daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hungary > Projects and Development > Infrastruktúra és gazdaság

Infrastruktúra és gazdaság Infrastructure and Economy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 21st, 2007, 06:13 PM   #1
RawLee

Likes (Received): 218

[Hungary] Vasúti közlekedés | Railway Infrastructure

Hi!

Let me summarize what has happened until tody here, in Hungary.

Recomstructions started on the busiest lines, although no upgades(most mainlines are already capable of 120km/h). On the other side, 20+ kms of rural branches were closed down due to unefficiency.
Máv has been divided into Máv Cargo(freight), Máv Start(passanger) and to maintenance branches. Only Máv cargo brought revenue in up until this day.
However, Máv ordered back then 10 new Bombardier Talents,

and 30 new Stadler Delfins, all in service around Budapest.

In this april, the order was expanded with 30 other Delfins, with possible 15 or 30 of them expanded to "orcas"with 2 extensions(normal Delfins have 200 seats and 164 standing spaces, while a single extension can hold 48 seats and 35-40 standing spaces).
Also, Stadler will build a factroy in Székesfehérvár,along with a commisioning building.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 21st, 2007, 07:05 PM   #2
RawLee

BKV

The reconstruction on the Budapest metro line M2(red) is in its final stage.Old stations looked like this,

but the reconstructed ones look like this:

The terminus "Örs vezér tere" even gets a brand new station. But there is a problem,that will halt the development in Budapest for decades: The terminus of HÉV(suburban railway) is also at "Örs vezér tere", just on the opposite side of the square. But BKV and the mayor dont want the 2 lines to be connected(it would reduce travel time from end to end by 15-30 minutes). BKV says it is technically impossible to do so(Alstrom,manufacturer of the new trains said they'd fit pantographs on the new vehicles, to be capable of "HÉV-mode"...impossible,huh? btw,gauge is the same). Out lovely mayor replied to this civilian-based expert opinion with approx. this: Lets build metro to Nyíregyháza then,shall we?(Nyíregyháza is 300+kms from Budapest).
This is one of his biggest mistakes, I believe. The other one is metro 4.
It begins in the middle of nowhere(by public transport means), and end in an other middle of nowhere(again,by PT). On the other hand, metro 5 would conect 2 HÉVs, on the north and on the south side of Budapest, creating something like RER in Paris, in small. But no...expert said that than connect M4 with railways,and let it go to southern settlements on railway tracks. They said, of course, that this is nonsense. They dont want something to help people outside Budapest. They even said that M4 will help to ease the grip on the inner parts of the city, by destroying tramways and buslines above it, and making new lanes on the streets there.
OK, it is under constructions,hurray. But EU will only pay approx 75% of it(500billion HUF is the total cost). the second stage is bad, even by EU standard. So what will these 2 smart do? They would like to order some buses with 2 bends. They use them in south america mainly,in places where a tram network would cost too much. Ease the grip,huh?

The M4 cancelled many really important projects. Many tramlines in Budapest would need extensions or reconstructions. Szeged and Debrecen would get a new tramline.

So on the whole, the grass isnt greener here,than everywhere else.
Old July 21st, 2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Ataman
Some user

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Szeged and Debrecen would get a new tramline.
I have heard from an unknown source that Pécs is planning a tramline.

-Ataman
Ataman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 08:49 PM   #4
RawLee

Maybe.
You know about the plan of a single-track tram between Keszthely and Hévíz,do you?
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:09 PM   #5
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 2982

Quote:
Maybe.
You know about the plan of a single-track tram between Keszthely and Hévíz,do you?
Hi Guys! I'm starting to get back...

There is a plan of building a new tram line, but they need funds from the European budget. Unfortunately I think they are late with that for now.

BTW: RawLee You are doin' a great job!
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 01:01 PM   #6
RawLee

It's nothing more than that I'm fed up with (sorry in advance) so much slovak and czech topic, and I figured that it'd be good to have our topics too. although I find it extremely hard to find articles and pictures about everything here. It seems no-one is interested in pictorial documentation in this country. I dont know if you have seen the slovak rail topic..full of pictures about reconstructions. I know thing are going on here too(travelled pretty much train before got my car in Dec),but there are no pic...I know some sites about happenings in Bp(metro4,M0),but not very much about thing outside...not even NIF refreshes its site regulary. They say road,highway and rail building/reconstruction..although I only see highways,and even those are rare.
I'm glad there are scandals about vehicle purchases(strange,huh?), because at least,we know aout them. I thing the Combinos would be unknown outside Bp,if there werent so much about breaking axis.
We know much about M7,beause the re-engineering of the bridge. But since nothing happens on M3,M6,etc,information is scarse.
Here's an example: I live in Újpest...I only know about the reconstruction of the norther rail connector bridge,because of the scandal about MÁV not waiting for mayor's decision,so we lost EU funds(again) for Aquincum bridge.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 01:16 PM   #7
Ataman
Some user

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Maybe.
No, not really. I have been browsing the regional centers+Budapest most of the time. By the way, Győr is also planning a tramline, but without overhead wires. Come to think of it, many cities have a tramline planned, but lack the funds (or motivation) to carry them out.

At the moment, Pécs has the best chance for a tramline.

Quote:
It's nothing more than that I'm fed up with (sorry in advance) so much slovak and czech topic, and I figured that it'd be good to have our topics too. although I find it extremely hard to find articles and pictures about everything here. It seems no-one is interested in pictorial documentation in this country.
It might be a good idea to recruit people from well-known Hungarian sites, such as epiteszforum.hu or metros.hu. I am guessing most of them have never heard of skyscrapercity, and it would be a chance for them to "Meet others on an international level".

-Ataman
Ataman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:28 PM   #8
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataman View Post
It might be a good idea to recruit people from well-known Hungarian sites, such as epiteszforum.hu or metros.hu. I am guessing most of them have never heard of skyscrapercity, and it would be a chance for them to "Meet others on an international level".

-Ataman
Great idea! Anyone that is inside there? If you do so,please sign up here!:P
I'm not even close to engineering and architecture, i was studying energetic engineering, but I was expelled a week ago,because the number of my credits...
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:26 PM   #9
RawLee

The constructions will begin next year on the funicular,that will go up on the Gellért-hill. The track will be 300m long, a part of the track will go in tunnel.
It will begin near the Rác-bath, and will end at the Citadell. There will be 2 cars,each will be capable to transport 40 people. Along with this,a new bus parking lot will be built at the Buda end of the Elizabeth bridge. The project will go along with the reconstruction of the bath,which will be converted into a hotel.
Just a little spice to this: as almost everything in this country,this project is 100 years old.
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #10
Qtya
sensational

Any pics of the finished train stop/low cost rail connection of Ferihegy (budget) Terminal I?
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #11
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtya View Post
Any pics of the finished train stop/low cost rail connection of Ferihegy (budget) Terminal I?
Here you go...couldnt find biggers,sorry

Old July 24th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #12
RawLee

MÁV Cargo is soon to be sold. There are 12 proposals,beginning with the giant Deutsche Bahn, but there are czech,slovak,roman and austrian-hungarian proposals also. The first 5 to get to the second round have to offer the best price, there are no other criterias. In the second round however, develpoment,future plans,etc are also major criterias.
MÁV Cargo was founded last year, with approx. 70-80 billion HUF capital. But ther is a very strange thing: the company owns 13000 wagons,but not a single locomotive. The company employs 1300 employees, and had a 93 billion HUF income ,and 2.8 bilion profit before taxation.

(If it brings money in,why do the sell it?)
Old July 24th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #13
Qtya
sensational

Thank You for the pics. The size is perfect. I just wanted to see how it looks. Long way till I'll get home...

Quote:
(If it brings money in,why do the sell it?)
It happens all the time... Especially in Hungary...

Why not sell Máv Start to Deutsche Bahn? If they want to sell something so badly, why not the passenger carrier...?

(Ok, I know, the germans wouldn't buy it, but If they had more (side)lines would be terminated... )
Old July 24th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #14
Qtya
sensational

Quote:
It's nothing more than that I'm fed up with (sorry in advance) so much slovak and czech topic, and I figured that it'd be good to have our topics too. although I find it extremely hard to find articles and pictures about everything here. It seems no-one is interested in pictorial documentation in this country. I dont know if you have seen the slovak rail topic..full of pictures about reconstructions. I know thing are going on here too(travelled pretty much train before got my car in Dec),but there are no pic...I know some sites about happenings in Bp(metro4,M0),but not very much about thing outside...not even NIF refreshes its site regulary. They say road,highway and rail building/reconstruction..although I only see highways,and even those are rare.
I'm glad there are scandals about vehicle purchases(strange,huh?), because at least,we know about them. I thing the Combinos would be unknown outside Bp,if there werent so much about breaking axis.
We know much about M7,beause the re-engineering of the bridge. But since nothing happens on M3,M6,etc,information is scarse.
Here's an example: I live in Újpest...I only know about the reconstruction of the norther rail connector bridge,because of the scandal about MÁV not waiting for mayor's decision,so we lost EU funds(again) for Aquincum bridge.
Lots of it is true! Its really strange why there are only few photos of the ongoing rail developments. Unfortunately I personaly couldn't name one... (Naturaly I know there are, but they have so low popularaty, as if noone was interested in them...) Only motorways could be sold to the media, or what da' f***?

About the new Aquincum bridge, I heard it lost priority when Mr. Demszky found out the EU only gives funds for the project if there would some environment friendly transportation extension in connection (Like a tram, or trolley line). So it seems like MÁV's unusual hurry with the recontstruction of the northern railway bridge came pretty much in handy for our beloved Mayor... OK, I agree, again its a conspiracy... But who knows...

Last edited by Qtya; July 24th, 2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #15
RawLee

Quote:
Lots of it is true! Its really strange why there are only few photos of the ongoing rail developments. Unfortunately I personaly couldn't name one... (Naturaly I know there are, but they have so low popularaty, as if noone was interested in them...) Only motorways could be sold to the media, or what da' f***?

About the new Aquincum bridge, I heard it lost priority when Mr. Demszky found out the EU only gives funds for the project if there would some environment friendly transportation extension in connection (Like a tram, or trolley line). So it seems like MÁV's unusual hurry with the recontstruction of the northern railway bridge came pretty much in handy for our beloved Mayor... OK, I agree, again its a conspiracy... But who knows...
Thats not the really strangest thing in the story...there dont need to be tram or bus or whatever on the bridge..only the rail would be enough. The whole thing would cost avout 10 billion HUF(new bridge,for 10 billion,and less if EU helps, but they say no???).
About the bridge: its 55 years old..its a "K" bridge, which means its half-permament. the structure above the pillars needs change,anyways. But they wont widen it to 2 lanes, wont make it 2 level...the pillars could hold it, pro's said. In the news,they said "MÁV overtook our decision"...yeah...Máv can do pretty much anything,like overtaking...speed and MÁV...
Have you recently checked google earth ,how the area looks like? they say it would need the demolition of 3 10 floor tenements to make space for the bridge... when I looked at the map, I saw that if the road would follow the railtrack,then no house should be demolished, or max 1.
and on the other side,at Buda, they said that they dont want mayor road beside theihouses...oh yeah..but they want go by car into the city center...our ancestors left the space out in every single case for future developments(Hungária ringroad south,"munkás" future ringroad), but stupid governments sold the land...its very strange to me that when the Great Bouleward was built,noone demonstrated against it,although half of Pest was demolished. Now 1-2 thousand people can halt the development of a city that has more inhabitants than some baltic countries...
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #16
Qtya
sensational

I think You've managed to read it, but we discussed some railway developments earlier, concerning Transportation of Budapest.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=444856
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #17
Qtya
sensational

Quote:
Thats not the really strangest thing in the story...there dont need to be tram or bus or whatever on the bridge..only the rail would be enough. The whole thing would cost avout 10 billion HUF(new bridge,for 10 billion,and less if EU helps, but they say no???).
About the bridge: its 55 years old..its a "K" bridge, which means its half-permament. the structure above the pillars needs change,anyways. But they wont widen it to 2 lanes, wont make it 2 level...the pillars could hold it, pro's said. In the news,they said "MÁV overtook our decision"...yeah...Máv can do pretty much anything,like overtaking...speed and MÁV...
Have you recently checked google earth ,how the area looks like? they say it would need the demolition of 3 10 floor tenements to make space for the bridge... when I looked at the map, I saw that if the road would follow the railtrack,then no house should be demolished, or max 1.
and on the other side,at Buda, they said that they dont want mayor road beside theihouses...oh yeah..but they want go by car into the city center...our ancestors left the space out in every single case for future developments(Hungária ringroad south,"munkás" future ringroad), but stupid governments sold the land...its very strange to me that when the Great Bouleward was built,noone demonstrated against it,although half of Pest was demolished. Now 1-2 thousand people can halt the development of a city that has more inhabitants than some baltic countries...
I know...
I've just read the article: http://www.nol.hu/budapest/cikk/454357/
I'm catching up You know...
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #18
RawLee

So I've created a duplicate...sh*t...so sorry.
To the Aquincum bridge..there were tramways there, but they were closed them M3 metro reached Újpest-Központ.
Here's a good page of lost tramlines:
http://hampage.hu/kozlekedes/tartalo...#elvesztettsin
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #19
RawLee

Quote:
I know...
I've just read the article: http://www.nol.hu/budapest/cikk/454357/
I'm catching up You know...
The part of the bridge that is on the picture actually the main part of the bridge...there is a minor one above the winter harbour.
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #20
Qtya
sensational

I've probably never been there... And until the summer of 2008, again I probably wont be. So pics of the bridge from me, will only come, when the reconstruction start...

Tags
hungary, magyarország, railways

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: