daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Sheffield Metro Area

Sheffield Metro Area For Sheffield, Doncaster and Rotherham

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 12th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #1
S.Yorks Capital

Likes (Received): 1

Castlegate development news

The decision to move the Sheffield markets from Castlegate to a new purpose built facility was approved this week and the new market is expected to be complete in two years time. Also this week the Old Post office building is expected to be approved by devolpers to undergo extensive re-devolpment into apartments, a four star boutique hotel, restuarants and offices. As well as a ten story tower adjacent to it there will also be exterior works to the building including night time lighting, renovation etc.

Sheffield's current market:

Old Post Office:

S.Yorks Capital no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 12th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #2
atc367squadron
My city of Sheffield!

needs deleting, posted twice because the forum is so slow at the min.
atc367squadron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #3
atc367squadron
My city of Sheffield!

I think the move of the markets to the moor is really significant but i just hope that castle gate doesn't become just 'offices' when they redevelop it. I just have a feeling its going to cut out places such as the wicker and the quays etc even more than they are now. I suppose only time will tell.
atc367squadron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #4
dinp
Such posts. Much content.

Likes (Received): 114

For the love of god, the correct spelling is DEVELOPMENT

Thats TWO threads that play up to the 'Yorkshire Simpleton' stereotype!!
Old March 13th, 2006, 12:46 AM   #5
snup

Likes (Received): 0

Sheffield Castle remains and Castlegate development

Great news that the Markets will finally move. Now we can focus on what to do with this area in a few years time once the place has been flattened.

The area that is referred to is the area along Castlegate and the remains of Sheffield Castle are right beneath the Castle Markets.

I have actually been down to the cellars of the Castle Market to see some remains of the foundations of the castle and although they can only show a small bit they look impressive and once the markets have been demolished I am positive some more interesting remains will be found.

An impression of how Sheffield Castle may have looked like.

The Council has, as far as I can remember, back in 2002 already expressed their interest to see any redevelopment incorporate the remains of the Castle which I believe would be fantastic. Some remains, and perhaps even some reconstruction of part of the castle walls, would provide a direct link to Sheffield's proud past. The River Don next to it is also a great asset to the city and currently not being used at all.

I do agree with 367squadron that redevelopment should ensure the area remains alive during day and night and ensure that that it pulls in the Wicker and the whole wider area so it becomes an integral part of the city centre.

In fact, we should even consider reconstrucing part of the Castle and incorporating a small museum. Wouldn't it be great to see a bit of wall reconstructed, pehaps even a tower just to give you an impression of how it may have looked like and make any remains really come to live and provide something interesting to look at. We really don't want something like the Manor remains, which, although interesting isn't really worth looking at (apart from the Turret House.)
Reconstruction would be the keyword for me.

Imagine, coming down a downgraded Castlegate at night from Park Square. Seeing the new Castle Tower development and restored Hancock and Lant building all lit up across the river Don on your right hand side.

The Hancock and Lant service road along the River Don is open to the public where you can find some nice catering establishments and terraces along the river banks which allows you good views of the castle remains. I never really had a look at it in close detail but is there some sort of a roofed area all along that stretch of river? below the surface road?

On the left of the river part of the Castle Wall has been reconstructed including a watchtower being illuminated at night. Behind it one can see an interesting mix of apartments and offices grouped around a new Castle Square where the remains of the Castle can be seen. The architectural style of each of these new buildings hints back to the castle in some way, either through use of material or shape. A small historical castle museum (Mary Queen of Scots, Earls of Shrewsbury) is located on the square or in the reconstructed watchtower. You can walk on top of the stretch of castle wall to look down towards the river.

At the end, on the corner of Castlegate and Waingate, some stricking architecture has been built with the restored LawCourts on the other corner. Perhaps that building could in its design even hint back at the remains of the Castle.

Turning right onto Lady's Bridge (also given a good clean, being downgraded just to allow public transport and pedestrians to cross it) and your on a downgraded and pedestrianised Wicker. The Wicker itself has been regenerated and downgraded for pedestrian use with old style street lighting, cobbled pavements and at the end of it the Wicker Arches, restored to its former glory. Of course the whole stretch of arches on the left of it has now been put to good use and is illuminated at night. Towering above all of that, the proposed Eco Tower.
Tramtracks will be laid from the Wicker arches all the way to the city centre and on special occasions and during the weekends Sheffield's Bus and Tram Museum will run an old tram from the Wicker to the City Centre. The Council will offer this transport for free to visitors and shoppers that park just outside the city centre in a new multistorey carpark that should be constructed just behind the Wicker arches. On their way to town they can jump off and have a look at the Castle remains while a local historical medieval society, dressed for the occassion of course, will be at hand to tell all about Sheffield's medieval times during weekends and holidays. After that off to the new Retail Quarter. A day out in Sheffield could be really fun.

Could this work? I believe it could. It may well be one of the last opportunities we have in the city centre to bring back to live some history, Medieval history that is.
How fantastic it would be to use the remains of the Castle to bring that part of our history in the public eye but also to use the remains as a catalyst for the whole Castlegate area. In Sheffield's case, it will perhaps not so much be about the quality of these remains, it will be about the context in which you place it and what you do with these remains that could make the difference.

What do you think? Just a daft vision or could these Castle remains be a real chance to add something truly special to the city centre? Let us once try to come up with something special, something different instead of opting for more mediocre buildings. I am sure Sheffield is capable of doing it...

Last edited by snup; March 22nd, 2007 at 01:43 AM.
snup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 03:46 AM   #6
snup

For those who are interested in learning a bit more about the history of Sheffield Castle.

Sheffield Castle

You can visit the castle ruins each Thursday and Saturday.
Please visit this page for more information on how to arrange a visit.
For those into history, there is a very small but worthwhile visitor information centre in the Castle Markets as well.

Visit Sheffield Castle ruins

Old March 13th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #7
jazz-sheff

i also feel very strongly about the castle remains, it disgusts me to think that the remains of a buidling with a strong presence in medievel history is sitting under a run down market. What scares me even more is the prospect that these remains may once again be lost to some mediocre office buidlings or other such development.
A couple of years ago the university of sheffield carried out further excavation on the remains and found the ruins to be more extensive than previously thought. There must be a significant amount of the castle foundations down there which would really give a unique context to any development on castlegate.

The last time i was back in sheffield i phoned up to organise a visit to the ruins. The lady on the phone said to me 'there's not much down there' in a 'whats the point' sort of tone! surely the council could ask staff to be a little more enthusiastic about it. As it turned out, there is one man who takes you down there and he was on holiday. Thats right, there's one man in one of the biggest cities in england, who can take you to see what is thought to have been one of the largest castles in england, where Mary queen of scots was held prisoner. Talk about not using your assets!!

I've got a lot off my chest now!
jazz-sheff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #8
di Livio

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
Thats TWO threads that play up to the 'Yorkshire Simpleton' stereotype!!
Do I have to reel off the list of leading literary figures who come from Yorkshire?

AS Byatt and Margaret Drabble are two of them. If there is a stereotype, it's based on the fact that Yorkshire's best and brightest are sucked away to universities where they become angliscised, never to return. Even Ted Hughes suffered this fate.

BBC dEVON
Quote:
So, although he was born in Yorkshire, it was this particular part of Devon which he (hUGHES) loved the most - and which he regarded as home.
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #9
dinp

Just incase it hasn't been posted elsewhere, the plans for the Fitzalan Square post office have now been approved, along with outline plans for West Bar police station and the Bramall Lane hotel
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:19 AM   #10
Mattski

How funny!

I don't think I have ever before heard of Castlegate being compared to Prague (i.e. the dancing building) or the walls of Carcasonne. But then I think Dinp deserved it for his cheap dig at poor spelling! Anyway, the Czech thing shouldn't be laughed at I suppose as my sister in law has helped to organise the Czech Invest team tour of the the city. Go Go Gambrinus!

Mattski
Mattski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #11
dinp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattski
How funny!

I don't think I have ever before heard of Castlegate being compared to Prague (i.e. the dancing building) or the walls of Carcasonne. But then I think Dinp deserved it for his cheap dig at poor spelling! Anyway, the Czech thing shouldn't be laughed at I suppose as my sister in law has helped to organise the Czech Invest team tour of the the city. Go Go Gambrinus!

Mattski
I dont think the comparison to Prague had anything to do with my dig and if it did, then it went over my simple head

The whole area has a wealth of potential which will be greatly unlocked once this inner ring road takes a lot of the traffic away.

Some of the buildings in snup's post look pretty funky actually.
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #12
lewisskinner
do me bad things

Likes (Received): 2

Is this actually proposed, or just what you hope will happen?

Won't you please, click here to sponsor me? All proceeds to the MS Society
lewisskinner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 12:32 AM   #13
paulmat
▀∂NNED

Likes (Received): 15

I think we should start some sort of petition to the council, so they incorporate the castle remains into the new building. If they don't it'll be more than just a let down. I don't think there would be any other city in England, (probably even the whole world) that would let something like a castle remains be buried under some development.
paulmat está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #14
paulmat
▀∂NNED

There's a document on the castlegate masterplan here.

It's quite an interesting read (apart from its 84 pages long), and shows some of the Ideas for castlegate. Looks like once the Inner Ring Road is complete, this area will get some much needed attention, and link Westbar/Riverside and the Riverside Exchange to the rest of the centre.
Old January 14th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #15
paulmat
▀∂NNED

Some images of what castlegate *may* look like:

I quite like the look of this:

Not so sure on the colours on this one though :-P

I like the residential building on the bottom corner.
Old January 15th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #16
hella good
PUT YOUR PAWS UP

Likes (Received): 158

very nice, it seems to be quite dense either way. though i think i like the first image more than the second
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:33 AM   #17
snup

Another image from the same Castlegate Masterplan

Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:27 AM   #18
lewisskinner
do me bad things

Likes (Received): 2

Hey Snup! Where have you been?

Won't you please, click here to sponsor me? All proceeds to the MS Society
lewisskinner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 07:51 PM   #19
AndrewC

Likes (Received): 4

Some of those artists impressions look quite interesting.

Does anyone have a picture of the old law courts on Waingate? One of the nicest old buildings in Sheffield. Not spectacular, but would definitely benefit from some kind of clean-up as part of this development.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:12 PM   #20
paulmat
▀∂NNED

You mean the old town hall? Would be nice to see it get some sort of refurbishment.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: