daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Transport / Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM   #601
JediAlf
May the Force Be With You

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHT View Post
The size of Tengah township is around 55,000 homes and at the moment, only EWL is connecting the Western region to the city. Future HSR? LTA is well aware that Jurong East station and EWL has already reached its capacity during peak hours and its pretty obvious that their objective now is to try to divert traffic away both JE station and EWL and more importantly to have alternative route for commuters in the event of break down.

The cheapest and quickest solution will of course be

a) Extending JRL to CCL (5km?)
b) Connecting JRL to DTL (2km?)

Once complete, commuters travel to and from western region will have better option and this will help relieve some load from existing EWL.

My view is that the rail network in the western region will eventually looks like a mirror image of the east region, where there will be EWL, ERL, & DTL
Aye. Not just Tengah. But also Bukit Batok West - already have 6 BTO sites under construction (one of them - I will be moving by 2018). The nearest station to these towns is Bukit Panjang MRT station on Downtown Line apart from Chinese Garden station on East-West Line, Bukit Batok and Bukit Gombak stations on North-South Line.

Connecting JRL to two existing lines - Circle Line and Downtown Line would provide more options for residents living in the west. Every morning in peak hours, every train is packed towards city.
JediAlf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM   #602
pioneerboy
custom user title

Likes (Received): 12

Hi.

I would like to mention the Kelana Jaya LRT Line in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

The Kelana Jaya Line and the Jurong Region Line have common characteristics:
  • Both serve a University.
  • Both have tight turning spaces.
  • Kelana Jaya Line uses a combination of 2-car and 4-car trains, which Jurong Region Line may use something similar.
  • Kelana Jaya Line was originally 29km, while Jurong Region Line is originally 25km.
We can use the Kelana Jaya Line as reference.

The specifications of the rolling stock on the Kelana Jaya Line:
  • a train is 17.4% slimmer (2.65m) than a C830 (3.21m).
  • a four-car train has 1.40% larger capacity (944) than a three-car C830 (931).
  • a four-car train is 90.0% longer (134.8m) than a three-car C830 (70.95m).
Meanwhile, a Crystal Mover...
  • a Crystal Mover is 16.2% slimmer (2.69m) than a C830 (3.21m).
  • a nine-car Crystal Mover has 1.50% larger capacity (945) than a three-car C830 (931).
  • a nine-car Crystal Mover is 50.2% longer (106.56m) than a three-car C830 (70.95m).

Well, actually, length should not be an issue, since anyway, all MRT stations are around 160m in length.

If length is not an issue, actually I think it would be better to use the model used on the Kelana Jaya Line.

Of course, if there are other models that are better, they can be used on our Jurong Region Line.

(http://www.myrapid.com.my/rail/fleet)
(http://www.bombardier.com/en/transpo...n=asia-pacific)
(https://youtu.be/vdx0Dzit0cw?t=1m50s)
"If there is a touchstone for success, it is confidence. A people must have confidence in themselves. If they lack it, if they feel they are unequal to the challenge, then they will never make the grade."
~ Lee Kuan Yew

Last edited by pioneerboy; Yesterday at 12:28 PM.
pioneerboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM   #603
aforl

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerboy View Post
Hi, here's the map of the 2001 Concept Plan, showing the area of North-West:

2001 Concept Plan:
http://www.ura.gov.sg/gallery/images...ceptPlanA3.pdf

Meanwhile, here is my input for the discussion on the possible new MRT line that we all call "Holland Line":

on the concept plan, I drew lines in the city area to trace the existing MRT lines.
the currently-unknown lines are all in lime green.

based on the concept plan, I feel that the alignment of the Holland Line in the city could be this:

Quote:
based on the 2001 concept plan, I guess if there is a new MRT line from the City to the West, via Holland Road, the alignment could be something like this:

Length: around 23km
Number of stations: around 22.

Possible interchange stations:
- at Tengah South, with Jurong Region Line
- at Bukit Batok, with North South Line
- at Holland Village, with Circle Line
- at Marina South, with Thomson East Coast Line

Possible roads:
- Jurong West Avenue 4
- Jurong West Avenue 1
- Bukit Batok Central
- Bukit Batok East Avenue 3
- Holland Road
- Marina Boulevard
If you want to speculate solely about the HLL, please do so at its own thread, there's a thread for that. Remind that this is the JRL thread, please don't speculate out of topic.
aforl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM   #604
CHT

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAlf View Post
Aye. Not just Tengah. But also Bukit Batok West - already have 6 BTO sites under construction (one of them - I will be moving by 2018). The nearest station to these towns is Bukit Panjang MRT station on Downtown Line apart from Chinese Garden station on East-West Line, Bukit Batok and Bukit Gombak stations on North-South Line.

Connecting JRL to two existing lines - Circle Line and Downtown Line would provide more options for residents living in the west. Every morning in peak hours, every train is packed towards city.
This statement say it all. Western region need new MRT line to downtown and EWL has no more capacity to grow.

Quote:
Said Ms Foo:"Currently, in our Western area, most of our residents have to take a feeder bus to connect to either Jurong East or Clementi. Now we have seen a big improvement with the Bus Service Enhancement programme, but with the Jurong Line in place, I am very sure these stations will be less crowded because the Western area will no longer need to come and transit here ... because the new line will have its own connection right to downtown."
CHT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM   #605
oahiyeel

Likes (Received): 3

So, assuming the "short-term" goal is to link JRL towards CCL, which station do you guys feel is more suited or likely to be? Haw Par Villa or Kent Ridge or maybe even one-north?

Do you guys think they will have provisions to directly extend this "extension" into the city in future?
oahiyeel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM   #606
SMB1406S

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oahiyeel View Post
So, assuming the "short-term" goal is to link JRL towards CCL, which station do you guys feel is more suited or likely to be? Haw Par Villa or Kent Ridge or maybe even one-north?

Do you guys think they will have provisions to directly extend this "extension" into the city in future?
no way JRL is going to extend to the city.

maybe up to HPV.

KRG as a terminal, maybe not.

ONH is totally out.

HPV has plenty of space.
SMB1406S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM   #607
CHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oahiyeel View Post

By the time jrl is ready ccl6 will be operational haw par will make more sense.

Last edited by CHT; Yesterday at 12:07 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM   #608
Barrin

Likes (Received): 15

didn't the ST announce yesterday that transport minister Lui was saying that the JRL southward could be extended to HPV station?
Barrin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #609
pioneerboy
custom user title

Actually, if the rolling stock to be used on Jurong Region Line can turn at great angles that of those on our LRT lines, we can route it to Kent Ridge MRT station, via the National University of Singapore. From there, route it to the City.

Along the way, we can visit Mediacorp (TV Station), before using Jalan Bukit Merah to arrive at the City.
"If there is a touchstone for success, it is confidence. A people must have confidence in themselves. If they lack it, if they feel they are unequal to the challenge, then they will never make the grade."
~ Lee Kuan Yew

Last edited by pioneerboy; Yesterday at 12:43 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM   #610
CHT

Quote:
Actually, if the rolling stock to be used on Jurong Region Line can turn at great angles that of those on our LRT lines, we can route it to one-north MRT station, via the National University of Singapore. From there, route it to the City.

Along the way, we can visit Mediacorp (TV Station), before using Jalan Bukit Merah to arrive at the City.
I think we can forget about JRL extended to city center, it is unlikely to happen because an interchange with CCL will serve that purpose. So will the other branch of JRL if it get connected to DTL.

What I think could possibly happen is HSR extension to city in 20 to 30 years time.
Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM   #611
pioneerboy
custom user title

Actually, it would be good if the extension is along the Ayer Rajah Expressway. We can have an interchange at Kent Ridge station. After that, somehow go to Jalan Bukit Merah. From there, make a turn before the Tanjong Pagar Railway station, ply Robinson Road and terminate at Raffles Place station.
~ Lee Kuan Yew
Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM   #612
Barrin

From what i can summarise:

JRL to CCL is likely

however i think the most likely station is HPV, i know some contacts who were around in CCL construction, as far as i know, only HPV has KOP(knock off panel), the other 2 station( Kent ridge and Pasir panjang) don't have any.Don't get me wrong here, but it's much harder to do a station with out KOP than a station with KOP, since the A&A works (if involved) is quite time consuming mostly for stations without KOP.
Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM   #613
CHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrin View Post

JRL to CCL is likely

however i think the most likely station is HPV, i know some contacts who were around in CCL construction, as far as i know, only HPV has KOP(knock off panel), the other 2 station( Kent ridge and Pasir panjang) don't have any.Don't get me wrong here, but it's much harder to do a station with out KOP than a station with KOP, since the A&A works (if involved) is quite time consuming mostly for stations without KOP.
Does it mean that if JRL connects with CCL, JRL will likely to be underground?
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM   #614
pioneerboy
custom user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrin View Post

JRL to CCL is likely

Why not have two lines - one to Haw Par Villa, one to Kent Ridge?

The stations at Kent Ridge do not have to be connected, if there is the line from Jurong East to Haw Par Villa. This can be another Tampines MRT interchange.

Kent Ridge is similar to Tampines, where it is more of a destination, than a transfer station. So, I think it is okay if we do not have physical connections between the two stations (Circle Line and Jurong Region Line).

Anyway, that time I was on the Circle Line towards Buona Vista. I cannot remember where, I think it's either one-north or Kent Ridge. Before that, the loading was quite average. Then suddenly, so many people come in. And so many people alighted at Buona Vista.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHT View Post
Does it mean that if JRL connects with CCL, JRL will likely to be underground?
I do not see a need for the Jurong Region Line to be underground. The station with Circle Line at Haw Par Villa (likewise if at Kent Ridge or one-north, or any station) can be elevated, similar to the interchange stations of Paya Lebar, Buona Vista, Expo and Woodlands.
~ Lee Kuan Yew

Last edited by Mith252; Yesterday at 03:18 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM   #615
CHT

Quote:

The stations at Kent Ridge do not have to be connected, if there is the line from Jurong East to Haw Par Villa. This can be another Tampines MRT interchange.

Kent Ridge is similar to Tampines, where it is more of a destination, than a transfer station. So, I think it is okay if we do not have physical connections between the two stations (Circle Line and Jurong Region Line).

Anyway, that time I was on the Circle Line towards Buona Vista. I cannot remember where, I think it's either one-north or Kent Ridge. Before that, the loading was quite average. Then suddenly, so many people come in. And so many people alighted at Buona Vista.
why not 4 lines or maybe 5? LOL
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM   #616
Barrin

Quote:

I do not see a need for the Jurong Region Line to be underground. The station with Circle Line at Haw Par Villa (likewise if at Kent Ridge or one-north, or any station) can be elevated, similar to the interchange stations of Paya Lebar, Buona Vista, Expo and Woodlands.

i suggest you take a good look at kent ridge surroundings, also futhermore the development in one north in the future will spread southwards to wards kent ridge and northwards towards bona vista.

so the best option left is haw par villa, also theres empty land beside the station, so in terms of construction speed, time to build an interchange, haw pa villa stands the highest chance.

raxip liked this post
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #617
leonardot

Likes (Received): 28

I am throwing this out into the open: that the JRL will have a mix of elevated and underground sections, with majority of the line elevated and underground only nearer to HPV CCL. From what I know, there is sufficient space for a gradual slope and tunnel entrance in order for the line to dive under.

Any takers?
Old Today, 01:56 AM   #618
CHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardot View Post
I am throwing this out into the open: that the JRL will have a mix of elevated and underground sections, with majority of the line elevated and underground only nearer to HPV CCL. From what I know, there is sufficient space for a gradual slope and tunnel entrance in order for the line to dive under.

Any takers?
I am still in favor of having the entire Tengah-West Coast - HPV branch to be fully underground.
Old Today, 04:46 AM   #619
SMB1406S

Likes (Received): 1

the best is to have everything underground. if it runs very quietly like the BPLRT and SPLRT, by all means go fully elevated.
SMB1406S no está en línea   Reply With Quote