daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > General Forums > Business, Economy and Infrastructure

Business, Economy and Infrastructure Our architecture, infrastructure, transport, economy and other related discussions

Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM   #12741
african
thenairobidude

Likes (Received): 5363

Quote:
Originally Posted by batuzpisces View Post
I don't think it's as simple as that. I'd like to believe same as the chicken imports issue in South Africa the US are pushing harder than it's being reported.
It doesnt even matter whether the government is being pushed hard or not.

Its the 2nd time they've caved. That makes our government look weak, thats really not good. It also means we cant keep our word, so we cant guarantee that we'll do what we say. Means our EA counterparts are also not gonna respect the deals that we make because there are no guarantees.
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM   #12742
popa1980

Likes (Received): 3238

Quote:
Originally Posted by african View Post
It doesnt even matter whether the government is being pushed hard or not.

Its the 2nd time they've caved. That makes our government look weak, thats really not good. It also means we cant keep our word, so we cant guarantee that we'll do what we say. Means our EA counterparts are also not gonna respect the deals that we make because there are no guarantees.

Looks like they wont even put up a fight
popa1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM   #12743
Foxbat101

Likes (Received): 129

IDK why Kenya has rushed to save AGOA. Maybe it is based on some far-fetched hope that national output will far exceed import value in the long term, or it is a platform for a future preferential trade agreement. Given AGOA's past failure and the global shift towards protectionism, I don't see the status quo changing. AGOA has gotten us nowhere for 17 years and Kenya runs a $300 million dollar 'clothes deficit' with the U.S. We really have nothing to lose and almost everything to gain.

I'm also baffled why the U.S is dwelling over what is essentially small change to the superpower. With immigration on the U.S radar, collective security should be of primary concern. Politics is not a zero-sum game and compromises have to be made for the desired outcomes. The fact that free trade agreements with undeveloped nations are being demanded simultaneously when concerns regarding immigration are being raised in the West is extremely illogical. I think it shows the severity of political incompetence in the West today: A collection of misguided, uninspiring and pedantic Leaders and governments put in power by a largely ignorant and comfortable populace that does not ask hard questions and believes in fairy tales as facts, with stock characters.Where are the Mongols when you need them...

Umoja, Adm.Adama liked this post
Foxbat101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:10 AM   #12744
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 6192

Quote:
Originally Posted by african View Post
Kenya's foreign policy summed up.

EU deal = Cave to protect a flower industry that isnt even locally owned.

AGOA = Cave to protect wealthy non-African importers who arent building any African industries.

Kenya needs to start siding with the EAC before it comes back to bite us.
I'm really disgusted by the move. I bet the collective cry of the EPZ merchants are the cause of this back tracking. While the cotton sector across the country is in tatters just to please a few individuals who don't want to pay taxes when exporting EPZ goods to the states.

We should pull up and pants and not be scared to fight for a fair trade deal we have the entire EAC and Africa at our backs.

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC
Adm.Adama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:11 AM   #12745
Afro Circus
Mwafrika

Likes (Received): 1322

Quote:
Originally Posted by popa1980 View Post
I think the biggest factor is that our business community does not want to invest in manufacturing nor agriculture.

If in Ghana for example, indigenous business people invested even half as much in factories as the Lebanese then we would be semi-industralised now.
I believe that in a way boils down to quality of education.

Most of the African business elite are street smart, but so much of book smart. It's why they'll look for the sweetest avenue of investment ala real estate (most short term returns) with complete disregard of real estate bubbles and that there is hardly any increamental aspect in returns over time when compared to building a factory. Or they'll alternatively cache their money in some stable Swiss bank with little chance of collapse when compared to local banks, ignoring the fact that investing the said money in say government bonds is equally safe but with more returns.

And the high power bills, dilapidated roads, inefficient ports when compared to Asian competition are not helping matters either.
Afro Circus no está en línea   Reply With Quote