daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Thai Forum > Architecture and Urban Facilities

Architecture and Urban Facilities Architectural wonders of Thailand and Special focussion on Urban Mobilities

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2004, 02:44 AM   #1
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 1920

" Siam Center " will turns into a transformative glass box!!!!!

B450m facelift for two prime retail sites

Operators gear up for holiday season

SUJINTANA HEMTASILPA

With the 14-billion-baht Siam Paragon due to open in 12 months, one of the luxury shopping centre's developers is about to spend 450 million baht to renovate the nearby Siam Center and the adjoining Siam Discovery.

Siam Piwat Co said the 350-million-baht facelift of the 32-year-old Siam Center would begin in January and work on Siam Discovery costing 100 million baht would start late next year.

Once the work is completed, the company expects the number of daily visitors at the two sites will rise by 25% to 100,000, according to managing director Chadatip Chutrakul.

She said the transformation of Siam Center into a ``magical glass box'' would take 10 months to complete.

Once the Siam Paragon, a joint venture between Siam Piwat and The Mall Group, opens next November, all three complexes will make up a shopping district with 700,000 square metres of space and at least 200,000 visitors a day, she said.

Ms Chadatip said Siam Center, Siam Discovery and Siam Paragon each had different target groups. Siam Paragon will mainly offer high-end products for high-income customers and well-heeled international tourists. Siam Discovery is aimed at design-conscious career people aged between 25 and 35 years. Siam Center is positioned as a trendy gathering place for fashion-conscious younger consumers aged 12-28.

Ms Chadatip said Siam Center's new de{AAC}cor would feature a lot of glass and a 25-million-baht lighting system would allow the company to change the complex's interior colours in a bid to attract customers.

According to Ms Chadatip, 30% of the products offered by retailers in Siam Center are accessories, with food another 30%, lifestyle products such as gifts and souvenirs 13%, sports fashion gear 10% and cosmetics and health services 10%.

Around half of Siam Center's current customers are young people between 12 and 25 years old, 25% are between 26 and 35 years and another 25% are tourists.

She said the annual revenue of Siam Center and Siam Discovery totalled about 900 million baht. In the past 10 months, the company's profit increased by about 15% from the same period last year.

Meanwhile, with Christmas and New Year approaching, major retailers are rolling out their year-end promotional campaigns to attract gift spenders.

The Mall Group Co yesterday announced plans to spend 130 million baht on New Year campaigns at seven The Mall department stores and The Emporium.

Senior vice-president Phaibul Kanokvatanawan cited research by Kasikornbank Research Center showing that Bangkok residents spent 3.3 billion baht on gifts during the last New Year season. He forecast The Mall Group would record five billion baht in total sales during the coming New Year season.

Of the five billion baht in revenue, 3.5 billion is expected to be from The Mall department stores and the rest from The Emporium.

The key attraction this year will be The Mall Lucky Stars 20 Millionaires raffle, in which a one-million-baht gift card will be given away every day for 20 days. At The Emporium, the Emporium Diamond Diva 2005 campaign will give away a one-carat diamond jewellery item each day from tomorrow to Jan 3.

According to Mr Phaibul, the company's retail revenue from January to October was about 23 billion baht, up 8% from the same period last year. The full-year projection is for sales of 28 billion baht.

Mr Phaibul said consumers were now willing to spend more money on gifts because their income had increased. The economy has recovered, and employees of private companies have begun enjoying pay rises, bonuses and other financial incentives again during the past two years.

Source : Bangkokpost : Nov 23, 2004

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 23rd, 2004, 02:50 AM   #2
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

SHOPPING MALLS: Makeover planned for Siam Centre

Kwanchai Rungfapaisarn

Bt350m to be spent renovating top Bangkok complex

Siam Piwat Co Ltd, operator of Bangkok’s Siam Centre and Siam Discovery shopping centres, yesterday announced a Bt350-million renovation of Siam Centre based on a “Magical Glass Box” concept.

The renovation is aimed at making the shopping complex more attractive to teenagers and young adults.

The company said more than Bt25 million would be spent on a special lighting system imported from the US and liquid crystal display (LCD) screens on the outer and inner walls of the centre which would give the effect of a glass box that could keep changing its appearance.

“The renovation will start from January next year and last for 10 months. It will give Siam Centre a new young, chic and energetic look,” said Chadatip Chutrakul, managing director of Siam Piwat Co Ltd.

The renovation would make Siam Centre a fashionable destination for teenagers and young adults age between 12 and 28, she said.

She said that more than 90 per cent of tenant stores would remain open during the renovation.

“The renovated Siam Centre will complement the neighbouring Siam Paragon, which is scheduled to open in November next year,” Chadatip said.

Meanwhile, the adjacent Siam Dicovery shopping centre, which is in its seventh year of operation, will also undergo major renovation next year, she said.

Chadatip said that while Siam Centre would be positioned as a “fashion centre” for teenagers, Siam Discovery would market itself as a “lifestyle centre” and target working people aged between 25 and 45.

“With the renovation of Siam Discovery, starting before the end of next year, we plan to expand retail space for living and leisure products, which will be on the fourth and fifth floors of the shopping complex,” she said.

The CD Warehouse music store will move from Siam Centre to Siam Discovery as part of the renovation.

Siam Discovery will also attract new flagship brands to its complex including Diesel and Replay.

The Watson’s chain of would also introduce its new luxury store concept at the Siam Discovery, she said.

Chadatip said Siam Paragon would position itself as a centre for retail and entertainment events, with major attractions such as 10,000-square metre aquarium, 1,800-seat opera hall, a 10,000-square metre multi-purpose hall, and a 150-shop jewellery and watch centre.

She said the three shopping centres would link together and have total retail space of more than 700,000 square metres, creating the “one-stop” shopping destination in Bangkok.

It hopes to attract between 200,000 and 250,000 shoppers a day, she said.

Source : THE NATION : Nov 23, 2004

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

Old November 23rd, 2004, 03:32 AM   #3
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 124

Pardon my ignorance but I don't know how they look like now (maybe I do but I didn't know their names) do you have pictures of both Siam Discovery and Siam Square?

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 03:46 AM   #4
petey

Likes (Received): 0

Wow!!!!!!!!
I Seriously Cant Wait To Go Back To Bkk Next December!!!
petey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:36 AM   #5
Polar
Thai New Yorker

Yippee!! Finally, Bangkok will have Diesel flagship store. Hope it will have an edgey decor like in NY not plain like in Hong Kong. Oh, hope Thai shoppers will shoe there instead of go buy DIESEL from Siam Square :P Topshop/Topman should open at Siam Center and Zara should open at Siam Discovery considered they are doing so darn well in Singapore. If Bangkok has these 2 store, thai peopl will dress much better in good price
Polar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:58 AM   #6
petey

hm.. i'm just really really excited about this project that i wanna keep on posting..

i just cant imagine how modern that area will be when siam paragon.. the new glassy siam...the new zen.. and the already renovated mbk complete.. that area will be probably be a modern version of Shinjuku!!!!
Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:19 AM   #7
Wisarut

Likes (Received): 775

Well, Siam Center has been in business since 1973 and still in business for teens and
it is no doubt that it has become BKK version of Shinjuku (and Harajuku as well if you add Siam Square)
Old November 23rd, 2004, 10:41 AM   #8
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

I hope so

Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:16 PM   #9
BKKinTO
More than you know

I don't think Diesel will have their stand alone shop in bkk.That one will be opened with other brands in one shop.

Yes,ZARA,Club monaco and many more should come here to open their stand alone stores including FCUK. (more brands to suggest when I remember) heheh!!
BKKinTO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 01:22 AM   #10
kiku99
ไทย Amazing Thailand 泰国

Likes (Received): 6

With the new renovation of Siam Center...plus grand opening Siam Paragon next yah. wow. That area will look amazing.
And more brandname stores

Bangkok Skyline Links
Thai forum | Bangkok Skyscrapers Info | Amazing Thailand | Bangkok City
kiku99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 09:24 AM   #11
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Old November 24th, 2004, 11:19 AM   #12
Hitesh

Likes (Received): 1

damn, thats not going to be visible because of the skytrain
Hitesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #13
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
I still don't know where that it but I bet it will look nice

Old November 25th, 2004, 04:10 AM   #14
Pas

Likes (Received): 2

^That's Siam Center lah, you know the green and white stripe building opposite Siam station?

I like the 'interactive skin' idea..it will look very nice & glassy!
Pas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2004, 04:56 AM   #15
Bonshita

I thought the skytrain was between the two streets? Wonder what the color of the glass will be.

Last edited by Bonshita; November 25th, 2004 at 05:03 AM.
Bonshita no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2004, 07:01 AM   #16
petey

looking nice.. i dont quite "understand" the rendering but i bet it's gonna look awesome..

so this building will have no exact color right? because the color will determines by the light.. i dont quite get the concept of the light changing building yet but i know that it's gonna be very cool..
Old November 25th, 2004, 10:08 AM   #17
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

For those who dont know what it's gonna look like, search by google on "Post Tower" in German....Thats what the facade gonna look, double-skinned facade with the light-changing illusion every 10 mins.

Old November 25th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #18
fridaynightlights

Likes (Received): 98

If the building is nice... no one could really see it unless they are on the skytrain station.
Old November 25th, 2004, 10:46 AM   #19
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaynightlights
If the building is nice... no one could really see it unless they are on the skytrain station.
Totally wrong, This building will not be blocked by the skytrain station, since the skytrain station is actually situated infront of The Siam Paragon, not Siam Center.

Old November 25th, 2004, 10:47 AM   #20
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus