtown being built in the years ahead of us. As of today midtown is mostly 50s-60s towers. Mostly a box shape buildings. So these will be a fresh new change. I think that the Brookfield proposal is something between Paris and China tendencies in skyscraper building today. But the addition of park and eventually Penn station, Javitz center expansion and new MSG will make it completely unique.

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1
#98 ·
On the thread of the last-mentioned buildings, I found the following GoogleEarth Shot from NYGuy's pbase account:

Hudson Yards should be the two Brookfield towers to the right, right?
The two Brookfield towers are a different, independent development. The Hudson Yards project is the 13 msf one over the railyards, (boxed in).

Keep in mind though, that all of the developments to the north of the railyards are also known as Hudson Yards developments because of the rezoning plan put in place a few years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.