SkyscraperCity Forum banner

MISC | Future winner regions and cities in Sweden

8K views 53 replies 15 participants last post by  Jonipoon 
#1 ·
Ok, I saw a simular thread in the Danish forum and I thought that it were a pretty good idea. So I made up on for Sweden to just because I was so curious of what areas, regions and cities you guys think are going to grow the most in the future! :)

Ok, so let me know what do you think?

:)

#2 ·
Me myself I think that stockholm is going to continue to grow, atleast if they solve the housing problem! How many inhabitants do you think stockholm got in... let's say 50 years??

I also think that Malmö and the whole Öresund region will grow pretty much!

#5 · (Edited)
Ok, but it sounds very strange that Gothenburg and Malmö would have reduced population ot atleast I've never heard of that, I thought that all of Swedens three largest cities had a pretty huge population growth but maybe that's wrong? I acctually don't know!

I heard somewhere that Malmö are bulding very much new apartments and houses, Some1 know how much Malmö grows wach year? Or how much the population will be in let's say 20 years or more?

Some1 know how much Gotheburg grows and how many who will live there in the future?

When it comes to the whole nations population I read somewhere that it will reach 10 million in 2018 but that's probably wrong because I have also read that it will be 2021.

But otherwise wich regions will be the winners in the future? :

The öresund region and Skåne.

The West coast region, with gothenburg offcourse.

The capital region wich I include both Uppland and Södermanland.

Maybe the whole Mälardalen Region?

Or östergötland with Norrköping-Linköping?

Wich will be the largest winner Götaland or Svealand??

Any larger growing areas in Norrland?

Large infrastructure projects that will boost a regions growth?

The questions are many as you see and don't be afraid to tell what you think!

#6 ·
I think Malmö will be the "winner" region. Great climate, geographically perfect position which is taken care of in a much better way since the bridge over oresond was built. The city also has a great attitude. Like Percy Nilsson and Zlatan Ibrahimovic all together. Not strange that there seems to be no limits for the city. :)

#7 · (Edited)
Yes that's my thoughts too, I would really like to see Malmö grow and become a really large and cool modern city, because in some way it's feels like the entrance to Sweden from Europe. And I would really love to be welcomed to Sweden by a large and cool city with scyscrapers, Modern architecture and good infrastructure!

#8 ·
Yes that's my thoughts too, I would really like to see Malmö grow and become a really large and cool modern city, because in some way it feels like the entrance to Sweden from Europe. And I would really love to be welcomed to Sweden by a large and cool city with scyscrapers, Modern architecture and good infrastructure!
Ehm, and it would officially be named Copenhagen! :lol:

#11 ·
I think that Umeå as a university city up north has a lot of growing potential and seeing all projects which is going on there (and several of them are really interesting) they look confident too.

They are challenged by Sundsvall who wants to see it self as the capital of the North.

#16 ·
What I ment by with whole sentence was that it would have been great if Oslo and Gothenburg would have been located closer to each other, hence gothenburg closer to the norwegian border and Oslo closer to the swedish one. It just would have been great that's all! :) A Copenhagen-Malmö feel!

(You pick on me in post after post after post, it's unbelievable! You even keep correcting my english in posts, even though I've told you several times I suck at english, so I will get it wrong over and over again)

#21 ·
Oslo and Gothenburg close to each other would surely be great!

But Sometimes I wonder how cool it would be if Stockholm were located were Malmö is located now, (or maybe not Stockholm) but if the Swedish capital were located there. That would be so amazing! Think for yourself how awsome that region could have been if there was to capitals with over 2 million inhabitants each! Maybe a little less beautiful place for the Swedish capital but surely a much nicer location and region!

#22 ·
^^

There has been plans to move the capital on some occasions through out history. I remember reading about moving it to Karlskrona and also to Gothenburg and I also think (but I'm not 100 % sure) that there was talk about Malmö.

I think the talk about Gothenburg and Karlskrona was mainly when they were founded, but I don't know when the talk about Malmö was, but I think it was the swedish court that was heavily against it.

#28 ·
I think the reason many Swedes in Bohuslän hate norwegians is because of the effect we have on the real estate prices in the area. Many, especially young Swedes can't afford houses when they have to compete with Norwegians in the market. I'v also heard many don't like that the Norwegians have bigger and better boats..

#31 ·
Norwegians love off topic?

I think most of the rural areas will lose, and most cities will grow. Its also hard to now how travels will be in the future. Whit high speed rail road, more areas outside the larger cities will grow.

Stockholm and Göteborg will probably bee a total mess because the lack of public transport.

#32 ·
The fact is that Malmö has been the capital in 1806 even though "not in formal" but it was here Sweden was ruled from for some time. And Gustav IV Adolf had plans of moving the capital from Stockholm to Malmö aswell so yes Boscorelli, you are right!

Regeringstid
Gustav iV Adolf
Motvilligt tog han över regeringen, med farbrodern, hertig Karl, som förmyndare - men ett förmyndarskap som i praktiken övertogs av Gustaf Adolph Reuterholm, vars far, riksrådet Esbjörn Christian Reuterholm, hade tillhört oppositionen mot Gustav III. Hans informator blev senare kanslirådet Nils von Rosenstein. Han lärde sig latin och, vilket var ovanligt för en svensk kung, också finska - ironiskt med tanke på att han senare förlorade Finland och blev dess siste svenske regent.
Som kung antog han valspråket Gud och folket. Som myndig kung gifte sig Gustav IV Adolf år 1797 med Fredrika Dorothea Wilhelmina av Baden. Äktenskapet var mycket lyckligt och i motsats till sin far var han påtagligt intresserad av erotik, så pass att riksmarskalken Axel von Fersen (d.y.) i mjuka ordalag försökte be kungen att vara försiktig och "skona drottningens hälsa".
Från november 1806 till maj 1807 styrdes Sverige från Malmö. Kung Gustav IV Adolf bodde med sin drottning Fredrika och tre kungabarn i Residenset vid Stortorget. Med kungafamiljen följde hovstaten och delar av den diplomatiska kåren varför också angränsande byggnader togs i anspråk. I stort sett hela norra sidan av torget disponerades av de förnäma gästerna, och under ett halvår var således Malmö, om inte officiellt så åtminstone de facto, Sveriges huvudstad
Kungen arresterades sedermera pga det Svensk-franska kriget och avsattes varpå planerna på Malmö som huvudstad även de "avsattes".

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustav_IV_Adolf

#40 ·
I made a list of the largest cities (populationwise) with its nearest surrondings, ie 30 km circle (or halfcircle if it´s by the sea), without considering comuting pattern etc (dvs utan hänsyn till SCB LA-regioner eller SKL´s regionsindelning) for seven years ago.
Here is the population change and my comments on that list.
Now ranked in percantage increase of population.

Main city Present Population Increase 2004-2011 [%]

Stockholm 1 972 452 + 198 457 + 1,54 This is number one in Scandinavia, the relatively large size will atract companies, more people etc. #1
Malmö/Lund 595 750 + 59 560 + 1,53 Best situated in Sweden and an expanding university in Lund, will continue to grow
Uppsala 213 119 + 19 629 + 1,40 Large university and close to Stockholm will grant a future growth. Young popultion as well.
Göteborg 840 912 + 61 163 + 1,08 Gradually also Gothenborg will change from it´s dependency of the traditionally industry sector
Växjö 102 010 + 7 283 + 1,06 An expanding university has done a lot, won´t be #5 2020, but still grow.
Helsingborg 294 933 + 19 327 + 0,97 The most populus area outside the three largest (STO/GOT/MAL), considering that it has only a smaller collage has done very good, and will do so in the future. It will increase around 1 % annually because it has a lot of high quality areas of dwellings.
Linköping 172 623 + 11 201 + 0,96 This is the main city in this region and has a young population, bright future
Jönköping 145 371 + 9 334 + 0,95 Good location and a university, top ten
Umeå 124 105 + 7 675 + 0,91The only star in the northern part of Sweden. But when all young people in the closest 500 km already moved there it will stop the growth slightly
Örebro 178 659 + 10 463 + 0,86Good location and a university, top ten
Eskilstuna 104 596 + 5 667 + 0,79 To far to comute to Sthlm for a large amount of people, will drop on the list
Västerås 162 494 + 7 268 + 0,65 Will increase, not moore
Halmstad 115 129 + 4 874 + 0,61Too small to atract any hordes, will increase though.
Norrköping 144 073 + 6 020 + 0,60Old population, small increase
Borås 155 915 + 5 856 + 0,54Old population, small increase
Karlstad 132 675 + 4 303 + 0,46 To remote, best in class (Värmland) though, small increase, decreasing surounding
Gävle 141 237 + 3 691 + 0,37Might see an decrease later on when we wont see this generally high population increase (a lot children has been born and the net immigration has been large over the past five years) for Sweden
Borlänge 126 204 + 3 175 + 0,36 Will decrease young people ted to move to Sthlm
Trollhättan/Uddevalla 162 422 + 3 712 + 0,32+/-0
Sundsvall 113 684 + 2 523 + 0,31Will definitely decrease later on, the train has left, to old population

My conclusion
Areas which will increase are:
Stockholm + Uppsala and parts of Sörmland
The west coast will do well, from Scania to Stenungsund.
Islands of unversity cities, Umeå, Jönköping Lindköping, Växjö, Örebro, Karlstad?
and
Västerås

Small increase:
Norrköping, Borås, Karlskrona, Gävle?, Eskilstuna, Kalmar? Uddevalla?, Skövde?

Decrease:
The rest.

#36 ·
Yes I think that too.

I think that The Jönköpng region will be some sort of a winner, also Norrköping-Linköping, Borås because it´s close to gothenburg, Uppsala becasue it's near to Stockholm, Umeå and Sundsvall up in the north, Maybe Västerås, Lund and Helsingborg because it's a part of the Öresund region.

But what do you think about my home town Halmstad? I think it have a quite nice location between Gothenburg and Malmö on the westcoast, and both E6 and Västkustbanan running throu the city.

#37 · (Edited)
Looking at the west of Sweden (apart from Goteborg) Stenungsund and Halmstad certainly should be winner regions. The problem for Halmstad might be that year round activities get concentrated to Malmo, Helsingborg and Goteborg and that Halmstad gets considered as a summercity?

Worried about Uddevalla and especially Trollhättan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.