daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Sporting Infrastructure and Events > The Touchline

The Touchline Sports

Closed Thread

Old January 20th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #1
Christopher26
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

As the World Cup draw nearer its time FIFA Bans he VUVUZELA

Rugby Match

vs

Football Match

Notice the differences.

Its time to bring up this issue again because it will hurt the world cup really bad. Watching the african nations cup i couldnt hear the beats of nigeria supporters club because of this stupid vuvuzela. Its ruining the atmosphere of football, how come you dont hear the vuvuzela during a chelsea or liverpool match because the FA wont allow such bullsh-t.
Christopher26 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old January 20th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Christopher26
BANNED

From a blog:

Look at the fans watching rugby game, you can see their reactions to referee decisions, player mistakes, and speed of the game. You can feel the fans. And they are enjoying the game absolutely.

Why is this difference? Absa Rugby Stadium Manager Gary Parker-Nance said that vuvuzelas were definitely not allowed at the stadium during rugby matches. Here is what he said;
"This is because many of the rugby patrons have complained about the noise that emanates from the vuvuzela and we have to take into consideration what the majority of people want."
If you read the article, you can see that some people say vuvuzela is the part of all South African sport and some say it is part of South African football. First, they should decide what is this vuvuzela? Is it really a part of their sports/football culture or not and then we can think on it.

http://banthevuvuzela.blogspot.com/
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #3
juzzy

Likes (Received): 11

good luck
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #4
rulani
Sport Crazy

Dream on.

Joburg is Africa
rulani no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #5
Rosaudio
Cstm titles are for dicks

Likes (Received): 14

So basically you want FIFA to turn an African WC into a European one?
Rosaudio no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #6
ChilenoFutbol

Likes (Received): 26

agreed. i personally dont like it but its part of their culture, just like south american countries have the drums to cheer, africa has vuvuzelas
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #7
Christopher26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosaudio View Post
So basically you want FIFA to turn an African WC into a European one?
No the singing and dancing by the supporters club of nigeria are not european if u have been watching the african nations cup you wont be able to hear them.
This world cup will be great if it doesnt have the vuvuzela the quenches the atmosphere of the game.

nigeria will bring their drum and singing and europeans will bring their singing, south africa can have the vuvuzela but an early round exit from the world cup will quench the noise of the annoying vuvuzela which has no purpose to the game of football.

You south african rugby lovers i bet u love it when u dont hear the sound of the vuvuzela at rugby games.
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:40 AM   #8
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 8

Well, you're going to hear my one at the Durban semi, whether you like it or not!
Ron2K no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:25 AM   #9
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else

Likes (Received): 51

Please close this thread.

Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:16 AM   #10
SharksBoy
Good Luck South Africa!

Sorry Christoper it not your decision to make. You have to respect South African Soccer Culture. Well I dont even complain about English FA song shit or even fire flare.

Mute the TV if you dont like hear of Vuvuzela.
SharksBoy no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:19 AM   #11
crazydude

Likes (Received): 34

Not a chance should teh vuvzela be dropped. Part of the WC is getting the 'feel' of another country. I loved that "Red Army' that South Korea had in 2002. I bet that no one would tell the Netherland not to bring cow bells into the stadiums, hell I've seen flares at stadiums in Europe.

Plus, I bet that once the fans are in SA a whole bunch will be using the vuvuzela!
crazydude no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2010, 10:21 AM   #12
t-bang!

Likes (Received): 2

How dare you ask a rugby stadium manager about the Vuvuzela? the dude has hadly been to soccer games, besides i've seen a lot of Kaizer Chiefs matches at Absa and most fans were blowing that shit-out. You get a life, cause we've been blowing those Vuvuzela's for years now and it aint stopping any time soon. OUR SOCER CULTURE IS BIGGER THAN A FEW OPINIONATED EUROPEANS WITH THEIR IDEALS ON DEFINITION OF "the beautifull game" ESPECIALLY ON HOME SOIL (and please tell them to leave their suits at home) we might spill them with CASTLE

Last edited by t-bang!; January 21st, 2010 at 10:27 AM.
t-bang! no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:37 AM   #13
GetDownAdam
Nomadic Student

As much as South Africans want to include the rest of Africa in our celebration, it's important to point out that Africa is a huge continent with a myriad of cultures. It's really offensive for someone to come and try and tell us how to run the World Cup. And trying to say that you'll allow Nigerians to sing, but South Africans should shut up because our team isn't that good... hardly in the spirit of the game. It may not be your idea of a good time, but the reality is that Vuvuzelas are what makes a soccer game in SA special. I wasn't really for them until I got a supporter pack for Christmas. I've been blowing that thing daily in anticipation of the greatest event of the decade.
GetDownAdam no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:43 AM   #14
Lydon

Likes (Received): 2111

They said they are NOT going to ban it. Get over it people.
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:17 PM   #15
african biohazard

Likes (Received): 1

We've been awarded the WC ,and we'll do it our way - now piss off and leave us alone
"It's not like I had a story and then I was trying to pick a city. It's totally the other way around. I actually think Johannesburg represents the future. What I think the world is going to become looks like Johannesburg." Neill Blomkamp
african biohazard no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:59 PM   #16
Christopher26
BANNED

I know you south africans are proud of the way you guys conduct the game of football is south africa. But this is a world cup not south african cup. Blowing the vuvuzela kills the rest of the world's culture of the way they cheer for the game. Yes vuvuzela can be blown during south africa games but when it comes to other games it shouldnt.

The thing i am argueing about is that south africa celebrate soccer in their fashion but let the rest of the world celebrate in their fashion not drowning their fashion with the vuvuzela.
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:08 PM   #17
Christopher26
BANNED

its kinda funny how u guys ignore the rugby part.
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:25 PM   #18
Lydon

You don't seem to understand the point many South Africans are trying to bring across.

The game is hosted in different countries so that the world can experience the culture of the hosts. Whilst many countries may come together to compete, the idea is to portray the culture of the country hosting it. In this case it is South Africa, and South African soccer culture involves vuvuzelas.

I despise the things myself, but understand why banning them would feel like an insult to many South African soccer fans.
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:33 PM   #19
Christopher26
BANNED

But lydon not all the games will be attended by south africans. What kind of culture did we learn from germany?? how to speak german or how germans are not nazis nomore?

Watch the highlights of the 1998 world or 2002 world cup, its the atmosphere that bring out the people, the vuvuzela is anti-atmosphere cuz it extinguish the voices of the fans.

The mexican wave have been so part of the world cup since the 1970 world cup in mexico, the vuvuzela will be one of the worst thing to happen to the world cup in its history!
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:51 PM   #20
Lydon

So if not all games will be largely attended by South Africans, then what's the problem with the vuvuzelas? If it's the South Africans using the vuvuzelas, and they're not going to be using them in large numbers at some of the games, then it surely is a non-issue in itself?

Whilst I understand you may not like the vuvuzela, and may feel the Mexican Wave is a superior form of support, you need to keep in mind that many may disagree. If one country's supporters feel its unfair that the vuvuzela drowns them out, what's stopping them from inventing something louder?

All I'm saying is that people need to be mindful that they're in South Africa. Billions and billions of Rand was forked out to build stadiums and other necessary infrastructure, which was paid for by South Africans themselves, and the least visitors can do is not complain about local traditions. The point of hosting the world cup in South Africa is to give visitors the South African experience. The vuvuzela is a part of that experience.

Closed Thread