daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013)

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > General Photography

General Photography General discussions on photography and non urban photos

Old August 25th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #1
Soulbrotha
abdulsharifshoots.com

Likes (Received): 13

Just got a new Nikon d70s

I had to get a new camera because on my way back from South Africa(thats where i've been for the last two months) I lost my digital rebel and all my photos in a New York City taxi. That was the worst thing I've ever done in my life. But, god willing, i'll be going back next summer with the d70. But anyway, I got the d70s body, a sigma 20-70mm, a nikon nikkor 50mm 1.8d lens, a 525 mb memory card, a camera bag, an extra battery, and some other acessories for all under $1100 bucks from ebay's cameta camera....now thats a deal! I have a wireless remote shutter release coming in the mail tommorow, so i'm almost back to where i was with the rebel.

this photoshoot was my first time using the camera, so you can see how easy it is to learn.
http://www.pbase.com/soulbrotha4620/mike
Soulbrotha no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 26th, 2005, 12:44 PM   #2
gohcan
4UT0 B4NN3D

Likes (Received): 0

Welcome back soulbrotha. We really miss you
Sorry for your cam lost, but your new one is really amazing

Your first shoots are really good, nice colors and qualitys. I like these portraits.

I hope to see your new pics on UPC.
gohcan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #3
Soulbrotha
abdulsharifshoots.com

thanks, i forgot to check back on this thread.
Old October 10th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #4
hypermount

Likes (Received): 22

cool gadgets man..that nikkor 50mm is my favourite lens ever!
hypermount no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 02:31 AM   #5
richNcincy

Looking very nice.
Old October 14th, 2005, 07:01 AM   #6
fenix

Congrats. hopefully you will fully enjoy your new toy for years to come, before upgrading again
fenix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #7
ThaQuest

soulbrotha, sorry to hear of your loss, but nice choice of new camera. what made you switch to nikon? why not the canon 350D or 20D? after you get to know the camera, would you mind comparing it to your old rebel, particularly with regards to ISO performance. i have my eye on the D70s also, but may go with canon. have fun with your new toy. cheers.
Old October 18th, 2005, 10:02 PM   #8
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 32

Sorry to hear about your Rebel, I'm actually saving up money for a 350D right now.
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 11:09 PM   #9
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 54

Bad luck with your rebel! Hope you enjoy your D70s as I am enjoying my D70!
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:18 PM   #10
nakedyak

wow man, that really sucks about losing your camera. I think if I lost my rebel I'd buy a Nikon too though.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 04:49 AM   #11
weill
North Roanoke

i know you will probably laugh at me but i have a fuji s5100...plus im only 14 and wanting to become a photographer....i saved up for years, and im happy with what i got, one day ill post pictures from the camera
weill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 05:20 AM   #12
Koreanczyk
BANNED

no one will laugh at you. I always advocate starting with a cheap camera before moving on to an expensive one. 90% of great photography is composition and ideas. Photography first and foremost should convey ideas. So a good composition, well thought out one is of most importance. Developing an eye for photography is crucial, and not easy. Experimenting with different styles is most important. After a few years of this you can move up to a better camera. By then you will be knowledgeable about this art, have your own ideas and you can start to learn about shooting with a better camera. A shite photog with a 10 thousand dollar DSLR will be making shite photos. Period. End of story. You could put a disposable Kodak into the hands of Steve McCurry or Alex Webb and the photos would end up in National Geographic or in an exhibition.
Koreanczyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 07:46 AM   #13
Soulbrotha
abdulsharifshoots.com

i started with an olympus d-380

then i moved up to the toshiba pdr-3320

then i moved up to the fujis5000

then the rebel

now i got the d70

For you're fuji you might find it fun to experiment with lense attatchments, and filters.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 07:47 PM   #14
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koreanczyk
no one will laugh at you. I always advocate starting with a cheap camera before moving on to an expensive one. 90% of great photography is composition and ideas. Photography first and foremost should convey ideas. So a good composition, well thought out one is of most importance. Developing an eye for photography is crucial, and not easy. Experimenting with different styles is most important. After a few years of this you can move up to a better camera. By then you will be knowledgeable about this art, have your own ideas and you can start to learn about shooting with a better camera. A shite photog with a 10 thousand dollar DSLR will be making shite photos. Period. End of story. You could put a disposable Kodak into the hands of Steve McCurry or Alex Webb and the photos would end up in National Geographic or in an exhibition.
Very well said.
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 07:57 PM   #15
weill
North Roanoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koreanczyk
thanks for enlighting me on this, and that seriously would be an interesting article with pictures if those people did take their bst shots with a disposable camera.
weill no está en línea   Reply With Quote