daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Old February 21st, 2005, 07:21 AM   #1
bubach_hlubach
hlubach bubach

Likes (Received): 85

Skofja Loka, cute town in Slovenia

Skofja Loka, Slovenia

The Highlands of Škofja Loka (or Loka's mountains) are tipical for the region in front of Alps in river basin of Selška Sora and Poljanska Sora which unite near the town of Škofja Loka and form the river Sora.

The Highlands of Škofja Loka (in further text "region") is extended over two valleys: Selška dolina and Poljanska dolina and all the highlands above them, depression Žirovska kotlina and field Sorško polje. The town of Škofja Loka is of special value to the region - the town at the confluence of both of the rivers Sora - the town which is also economic, cultural and administrative centre of the region.

Long ago - in 973 - German emperor Oton the second gave this territory as a present to the bishops of Freising and in the following centuries terminal feudal estate of Loka's lordship arose with its direction in Škofja Loka (municipal rights in 1274). Freising's lordship existed as long as 830 years and they were cancelled by the Austrian state which caused decreased significance of Škofja Loka.

source : http://www.skofjaloka.si/en

And there's also a cute video file of this town and its beautiful surrounding : http://mesto.skofjaloka.si/movies/skofjaloka_big.mpg

Pics of Skofja Loka :

'Cause I can't go on (Will you still love me?)
No, I can't go on (Just say you love me)
bubach_hlubach no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 21st, 2005, 11:01 AM   #2
AZ2SI

Likes (Received): 1

Hvala for these wonderful photos!

I visited Skofja Loka last year. While it is a very pretty town, I was disappointed that many buildings looked neglected. Also, there were almost no interesting shops that you can find in even some less touristically attractive towns: I didn't see any bookstores or antiques shops, for instance (I was in Izola recently, and the town had a number of interesting workshops, a cozy bookstore, etc.). Also, many businesses still had ugly 1970s-style neon signs that really detracted from the beautiful architecture. All in all, I didn't feel that Skofja Loka was living up to its (considerable) potential.

BTW, here's an interesting tidbit: Skofja Loka is very popular among French tourists; I believe they were at or near the top in terms of the number of visitors last year.
AZ2SI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:00 PM   #3
bubach_hlubach
hlubach bubach

Likes (Received): 85

You are welcome, AZ2SI

Looking at these photos, i wouldnt say that too many buildings have not been taken care of or they are being neglected. There is a number of buildings covered with interesting facades, some are faded or coming off the buildings but just a little, and in my opinion it just makes it more charming and authentic.

Like these ones :

When you look at so many details decorated on these facades, it doesnt look like an easy job to repaint them. I think some fresh color would just make them look too plastic and Skofja Loka wouldn't be anymore what it used to be or supposed to be. That is one of reasons why i love this place, including its castle

'Cause I can't go on (Will you still love me?)
No, I can't go on (Just say you love me)
bubach_hlubach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:48 PM   #4
SinCity
Streetwalker

Likes (Received): 50

What a charming place. The fact that it isnt as buffed as it could be doesnt really matter. It has what you would call "rustic" beauty which works really well and gives the town so much more character. Thank Bubach.
SinCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 12:44 AM   #5
AZ2SI

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubach_hlubach
You are welcome, AZ2SI

Looking at these photos, i wouldnt say that too many buildings have not been taken care of or they are being neglected. There is a number of buildings covered with interesting facades, some are faded or coming off the buildings but just a little, and in my opinion it just makes it more charming and authentic.

Like these ones :

When you look at so many details decorated on these facades, it doesnt look like an easy job to repaint them. I think some fresh color would just make them look too plastic and Skofja Loka wouldn't be anymore what it used to be or supposed to be. That is one of reasons why i love this place, including its castle
Oh, I agree... to a point. I think that the old character of Skofja Loka should be preserved and that the approach to restoration should be very different than in some less historic town. I also think that applying new paint could very well destroy many of the buildings.

However, I also think that facades that are cracking or peeling off should be attended to: not made to look like new, mind you, but preserved so that active damage is stopped. I think that restorators nowadays can attend to old buildings without kitsching them up. I've seen some wonderful examples of this in France: old buildings that are constantly maintained but that still preserve all of their rustic charm. I prefer this approach to, say, the Austrian one, where some old buildings tend to look too new after they are restored.
AZ2SI no está en línea   Reply With Quote