daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Baltimore / Washington DC

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #1
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 137

why do companies overlook Baltimore?

I was curious to see if anyone knows how many companies have relocated, expanded or have considered relocating to Baltimore in the last several years.

Why do I not hear Baltimore mentioned more when companies are looking to relocate? I remember Baltimore was in the running for the Rubbermaid Headquarters, but lost out to Atlanta a couple years ago.

What is it that we are or are not doing to peek the interest of companies looking to relocate and what can we do to better position ourselves to compete and win?

Any ideas as to when we can expect to see a large corporation relocate to the city?
Balmurfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 6th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #2
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 962

Your asking for it with this topic question, ya know....
I can feel his presence....
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #3
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 0

Yeah, I think we should run indeed.
bmore87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #4
HAudidoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmurfan View Post
I was curious to see if anyone knows how many companies have relocated, expanded or have considered relocating to Baltimore in the last several years.

Why do I not hear Baltimore mentioned more when companies are looking to relocate? I remember Baltimore was in the running for the Rubbermaid Headquarters, but lost out to Atlanta a couple years ago.

What is it that we are or are not doing to peek the interest of companies looking to relocate and what can we do to better position ourselves to compete and win?

Any ideas as to when we can expect to see a large corporation relocate to the city?
A good question may be what does Baltimore offer over the cities of the sunbelt and parts of the mountain west? It has historical value in many of its neighborhoods, and 2 great universities/hospitals in Hopkins and Maryland, but really nothing much else stands out above those cities. I can't think of anything else significant that would compel a company to move to Baltimore over Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Tampa, Houston, Phoenix, et. al.
HAudidoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #5
BalWash
BANNED

Location: Bethesda, Maryland (BALTIMORE,MD-WASHINGTON,DC Metro) and Atlanta, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAudidoody View Post
A good question may be what does Baltimore offer over the cities of the sunbelt and parts of the mountain west? It has historical value in many of its neighborhoods, which is a major plus, but really nothing else stands out above those cities.
A beautiful waterfront location.
A rather moderate climate.
A high level of educational attainment.
An increasingly effective mass transit system.
Near total absence of natural disasters.
Baltimore is part of the 2nd most powerful metro area in the country.
Baltimore is part of the 7th largest economy on the planet and 3rd largest in the Western Hemisphere.
Baltimore is 2 hours by train from the most powerful city in the world, global financial capital and largest economy.

Last edited by BalWash; March 7th, 2007 at 01:35 AM.
BalWash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #6
gohorns

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
LOL...why do I even know who you are talking about??
gohorns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #7
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 137

I understand as well.. I guess I wasn't thinking.. but for me that's normal most of the time..
Balmurfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:26 AM   #8
getontrac

We don't have any great natural beauty or naturally distinctive features (The Bay isn't really a visible feature).
We don't have great weather (like the west coast).
We're a rust belt city, with the weight of rust belt history hanging over us--deterioration, segregation, crime, brownfields, lack of land for new development.....

Most of the rust-belters, those that rose to prominence before WWI, are in a similar situation, if not worse: Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Buffalo.

Chicago and to a lesser extent Philly did well because they were the largest and had the best infrastructure (transit) to keep going and the cosolidation occured there. Boston (once semi-rusty) had it's educational institutions (and transit) to pull it through. NYC is the business capital of everything and not worth comparing.

The South and the West coast (except SF) were nothing until after WWII. Those new cities have a fresh slate to work with and don't have to deal with space and preservation and such. They can build as much parking as they want, expand their boundaries without a fight, etc....New Orleans was always an exceptional-type city, and outside of tourism and culture, things aren't/weren't that great for them.

Look at SanFran:

Weather
Natural Beauty
(and more recently BART )

'nuff said.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 05:56 AM   #9
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmurfan View Post

Anti-Growth Left Wing Extremist Tax Guzzling Democrat Politicians and they're Slaves(anti-Growth Extremist Groups, and FALSE Baltimore/Maryland Citizens) are the cause of Lack of Business Growth in Baltimore.
harlem87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #10
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Oh BTW that Getontrac fella is part of the distruction to keep Baltimore from competing against other Upscale cities like Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte, Philly, Boston, etc.
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #11
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalWash View Post
A beautiful waterfront location.
A rather moderate climate.
A high level of educational attainment.
An increasingly effective mass transit system.
Near total absence of natural disasters.
Baltimore is part of the 2nd most powerful metro area in the country.
Baltimore is part of the 7th largest economy on the planet and 3rd largest in the Western Hemisphere.
Baltimore is 2 hours by train from the most powerful city in the world, global financial capital and largest economy.
But why are you folx sooo damn anti-Highways when it comes to completing the Interstate System through Baltimore but have no problem supporting Mass Transit when it is not 100% dependible, and why are you people are soo heavily against Building Multi-Level Upscale Indoor Malls in Baltimore???????????????????
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:16 AM   #12
BalWash
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
We're a rust belt city, with the weight of rust belt history hanging over us--deterioration, segregation, crime, brownfields, lack of land for new development.....
There are certainly different degrees of rust belt city. We're by no means in the league of Pittsburgh, Cleveland or Detroit. We're more educated, wealthier, bigger and we're on a much better block. The problem is that people don't know that because we garnered an equally awful reputation. This is probably a result of the huge crime wave. Washingtonians are also to blame for looking down their collective nose at Baltimore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem87 View Post
But why are you folx sooo damn anti-Highways when it comes to completing the Interstate System through Baltimore but have no problem supporting Mass Transit when it is not 100% dependible, and why are you people are soo heavily against Building Multi-Level Upscale Indoor Malls in Baltimore???????????????????
At this point, mass transit is an increasingly cost effective way to travel.
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:29 AM   #13
getontrac

^Baltimore and those other cities were pretty comparable to us in those categories at the time. Certainly Detroit was a huge and powerful city--in fact at once time it was called the "Paris of the West". Pittsburgh and Cleveland still retain significant educational institutions.

You know, every big 19th century city was more or less a "blue-collar" city, except DC, and it wasn't that big then. The rust economies were based off of strategic geographic location and/or natural resources. Most people were poor and working class. "Middle-class" was a much smaller segment of the population. Then the even smaller wealthy. It's only been since WWII that things have rapidly changed, drastically increasing the size of the middle-class and rendering geographic less important with emerging technologies, cheap oil, and the global economy.

Baltimore hasn't done that bad, and that's with the heroin and crime (really, murder) issues.

Nate
Old March 7th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #14
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 14

DAP moved its world headquarters here.

We seem to be better at developing young companies that then get bought out recently.

Although maybe companies like Underarmour or the Leggmason could buck that trend.
Maudibjr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #15
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
There are certainly different degrees of rust belt city. We're by no means in the league of Pittsburgh, Cleveland or Detroit. We're more educated, wealthier, bigger and we're on a much better block. The problem is that people don't know that because we garnered an equally awful reputation. This is probably a result of the huge crime wave. Washingtonians are also to blame for looking down their collective nose at Baltimore.

At this point, mass transit is an increasingly cost effective way to travel.
But no one can prove that building light rails and buses can attract over 1 million passangers.

And that type of mentality is whats holding Baltimore behind other modern upscale cities that have Major Interstate Highways.
Old March 7th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #16
BalWash
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem87 View Post
But no one can prove that building light rails and buses can attract over 1 million passangers.

And that type of mentality is whats holding Baltimore behind other modern upscale cities that have Major Interstate Highways.
In my opinion, this country's greatest cities all happen to be cities with fantastic mass transit (see: NYC, DC, Boston, SanFran, Chicago and increasingly LA). Atlanta may be attracting a lot of businesses, but the downtown is absolutely awful. I wouldn't trade it for Baltimore's any day. Great, vibrant downtowns cannot be created in a car oriented city, theres not enough room for all the cars on the roads. With gas prices heading up, the cost to the economy of relying on cars becomes increasingly high.
Old March 7th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #17
Hood

Likes (Received): 24

Baltimore is not on the map. Its plain and simple. If you don’t know what is great about a place and there is not that national and global image out there, then we will never attract big companies. Why are we not on the map? A lot of it has to do with our image. A lot of it has to do with our neighboring cities. How can we step out of DC’s shadow? We can’t, it’s the capital and its main industry is government and service. We were once out of their shadow because we offered a different industry, manufacturing. We were blue collar and that is how we differentiated ourselves from DC. But we are not that anymore so we have an even bigger battle now. We are also so close to Philly and also NYC. With so much competition for the big companies, the cards are stacked against us. Those companies are HQ’d in cities that project images of excitement, power, culture etc. We have that and we know it from being local, but these companies and the people who work for those companies don’t know it.

So that is why Harlem is dead on in so many ways with his MD is anti business. Granted they are way exaggerated. But if we don’t offer companies the image of NYC, Philly, Chicago, the other big dense old cities that they need to retain workers if they are to ever move here, we need to use a bigger carrot to get them here. What do we have? Waterfront property in the city, and lots of it. We need to get Westport going and give Pat tax money and tax breaks to get his infrastructure in place. We need to trash that crappy proposed sports complex next to the stadiums and make it office. We need to pour our financial incentives and help to the developers who are developing in and around the water and around existing transit lines so we can start to offer a healthy balance of car and transit to create an urban sapling that will grow and start to provide fruit in the form of tax dollars. We need to keep on nurturing Hopkins and keep them happy. They are our only world famous brand in the City and we need that positive identy. They are the only indsury that attracts the absolute BEST talent in the world. And look at the shit hole location its in? It a miracle that they have overcome their neighborhood to thrive.

We need politicians who have the backbone to make the right decisions and not pander to their constituents who just have their hands out looking for a free ride. EVERYTHING is such a HUGE battle to get ANYTHING DONE here in town because the politicians are at the mercy of the old line baltioreons who yearn for days long gone and are afraid of the future. Afreaid of development. Afriad of yuppies. Afraid of breaking from the same old same old. Look at how always wins our elections…INCUMBENTS. So how can we get better with the same old people in office. But that is the political machine here in town and its self serving and sucks the life out of the good people here in town in so many ways. I helped Nicole Pastore Klien’s city council campaign in the 10th district 4 years ago or so. What I will never forget was hearing from quite a few people in my neighborhood association. “I don’t like her. She is too smart” Well that sums up our problem. We are afraid of putting someone in power who is smarter than we are.

Thanks for listening to my morning rant. I have a traffic calming task force meeting tonight as well as a key higway urp meeting tonight. The traffic task force is promising. The key highway URP is frustration. 2 years and counting trying to get a swath of land rezoned…. That sums it up as to why doing business here in the City is so unattractive.
Hood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #18
getontrac

Don't worry, I'll be having the same rant once I get to my City office

Nate
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #19
JivecitySTL
The Jive is Alive.

Quote:
There are certainly different degrees of rust belt city. We're by no means in the league of Pittsburgh, Cleveland or Detroit. We're more educated, wealthier, bigger and we're on a much better block.
I absolutely love Baltimore, but I have to call you out on this one. I'm not sure where you get your information, but Baltimore is NOT bigger than Detroit, not in city or MSA population. And I know for a fact that Baltimore always ranks very high in infant mortality, STD, crime and poverty rates. I seriously doubt B'more is in much better shape than the other cities you mentioned, although it does appear healthier on the surface.
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #20
BalWash
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JivecitySTL View Post
I absolutely love Baltimore, but I have to call you out on this one. I'm not sure where you get your information, but Baltimore is NOT bigger than Detroit, not in city or MSA population. And I know for a fact that Baltimore always ranks very high in infant mortality, STD, crime and poverty rates. I seriously doubt B'more is in much better shape than the other cities you mentioned, although it does appear healthier on the surface.
Baltimore is part of the Baltimore-Washington Metro Area which is over 1.5 times the size of Detroit.