search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #581
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
However to everyone else it's a hit.
Not really, there's people on here that can examine and discuss buildings very well and have said that it isn't a well designed frontage. The problem is too many forumers here get misty eyed at anything that looks old and are unable to curtail those emotions when it comes to critiquing the building for what it is and not what it looks like. Thankfully we have experts who work in planning that do.

For me the worst part of the frontage is the cheap, gardening centre round stone crown wall that sits in front of the fake attic windows at the top. Awful.

The previous building on this site sat much more comfortably within the neighbouring properties, and I expect a crisp modernist frontage would have created a new relationship with them as well. Unfortunately this overblown classical mishmash sticks itself out thinking it is far more important than it actually is. It has neither the grace nor dignity of anything that already exists that was built in the style, but is a mere Tesco Value version of a premium brand.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #582
chrissyb
Lincoln - London - Greece

Likes (Received): 1

and if a Tesco express goes in at the ground floor.....we're really f**k#d.....
chrissyb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #583
The Sage
I want my LBT

Likes (Received): 1

TBH, a Tesco express would be quite appropriate for the site...
The Sage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #584
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8126

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
Estonia where it will be rebuilt in Tallinn.
I dont think thats the case.Estonian EH went mad ('not in keeping' 'will ruin') and the Baltic Exchange is now rotting away in some warehouse its future uncertain.
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #585
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1639

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Not really, there's people on here that can examine and discuss buildings very well and have said that it isn't a well designed frontage. The problem is too many forumers here get misty eyed at anything that looks old and are unable to curtail those emotions when it comes to critiquing the building for what it is and not what it looks like. Thankfully we have experts who work in planning that do.

For me the worst part of the frontage is the cheap, gardening centre round stone crown wall that sits in front of the fake attic windows at the top. Awful.

The previous building on this site sat much more comfortably within the neighbouring properties, and I expect a crisp modernist frontage would have created a new relationship with them as well. Unfortunately this overblown classical mishmash sticks itself out thinking it is far more important than it actually is. It has neither the grace nor dignity of anything that already exists that was built in the style, but is a mere Tesco Value version of a premium brand.
Oh rubbish! You're just annoyed that a neoclassical success story has (well deserved) popular resonance. You're trying far too hard DarJoLe....
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #586
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Could you please explain what is wrong with it?
JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #587
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1201

ironically this is a better building than what it replaced but sits less well with the buildings alongside it. yes it is more 'in keeping' in terms of materials and style but the neighbours have a vertical emphasis while this has a horizontal colonadde effect and this leaves the roof looking empty and anti-climactic. the previous building had some small cupolas that matched the verticality of its later neighbours. however i will say that the finish, detailing and quality of this building is pretty high and is not horrificaly out of context. the above is a minor complaint more than anything.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #588
dajumper
status imminent

Likes (Received): 5

I was there a couple of weeks ago and it looks amazing!
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #589
hugh

Likes (Received): 1209

I don't think the problem is that the building is so bad, but the question remains, why a 'copy' of an old building in a city with so many of the real thing? A well-designed, make that a capable, modernist building would have looked much better.
hugh está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #590
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 879

I donīt think anyone finds this building ugly. Itīs just against some peopleīs principles to build such buildings in the 21th century.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:14 AM   #591
Langur
Londinium langur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
I don't think the problem is that the building is so bad, but the question remains, why a 'copy' of an old building in a city with so many of the real thing? A well-designed, make that a capable, modernist building would have looked much better.
The reason it was built in this style is because an attractive old Victorian building was to be destroyed to make way for it. The buildings in this area are mainly old buildings in traditional styles. The modern buildings in this area, including the immediate neighbour to this site (St Giles Hotel) are generally hideous eyesores awaiting well-deserved demolition and replacement. That's why a classical design works better in this context. Only a modernist building of extraordinary quality (ie of the top 0.01% of them) would have looked better on this site. The other 99.99% of modernist buildings would have looked worse.
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #592
Langur
Londinium langur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
I donīt think anyone finds this building ugly. Itīs just against some peopleīs principles to build such buildings in the 21th century.
And that's exactly why I call them tasteless, cultureless, fundamentalist philistines.
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:16 AM   #593
Langur
Londinium langur

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
ironically this is a better building than what it replaced but sits less well with the buildings alongside it. yes it is more 'in keeping' in terms of materials and style but the neighbours have a vertical emphasis while this has a horizontal colonadde effect and this leaves the roof looking empty and anti-climactic. the previous building had some small cupolas that matched the verticality of its later neighbours. however i will say that the finish, detailing and quality of this building is pretty high and is not horrificaly out of context. the above is a minor complaint more than anything.
The columns themselves have strong vertical emphasis, and there are two rows of them. The tall narrow windows between the columns also have a vertical thrust.
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:30 AM   #594
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
The columns themselves have strong vertical emphasis, and there are two rows of them. The tall narrow windows between the columns also have a vertical thrust.
there is a strong vertical emphasis but the lack of either a third tier or a strong roof element means the thrust is lost and anti-climactic. at least when you see it from down charing cross anyway. i think it looks better up close, appreciating the high finish rather than the whole or the context. but as i said, pretty minor complaint and individually a solid building imo.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #595
samthelima

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Going back the facade itself, the mix of both volutes from the Ionic columns and acanthus leaves on the Corinthian columns is ridiculous, let alone the addition of Roman arches at the base level. Terry needs to relearn his Greek and Roman history.
You need to relearn YOUR history. Columns of the same order are almost NEVER stacked on eachother. Doric goes beneath Ionic, Ionic beneath Corinthian, etc.

Look at the coloseaum.

Take the time to learn something before you write nonsense.
samthelima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #596
hugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthelima View Post
You need to relearn YOUR history. Columns of the same order are almost NEVER stacked on eachother. Doric goes beneath Ionic, Ionic beneath Corinthian, etc.

Look at the coloseaum.

Take the time to learn something before you write nonsense.
Perhaps you need to learn your spelling.
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #597
samthelima

Likes (Received): 0

Haha, colosseum, touche
samthelima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:11 AM   #598
pmun

Likes (Received): 14

communication is more important than spelling. This isn't school.
pmun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:19 AM   #599
hugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmun View Post
communication is more important than spelling. This isn't school.
No really? Note the context.

Last edited by hugh; August 21st, 2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old August 21st, 2009, 02:35 PM   #600
randolph

Likes (Received): 1396

It makes me want to scream out loud that this sort of set design nonsense has so many supporters.