SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | 30 Hudson Yards | 387m | 1270ft | 73 fl | Com

3M views 8K replies 861 participants last post by  NewYorkCity76 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Related Cos.
Architects Skidmore Owings & Merrill; Thomas Phifer & Partners; SHoP Architects and Diller Scofidio + Renfro; Kazuyo Sejima + Ryue Nishizawa; Handel Architects

Current design renderings (as of November 2012):

At night:
A nice new rendering published by MIR a couple of hours ago!

Illustration by MIR

Illustration by MIR

Large rendering

both pics by NYguy on pbase

renderings from https://www.visualhouse.co.uk/

D-Tower up close

IMG]http://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/Content/dynamic/hudson-yards-nyc-east-yards-dv-mir-122012.jpg[/IMG]

Scale models:

Earlier renders:

nyguy on PBase

from the brochure http://www.related.com/HudsonYards/images/Hudson Yards Brochure.pdf

the bottom pics are clearly older renderings, but going by this, the mixed use tower is taller than the coach tower was before it's height reduction

================================================================================================================

Older renderings:

Extell Development Company
Architect Steven Holl Architects

Tishman Speyer Properties and Morgan Stanley
Architects Helmut Jahn and Peter Walker

Related Companies
Architects Kohn Pedersen Fox, Robert A.M. Stern, Arquitectonica
Financial Partner Goldman Sachs

Durst Organization and Vornado Realty Trust
Architects FXFowle and Pelli Clarke Pelli

[/I]

First design:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A platform primer:

See less See more
1 13
#122 ·
I like the Brookfield one the most, its an emazing dense cluster.....its like another city within the city.....I hope this will get build.......or why they dont choose Fosters former WTC design twin tower and build them there with smaller towers surrounding it....this would be the perfect solution IMO!

Just to remeber this is an image of the Foster proposal for GZ! And imagine now this one in midtown....AMAZING!

#125 · (Edited)
I'd like to point out that no matter which plan wins, NYC will be gettting at least three new supertalls and as many as six or seven for just this project alone.

-The Tishman one has two 900 foot tall twins and two 1,100 foot tall twins, plus many others.
-The Brookfirld plan has 1x 1,300, four towers over 900 feet tall, a 1,020-footer, and a 800 footer, plus MANY others.
-The Extell one has the triplet towers that are 1,240' tall and a 800' tower and half a dozen well over 700 feet, plus others.
-The Related/Goldman plan has an amazing 1,100' tall tower and 2 towers over 960 feet tall, plus MANY other skyscrapers.
-The VORNADO/DURST plan has the 1,200 foot tall tower and three over 800' and one over 900' tall, plus many other skyscrapers.

-That 1,000 foot tall res. tower and the 760+-footer by Holl and others are going up too.

No matter what happens, there will be at least be one 1,100-foot-tall tower (to its roof) and a s**tload of other skyscrapers. At most, there will be a plethora of supertall skyscrapers and other towers. It's a third WTC.

#127 ·
Eat your hearts out:

The base is utterly amazing, like Freedom Tower's and it has things in common with the WTC.

Skyline views:

Wait till the area to the left and right of this gets more towers, and wait till some taller supertalls go up behind it...

ALL of the plans are very amazing. Whine all you want, it's all still mind-blowing, even the massive double twin pairs of Tishamn and Extell triplet towers. Supertalls will CONSTANTLY be u/c here till 2020 and beyond.

#133 ·
Yeah, it does hide the ESB, but only from New Jersey. Nobody cares about New Jersey anyway...
Somehow I do care about NJ, but it only hides it if you view ESB directly across the Hudson. So if you move to the side a little bit you will still see everything.

#134 ·
From Crain’s: Developers with Anchor Tenants Have the Edge
Posted on December 17, 2007 by katieatthehighline
Crain’s New York Business reports today that the three developers who have lined up anchor tenants for the rail yards site, Related, Durst/Vornado and Tishman Speyer, have an advantage in the eyes of the MTA.

Crain’s’ Theresa Agovino reports:

The three leading contenders have each bid about $1 billion for the yards, sources say, and all have the deep pockets to finance the project. But insiders say the MTA may push for the three to join forces so it can keep all the tenants and avoid disappointing any of the politically connected developers. The MTA plans to make a decision in the first quarter, although that deadline could be extended, according to a spokesman for the agency.

“I think they will try to get us all to work together, if possible,” says an executive at one of the developers.

While it’s apparent that the rail yards site will look different from any of the proposals unveiled in November, it’s hard to picture how a collaboration between the three frontrunners might pan out. The new rail yards would be new mega-corporate district developed from scratch, housing Conde Nast, News Corp and Morgan Stanley, and a host of architects and planners with competing visions.

3 bidders take lead at rail yards
The three development teams that have lined up major tenants are the front-runners in the high-stakes competition to develop the Hudson Rail Yards.

Tenants bring credibility and increase the ability of a developer to obtain financing, giving The Related Companies, a joint venture between Tishman Speyer and Morgan Stanley, and a partnership between The Durst Organization and Vornado Realty Trust the inside track. Extell Development Co. and Brookfield Properties are considered long shots.

Companies covet the parcel, which is owned by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, because the 26-acre site is the last large development site in Manhattan. The size of the site will allow the builder to create an entire new neighborhood and leave an enormous legacy in the city.

The three leading contenders have each bid about $1 billion for the yards, sources say, and all have the deep pockets to finance the project. But insiders say the MTA may push for the three to join forces so it can keep all the tenants and avoid disappointing any of the politically connected developers. The MTA plans to make a decision in the first quarter, although that deadline could be extended, according to a spokesman for the agency.

“I think they will try to get us all to work together, if possible,” says an executive at one of the developers.

Not possible, insist others. Forging partnerships would be overwhelmingly complicated by the conflicting concepts and designs for the site. For example, Related views the site as a media industry center, anchored by its tenant News Corp. Meanwhile, Tishman Speyer/Morgan Stanley says that the area is perfect for constructing the large buildings with megatrading floors desired by financial firms. Morgan Stanley plans to erect its headquarters at the location.

The Durst/Vornado venture has Conde Nast Publications as a tenant, so a partnership with Related might make sense. But some real estate executives worry that if Related or the Durst/Vornado partnership wins the Hudson Yards bid, there’s a risk of one or two developers having too much control of an area. Vornado and Related are already partners in developing Moynihan Station nearby. Others counter that such a scenario would give the neighborhood more cohesion.

Those conflicting views illustrate how difficult a decision will be. One fact is certain: Once a developer is selected, the plan will be revised to address concerns and possibly add portions of other proposals.

Center stage

News Corp. will sponsor activities such as concerts and movie screenings that will draw the public to the site, says Stephen Ross, Related’s chairman. “News Corp. activates the space,” says Mr. Ross.

He says that programs at the site would be broadcast around the world, putting New York’s waterfront at center stage.

Still, some don’t relish the “Neighborhood by News Corp.” concept, suggesting Hudson Yards shouldn’t be a corporate branding opportunity, especially for a figure like the company’s controversial chairman, Rupert Murdoch.

The Durst/Vornado bid also comes with a tenant, but Conde Nast isn’t the proposal’s strategic focus. “We’ve envisioned parks surrounded by buildings.” says Rafael Pelli, an architect working on the project. “We worked hard not to think of this as just an office complex.”

The plan calls for more residential space than any of the other contenders’ plans. An elevated walkway and a proposal for an airport-like people mover to ferry individuals from Penn Station to the site using existing underground tracks are other features of the bid.

However, the plan wouldn’t keep all of the High Line, the now-defunct rail system that rings the yards. Retaining the entire structure is a major community objective, so there would be pressure from activists on the Durst/Vornado team to alter its plan.

The Tishman Speyer/Morgan Stanley proposal also doesn’t retain the entire High Line, so it would face the same lobbying effort. Affordable housing is also very important to the community, so activists may push the MTA to demand that Tishman Speyer/Morgan Stanley add more units. Of the major contenders, it is offering the fewest residential units with 3,000, including about 300 designated for affordable housing. The partnership says it is flexible.

Jerry Speyer, chairman of Tishman Speyer, says it is important to recognize that the project can play a key role in keeping companies, especially those in the important financial services sector, in New York in the midst of an office space shortage. The partnership’s plan calls for more office space than any other. Morgan Stanley would build a 3 million-square-foot tower, and Mr. Speyer says a similar structure could also be erected for another financial services firm.

Although considered long shots, the Extell and Brookfield proposals were lauded by some community members for their public benefits. Extell’s plan offers more public space than any other. Brookfield’s proposal, which strays from the MTA’s guidelines, was praised for blending into the neighborhood.

DEVELOPERS’ COMPETING OFFERS

DEVELOPER Brookfield Properties
TENANT None
OFFICE SPACE 6.3 million sq. ft.
RESIDENTIAL SPACE 4.4 million sq. ft.
PUBLIC SPACE 15.4 acres

DEVELOPERS The Durst Organization/Vornado Realty Trust
TENANT Conde Nast Publications
OFFICE SPACE 5.4 million sq. ft.
RESIDENTIAL SPACE 6.4 million sq. ft.
PUBLIC SPACE 15.6 acres

DEVELOPER Extell Development Co.
TENANT None
OFFICE SPACE 5.8 million sq. ft.
RESIDENTIAL SPACE 5.6 million sq. ft.
PUBLIC SPACE 19 acres

DEVELOPER The Related Companies
TENANT News Corp.
OFFICE SPACE 5.7 million sq. ft.
RESIDENTIAL SPACE 5.3 million sq. ft.
PUBLIC SPACE 15 acres

DEVELOPERS Tishman Speyer/ Morgan Stanley
OFFICE SPACE 10 million sq. ft.
RESIDENTIAL SPACE 3 million sq. ft.
PUBLIC SPACE 13 acres

#135 ·
A part of me does want Tishman to win. It would be like building another WTC in terms of office space, what really makes a city powerful. No matter who wins, again, NY wins. I think it's 100% stupid to say that nothing will be picked and no towers will go up.

#138 ·
A part of me does want Tishman to win. It would be like building another WTC in terms of office space, what really makes a city powerful. No matter who wins, again, NY wins. I think it's 100% stupid to say that nothing will be picked and no towers will go up.
Oh I am positive something will be picked. But given overwhelming support for Brookfield it is not fair to pick another one. So i got a bit upset by the above article. Of course there is nothing personal about it - it is only business. but.... my voice is for Brookfield for its higher tower, nicer park and much more futuristic look

#140 ·
Man, that's a big letdown. Brookfield is just a long shot? That sucks:( Of those three that are being considered, Durst's is the only one I really like. But I have a sneaking suspicion that Tishman will probably take this because of how much office space it has... but it certainly doesn't have the most impressive design...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.