daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Prairie Provinces

Old August 5th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #1
Edmontonic

Likes (Received): 0

My Vacation To Calgary Photo

I recently visited Calgary for the first time this summer. Even though i was born and raised and am a proud Edmontonian, I have to admit, Calgary is a beatiful city, I didnt realize how much ahead they are From the capital city. After catching the Stampede fever i found out why they call it "Cow-Town". I found myself wearing something i would NEVER of wore anywere else.... a COWBOY HAT!!!. thats right, anywere else i would've gotten my Arse kicked, and called gay, but i guess in Calgary its all good... well enjoy....

The Calgary Tower

At The Top of The Calgary Tower:

At The Stampede :

Edmontonic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 6th, 2005, 09:39 PM   #2
Boris550
NIMBY Eater

Likes (Received): 6

Good stuff! Hah, the glass floor is cool eh?
Old August 6th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #3
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Likes (Received): 349

those are ausome pics man , everyone is getting into the pic thing now , cool !~
Rhino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 11:57 PM   #4
coldrsx
OMEGA here i come

"I didnt realize how much ahead they are From the capital city"

care to explain?

BTW...nice photos.
coldrsx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 12:50 AM   #5
josh white

all I see is red X
josh white no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #6
Boris550
NIMBY Eater

You came too late man!
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #7
Edmontonic

ahead of the capital city, i just meant, their city seems to be more buisy then edmonton, their downtown is way more developed then edmonton. their population is double ours, it didnt seem like a small town like edmonton feels like.

and yeah it seems that the website i had my pictures uploaded to changed servers and their whole system changed and now i cant get into my account,....
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:28 PM   #8
Boris550
NIMBY Eater

I would suggest uploading to Imageshack...
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:27 PM   #9
coldrsx
OMEGA here i come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontonic
ahead of the capital city, i just meant, their city seems to be more buisy then edmonton, their downtown is way more developed then edmonton. their population is double ours, it didnt seem like a small town like edmonton feels like.

and yeah it seems that the website i had my pictures uploaded to changed servers and their whole system changed and now i cant get into my account,....

downtown calgary is quite nice...but you have to remember it has even more office space than van so it should feel bigger and calgary as a whole is much less spread out than Edmonton. I do enjoy downtown calgary's feel as well though.
Old August 11th, 2005, 09:12 AM   #10
Dinoman
Calgary, Alberta

Are you sure?

I don't think Calgary is " A whole lot smaller than Edmonton" when it has a larger built up area.
Dinoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #11
Dinoman
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldrsx
downtown calgary is quite nice...but you have to remember it has even more office space than van so it should feel bigger and calgary as a whole is much less spread out than Edmonton. I do enjoy downtown calgary's feel as well though.
Calgary not only feels alot bigger, but I believe it IS. Coldrsx, can you disagree that Calgary is more than 200 000 people larger and the developed area considerabley larger.

Calgry's built up area in the city, is considerably larger than Edmonton's. If you don't see that, then perhaps you should visit and see for yourself. Or we can compare stats.
Dinoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 08:28 PM   #12
cmd uw
Urbis Plannerus

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinoman
Calgary not only feels alot bigger, but I believe it IS. Coldrsx, can you disagree that Calgary is more than 200 000 people larger and the developed area considerabley larger.

Calgry's built up area in the city, is considerably larger than Edmonton's. If you don't see that, then perhaps you should visit and see for yourself. Or we can compare stats.
Yes, comparing the two cities based on City proper populations Calgary is obviously larger. However, from a CMA perspective the difference is marginal.

I think cold was claiming that the overall feel of both cities is comparable, once you are outside of the downtown. We all know that downtown Calgary is dense for the reason mentioned by coldrsx.
cmd uw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 09:28 PM   #13
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Living in Edmonton for 3 years and visisting Calgary Ive discovered one very true thing. Edmonton feels old. Calgary feels crisp , young and full of life. where Edmonton is like that old guy that lives down the street ( bill cosby ) , where Calgary is like a young blond with a big chest that every one wants to live next door to.
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:45 PM   #14
cmd uw
Urbis Plannerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino
Living in Edmonton for 3 years and visisting Calgary Ive discovered one very true thing. Edmonton feels old. Calgary feels crisp , young and full of life. where Edmonton is like that old guy that lives down the street ( bill cosby ) , where Calgary is like a young blond with a big chest that every one wants to live next door to.
Highly subjective. Some people say Vancouver is 'quiet' in terms of entertainment, but I personally find that to be BS.
Old August 12th, 2005, 03:26 AM   #15
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

I ment Architecture of buildings ,and Post modern dovelopment , Not party seen .
Old August 12th, 2005, 05:55 AM   #16
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 158

I'm one of those who find Vancouver very dull in the entertainment realm.

That said tho, comparing Edmonton and Calgary is difficult. They seem similar on the outside {unlike Van/Vic} but are really quite different.
Calgary has a "can do" feel to it. There is an energy to Calgary. Its youthful, prosperous, always knowing the good times are here and Calgary's day in the sun may come along.
Edmonton always gave me the feeling of being an also ran.
Big, sprawling, with no core and even less energy. As we said in Ontario.................Ed-mono-tone.
It does however have a great theatre scene and lots of great festivals but just gets a bad rap, perhaps unfairly.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #17
canada cowboy

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2
I'm one of those who find Vancouver very dull in the entertainment realm.

That said tho, comparing Edmonton and Calgary is difficult. They seem similar on the outside {unlike Van/Vic} but are really quite different.
Calgary has a "can do" feel to it. There is an energy to Calgary. Its youthful, prosperous, always knowing the good times are here and Calgary's day in the sun may come along.
Edmonton always gave me the feeling of being an also ran.
Big, sprawling, with no core and even less energy. As we said in Ontario.................Ed-mono-tone.
It does however have a great theatre scene and lots of great festivals but just gets a bad rap, perhaps unfairly.
I guess it all depends on what floats-your-boat. I can't imagine being bored in Vancouver...but, likewise, I say the same about Calgary - and in the summer months Edmonton as well.

Edmonton IS festival city, and has a lot going on all the time in the summer - you may just have to look for it. For the most part, Calgary has similar festivals in the summer, but being closer to the mountains makes winter a little more bearable (along with those chinooks). Calgary also plays up the western culture more (which I admire), while Edmonton has strived in trying to become an arts centre.

I've lived in Edmonton and Calgary (among other places - and I'm not from AB), and I wouldn't call Edmonton an "also-ran". It has a different energy, and Edmontonians are seemingly jealous (generally) of Calgary's well-known prosperity. BUT - that's where Edmonton generally gets its energy and identity from - always wanting to beat Calgary. In the end, Edmonton has managed to keep up with Calgary (or at times surpassed) in a lot of ways for the past 20 years, and has pushed to set themselves apart. This rivalry is truely a driver for AB's growth as well...I couldn't imagine where these cities would both be without it.
canada cowboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #18
Edmontonic

All i have to say is, i am born and raised in Edmonton, Lived here all my life, i'm proud to be from edmonton, i grew up hating calgary, i think the calgary flames Suck, i hate calgarians just like every other Proud Edmontonian,..by the way everywere i went when i was their , i would say im from edmonton, they would give me this look,the "eww" look, i guess they hate us to. but anyways.. ssiguy, i agree, calgary has a young, vibrante, chance taking buisness feel, Edmonton in my opinion is run by to many "Square" People, that follow tradition, and dont like to give young entrepenuers a chance. Come On, their are the same 12 stores ALL OVER Edmonton, Tim Hortons in every neighborhood, 7-11's on EVERY single block, who can't see the same 4 restaurants all over edmonton : Denny's, The Keg, Humpty's, and Earl's. Beside everysingle Walmart in this city, on the same block , their is EB Games, Payless Shoe, Michaels, their is one man that owns these and makes every part of the city the same and that is boring looking.
Edmonton is only a Baby city, and will grow to be one of the Largest city's in Canada, but for now, edmonton bringing all these world class events and not having a world class city to accomodate the people that visit, makes those people have negative comments about our city because they are not used to the small town feel.
Old August 12th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #19
cmd uw
Urbis Plannerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontonic
Come On, their are the same 12 stores ALL OVER Edmonton, Tim Hortons in every neighborhood, 7-11's on EVERY single block, who can't see the same 4 restaurants all over edmonton : Denny's, The Keg, Humpty's, and Earl's. Beside everysingle Walmart in this city, on the same block , their is EB Games, Payless Shoe, Michaels, their is one man that owns these and makes every part of the city the same and that is boring looking.
Edmonton is only a Baby city, and will grow to be one of the Largest city's in Canada, but for now, edmonton bringing all these world class events and not having a world class city to accomodate the people that visit, makes those people have negative comments about our city because they are not used to the small town feel.
You do realize that you basically described the urban environment of every suburban district in every major Canadian city....Tim Hortons, Wal-Mart, EB Games, Denny's, etc, etc. This is certainly nothing unique or an 'Edmonton thing'.

In regards to Edmonton not being a world class city, well, in your definition what makes a 'world class city'? First off, I believe there is only one maybe three cities in Canada that could be classified as 'world class' - Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

However, Edmonton does have a number of great attributes that sets it apart from others. The first that jumps out is the U of A. It is one of the top universities in Canada and is particularly well known for its research and development capabilities. Our cultural institutions are also great (Royal Alberta Museum, Windspear, Citadel and our new art gallery will be more than likely be another one). Edmonton has the fourth largest cluster of biotech companies in Canada, behind Toronto, Montreal, & Vancouver. Of course there are our fesitivals that have become very successful and well-known throughout Canada and even the world, particularly the Folk Fest and Fringe Fest.

Last edited by cmd uw; August 12th, 2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old August 13th, 2005, 01:07 AM   #20
coldrsx
OMEGA here i come

Edmonton has a big mall so i hear...so that makes it the best city in the world