daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 291 votes, 4.91 average.
Old Today, 04:32 PM   #10401
tankbund

Likes (Received): 96

communication gap

Mr 532

You make a lot of sense, as always. Yes, there is truth in what you say, but that is not the entire story. I think we are missing the point and talking past each other. I am not against the metro (I am a train buff). I prefer train travel over any other means of transport. Keeping that aside, the discussion is about the impact of metro trains in resolving traffic issues, cost of development, timing etc. I think we are talking apples and oranges.

China can build any thing it wants. It has trillions of $$$ in the bank and in money that people owe them, mainly America. They are not only building metros, they are building freeways, airports, bullet trains, unwanted malls, and atom bombs at breakneck speed (not PPP, cold cash).

India is not in the same league as of now. Example, the central Govt. is looking to PPP to fund such projects (it has no money). The question is what are the benefits of a metro as compared to the level of expenditure at the present juncture. The present Govt. has made a smart move to cut expenditures on Metros. They do not provide the bang for the buck. The Govt. should concentrate on providing basic amenities first.

The above is a policy discussion. It is interesting to note that people who were singing praises about the metro and its impact on pollution and traffic are changing their tune. Now they say it has none or little impact. It is well established that Metros do not reduce and have a minimal impact on traffic, and in some cases actually may increase traffic. With few exceptions, the inconvenience of mass transport is its major flaw and can never address the needs of a large percentage of population.

The other issue is re-alignment that you have touched on. Life is not logical, it is based on emotion and other human weaknesses, but that is what makes it interesting. You are making accusations of corruption without basis. If corruption was the issue, this fellow would have been in jail a long time ago, don't you think. He was and is the center of hatred for the former Govt. and many on this forum. Is he a superman to escape the wrath of his powerful enemies.

Basically, your entire argument hinges on the premise that we will make the same old mistakes of the past.

Don't be mistaken that I am against HMR. Nothing is farther from the truth. My suggestions are for improvement, not abandonment.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikiran532 View Post
Shangai has 540 kms [ no doubt largest in the world]of metro..and another 150km under construction in both cities.... even after construction of mega metros in beijing and shangai[ both have 6/8 ring roads too] ..these cities traffic is huge..probably 10 times of mumbai..pollution is big problem to these cities [ after fast track economic development most of the families own car/cars like in US]..and rideship in these metros is some where near 1 crore.[ which is huge too]..

and regarding re-alignment in line 2 and 1 dont take it seriously..namaste telangana is owned by KCR..naturally they will report in that matter positively[ unfortunately papers became mouthpieces no news can be trusted now..till implemention]..I dont expect any thing to move[ inside sources say there wont be realignment]..L&T is too big company with influential background to be bogged down by KCR.. they are taking this issue seriously..

In fact the problem is.. on starting an infra project every political party gets a piece of cake ,but L&T denied it to KCR..now after coming to power he wants that piece of cake but L&T is denying it because..it is saying they already distributed it..so KCR wants to create hurdles..[ YSR haunted ramoji[ he is no saint] in this way only with help of vundavalli]
to me even the alternate route[ badichowdi is also "heritage market" with many merchants] is also not feasible..
tankbund está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old Today, 06:22 PM   #10402
Cygnus-X1

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMReddy View Post
Private transportation is nice if you have unlimited supply of oil or others resources to move vehicles and planned cities with wide roads, ala USA. Unfortunately India has neither so comfortable public transportation coupled with ability to use private vehicles when and where necessary is the way to go.
Exactly - but cities in countries that have had lot of resources & built huge road networks still have traffic congestion (USA, Japan, European countries & more recently China), but spread out on a much larger scale with huge number of vehicles since they have more roads.
The point is we have far less road space than cities elsewhere & are diverting resources to metro rail instead of massive road widening, which will wean a substantial percentage of people to metro rails. Pity that some people can never understand that metro helps cities to halt massive road augmentation which also means limiting vehicle emission & air pollution.
Cygnus-X1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:25 PM   #10403
ZaheerH

Likes (Received): 161

edit

Last edited by ZaheerH; Today at 06:39 PM.
ZaheerH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:28 PM   #10404
ZaheerH

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMReddy View Post
Private transportation is nice if you have unlimited supply of oil or others resources to move vehicles and planned cities with wide roads, ala USA. Unfortunately India has neither so comfortable public transportation coupled with ability to use private vehicles when and where necessary is the way to go.
Who says the USA is promoting private transportation? That was like 50 years ago. Now, they are making every effort for people to use public transport (AKA mass transit). There are groups that oppose every new road project or road widening project because it facilitates more vehicles on the road. The Federal money is mostly used for public transportation (trains, buses). Whenever a lane is added to the highway it is dedicated to a vehicle with more than one passenger or a bus. In the picture below, HOV stands for High Occupancy Vehicle.

Last edited by ZaheerH; Today at 06:46 PM.
ZaheerH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:33 PM   #10405
tankbund

Likes (Received): 96

contradictory and misleading

Mr Zaheer

You are posting a pic in complete contradiction to your position.

Show me one significant project in the USA (don't give me NYC example time and again, it is an exception) where mass transportation projects are being implemented. Almost all studies have shown that these rail projects are prohibitive and do not serve the purpose.

The HOV lane justifies my position on individual mass transportation. Even those lanes are only moderately popular. Most Americas do not use them.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaheerH View Post
Who says the USA is promoting private transportation? That was like 50 years ago. Now, they are making every effort for people to use public transport (AKA mass transit). There are groups that oppose every new road project or road widening project because it facilitates more vehicles on the road. The Federal money is mostly used for public transportation (trains, buses). Whenever a lane is added to the highway it is dedicated to a vehicle with more than one passenger or a bus. In the picture below, HOV stands for High Occupancy Vehicle.

tankbund está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
hyderabad, metro

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: