search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #561
potto

Likes (Received): 9068

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingBetterToDo View Post
There's more than enough space around here for a mix of architectural styles - a whole block is being demolished for Crossrail, not to mention a few horrid 70's monstrosities that must surely be due for the wrecking ball in the next decade or so (hopefully sooner).

One building in a classical style can hardly be called a step in the wrong direction.
I mean the area should be exciting, it should have the wow factor, a mecca for retail
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #562
delores

Likes (Received): 462

That can only happen if the place is made more attractive and accessible which I believe this building has achieved in its own little way. It's the surrounding architecture that's pulled the place down, the lack of maintenance and the decaying nature of the place does not make this a mecca of retail. Until Crossrail and it's new buildings are built and the public domain improved substantially will there ever be a renaissance in this area.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #563
.Adam

Likes (Received): 777

There is still a lot of work to do here, but I really believe this building is a step in the right direction, if only that hotel was next on the demolition list... its such a shame the crossrail didn't include the destruction of a concrete brute that brings this area down, but thats just the way it goes I suppose!.
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #564
delores

The concrete brute is ruining this street and anyone who say's otherwise is mad, it’s a monstrosity of a building that just ruins any vista down Tottenham Court road with its dirty ugly bland crudity.
Old June 20th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #565
.Adam

I have to agree, its so over bearing it really does bring down the street, as does the building currently containing the Odeon and those cheap electrical shops, as I said a good masterplan, vision and identity is whats needed here. Tottenham Court road doesn't have an ideal, it doesn't have a vision yet... it is sort of known for its Home/ Interior Design shops, perhaps this is something that could influence / shape the area? Without a strong identity I fear this street will fail.
Old June 20th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #566
delores

Yes that building containing the Odeon is equally terrible, overbearing too high and alien to everything around it. Unfortunately until someone buys up this property and redevelops it I can't see it going anytime soon. I find that part of TCR quiet depressing until you reach the rather lovely buildings further down the road with the Home/ Interior design shops. It's also the fault of Camden for not really having any real vision for the area or trying to improve the street to accommodate the more high end shops.
Pehaps as you say a theme as the basis for TCR regeneration is a good start. But it's a bit more complex and should encompass entertainment too.
Old June 20th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #567
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

Some high end electrical shops would fit in too - the current crop are tatty and wouldn't be out of place on any suburban high street. As someone else mentioned earlier - places like the Apple Store etc. which add a bit of style and glamour are what's needed.

Also, maybe it's just me, but there seems to be about 20 Micro Anvica stores a long the street - is it really necessary?
Old June 20th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #568
.Adam

I think you have hit the nail on the head, High quality electrical / technology retail would be perfect here, it would also allow the intergration of say L.E.D. lighting and displays to be added with more relevance. Apple is the perfect example of what could work in this location.
Old June 20th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #569
.Adam

Imagine this juxtaposed with Terry's.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:25 PM   #570
Octoman
Just Relax

Likes (Received): 6028

The entrance to the new crossrail station will have a similar effect if you look towards it from the Trafalgar Square direction of Charing Cross Road with Terry's building in the background.
Octoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:28 PM   #571
.Adam

Actually now you have said it, this will be very similar indeed, if it turns out half as good as the apple store it will be a huge success!
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:20 PM   #572
Madman

Likes (Received): 38

^ I can assure you it won't be like the Apple store on 5th Ave - they spend exorbitant money on their flagship stores.

Had a lecture from one of the glass engineers in their store design team and the principal circular glass staircase in that runs only one storey and cost multiple millions whilst that above structure alone apparently cost tens of millions (its all structural glass beams etc etc).
Madman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #573
dom

Likes (Received): 9

Talking of old building styles I'd love it if the old Baltic Exchange could be rebuilt somewhere in the City.

I know this is impossible as the remnants have been bought and shipped to Estonia where it will be rebuilt in Tallinn but I'm sure a convincing replica could be assembled and the shipping magnates have more than enough cash to do it....
Old June 26th, 2009, 02:38 AM   #574
GazKinz

Likes (Received): 100

GazKinz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #575
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 1936

why dont we all go the whole hog and pretend we live in the olden days?

i'm off to buy a top hat, anyone know any good chimney sweeps?
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 04:03 AM   #576
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6251

Quote:
Originally Posted by future.architect View Post
why dont we all go the whole hog and pretend we live in the olden days?

i'm off to buy a top hat, anyone know any good chimney sweeps?
Yer enough of this trying to recreate old glorious architecture, lets get back to the modern day business of building glass boxes, and if we're feeling really zany, lets stick some random cladding on, that always works well, and gives people the illusion that we give a sh*t about whether a building should look good!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #577
potto

Likes (Received): 9068

Its handsome I`ll give it that, along with the nagging knowledge of it pretending to be from the Ewardian period. Its a bit like admiring Chers beauty. Yet countless modern buildings without the irrelevant Edwardian facade are handsome; there is an all-glass British Land building just up the road that springs to mind. The retail units will look stupid just like the ill-fitting units in the refurbished Edwardian building on Bloomsbury Square. However in that case the building really is Edwardian and has real impact due to size. The shame comes from a combination of the great lie and flicking through books on modern architecture from around the world for all sorts of uses, lets concentrate on retail and office here, then it is woeful.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #578
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post
The retail units will look stupid just like the ill-fitting units in the refurbished Edwardian building on Bloomsbury Square.
This is a good point and one that hasn't been photographed yet - the former Garfunkels restaurant that was here has returned, except the signage is now [inside] the building, partly obscured by the small curved arches.

I can't say I'd be happy if I was the manager of the branch.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #579
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6321

Looking at GazKinz photo above, I can't help but feel the whole thing, the quality, feels very 'mass-produced' and does not have the workmanship that other classical buildings had. A lot of modernist buildings get called this as well, which people believe to be the reason behind them being 'soulless'. I would have thought that goes against everything Terry believes in, and the more I look at it, it really does seem to be quite a soulless hollow building.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #580
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1639

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
This is a good point and one that hasn't been photographed yet - the former Garfunkels restaurant that was here has returned, except the signage is now [inside] the building, partly obscured by the small curved arches.

I can't say I'd be happy if I was the manager of the branch.
Yeah that's right, let's design our cities around the whims of Garfunkel's management. If only someone could ban that abysmal tourist trap! If they had any taste they would be able to make a wonderful interior with a frontage like that, the big arched windows etc....

You're trying much too hard to find reasons to dislike this building because it goes against your "modernist everwhere and at all costs" mantra. However to everyone else it's a hit.
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote