search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2009, 09:07 PM   #601
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolph View Post
It makes me want to scream out loud that this sort of set design nonsense has so many supporters.
What is wrong with it? It follows the classical principles very closely. All you could criticize it for is not being "daring" as a classical building. Much of the criticism on this threa d here has actually revealed many of us have never looked closely at a classical building. The who criticism on the colmns and roof ballustrades is the best example.
JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2009, 11:20 PM   #602
WrightTurn

Likes (Received): 21

Looks more American with the columns surrounding large windows than it does British.
WrightTurn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:52 PM   #603
randolph

Likes (Received): 1396

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGG View Post
What is wrong with it? It follows the classical principles very closely. All you could criticize it for is not being "daring" as a classical building. Much of the criticism on this threa d here has actually revealed many of us have never looked closely at a classical building. The who criticism on the colmns and roof ballustrades is the best example.
As a piece of set design it is ok. But that is what it is - set design. As I have said many times buildings have a historical and contextual 'meaning' This style is about imperialism - something we left behind a long time ago. Building this way is also about nostalgia and an inability to percieve 'beauty' in the contemporary world.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM   #604
hugh

Likes (Received): 1209

Quote:
As a piece of set design it is ok. But that is what it is - set design. As I have said many times buildings have a historical and contextual 'meaning' This style is about imperialism - something we left behind a long time ago. Building this way is also about nostalgia and an inability to percieve 'beauty' in the contemporary world.
Absolutely agree.
hugh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #605
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2916

Hi there,

Do you guys have some renders of the new Tottenham Court Road area? What's gonna replace the Astoria building =( and those nearby?

I cannot wait to see that,'cause I'm puzzled...

By the way,I do like the new victorian style building U/C as well,a more modern style would not have been suitable at all,so it couldn't be differently,I'm happy with it!

Bye folks.

A "frog" loving London.
Jex7844 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:46 AM   #606
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1639

^ The Astoria and neighbours have been demolished to make way for the new Crossrail station and Tube interchange.
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #607
Langur
Londinium langur

Quote:
What a load of nonsense. It's just a fine building and people respond well to it. Modernism employs set designs to even greater extent. And what's "imperialistic" about building in our own tradition in our own city? How is that an imposition on another culture or people? And of all the facets of imperialism, architecture is surely the weakest case for its critics. The architectural legacy of the British Empire is very fine indeed. Go and look at the splendour of old Bombay, Calcutta, Shanghai, or Singapore, lounge on a long cane chair on a colonnaded tropical veranda (preferably with a sun-downer of pink gin ), and then tell me that Empire couldn't do architecture....
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #608
dom

Likes (Received): 9

There's nothing wrong with this building. Looks quite handsome... good job all round.
Old November 24th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #609
Vodski Bandit

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
What a load of nonsense. It's just a fine building and people respond well to it. Modernism employs set designs to even greater extent. And what's "imperialistic" about building in our own tradition in our own city? How is that an imposition on another culture or people? And of all the facets of imperialism, architecture is surely the weakest case for its critics. The architectural legacy of the British Empire is very fine indeed. Go and look at the splendour of old Bombay, Calcutta, Shanghai, or Singapore, lounge on a long cane chair on a colonnaded tropical veranda (preferably with a sun-downer of pink gin ), and then tell me that Empire couldn't do architecture....
Well said indeed Langur, I agree 100%.
Vodski Bandit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #610
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 1987

Quote:
Amen, preach!
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:32 PM   #611
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2916

Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:48 PM   #612
delores

Likes (Received): 461

Yes bombed and demolished in the 1960's and what are they thinking of replacing the lost buildings that have made way for crossrail? Funny nothings been really shown yet apart from some god awful massing images? too embarrassed pehaps?
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #613
Langur
Londinium langur

http://www.qftarchitects.com/project...courtroad.php#

Old February 9th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #614
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1201

I like this building, but the proportions are a bit awkward, it needs a bigger roof to balance it out. the facade also lacks a centre or focal point, and it looks more like a side elevation than a front entrance, which is disappointing. i think it would've worked better if the columns were arranged differently so that there was a central thrust, main doorway etc, with a central feature at the roof. the horizontal emphasis looks poor in contrast with the vertical emphasis of the building to the north and the dorothy perkins building, which both have a vertical emphasis and much better proportions. this building in contrast disperses your perception to nowhere and is an anti-climax.

this looks better right up close, focusing on the high quality finish and details, rather than the overall shape, which is disappointing.

6/10

Last edited by johnnypd; February 9th, 2010 at 01:19 PM.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #615
Octoman
Just Relax

Likes (Received): 6025

Looks very classy IMO and has had a genuine effect of making a rather ugly junction look a bit more classy. I would love for the curve of buildings demolished by crossrail also to be replaced with something stylish like this but I have a terrible feeling that it will be yet more bland boxes with large sheets of plate glass either all over or at street level for the retail.
Octoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #616
delores

Likes (Received): 461

Hmmm i suspect your right..but pehaps Camden Council will be brave again and ask for something replacing the original buildings like for like...
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #617
Langur
Londinium langur

Check out the link and browse through Quinlan Terry's projects, read his essays, etc. It's fascinating, and he's built some really lovely buildings in London and around Britain. Although I wouldn't want everything like this, I'm really pleased we have a serious scholarly classical architect along with all the modernists. And yes he would be perfect for the Tottenham Court Road site.
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #618
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13279

Yes, fantastic pics there. How anyone can be "offended" by this building is beyond me.
Old February 13th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #619
LittleTex

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Check out the link and browse through Quinlan Terry's projects, read his essays, etc. It's fascinating, and he's built some really lovely buildings in London and around Britain. Although I wouldn't want everything like this, I'm really pleased we have a serious scholarly classical architect along with all the modernists. And yes he would be perfect for the Tottenham Court Road site.
I totally agree with this...Mr Terry is not just some old school fantasist, he's an educated architect and scholar who knows what he is doing (I this particular area of architecture). I don't always agree with his style and interventions but I applaud him for being the most radical of architects because he is so conservative.

I think the buidling looks good...
LittleTex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 12:04 PM   #620
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6308

This has been nominated for entry into this year's Carbuncle Cup.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/uk/no...ze=10#comments
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote