daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General discussions > Regional development

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 2nd, 2005, 02:35 PM   #1
NorthStar77
Born to run

Likes (Received): 5

At last - new subway trains

Brighter, quieter and a decidedly modern design - Oslo's new subway trains have begun to arrive.

The price tag for the modernization will run to NOK 2.6 billion (USD 401.6 million), but Oslo Transit says that commuters won't be stuck with the bill.

On Tuesday the new trains were unveiled to the press. From January 26 they will begin to roll into service, first with two trains of three cars each.

Staff inspect one of the new arrivals.

They will run on all but two of the city's routes during the test period. In 2007 the new models will begin to appear in earnest.

"We have ordered 189 new wagons. If all goes as planned the delivery will be complete during 2009," said Øystein Svendsen, subway director at Oslo Transit.

Light, airy and quieter - but a challenge to keep clean.

"There will be more departures because the cars have less need for maintenance and are easier to repair than today's fleet. Plus the new cars are equipped with internal displays and spoken messages about the next stop. There is much less noise and the design is lighter and superior. And not least, the cars will be easier for the handicapped to use," Svendsen said.

But the lighter seats and wall also mean an extra challenge for Oslo Transit - both in the form of daily grime and extensive vandalism.

"Tagging (graffiti) is a huge problem and it is clear that the new trains are attractive. We will not have internal camera surveillance but we will continue to have many guards," Svendsen said.

The new trains are a vivid contrast to the tired old red model. Oslo's subway trains are not always under ground.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...cle1147186.ece

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2005, 02:41 PM   #2
Ringil
The Big Cheese

Likes (Received): 32

finally!

didnt know staff was so in to this tho
Ringil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 02:44 PM   #3
NorthStar77
Born to run

me neither lol
Old November 2nd, 2005, 02:58 PM   #4
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

I'm actually here and there inspecting new trainsets when I feel like it.

The new Oslo trains are extremely cool. One of my favourites actually, since they're so sleek and simple, and yet so well designed. Berlin has had the same trains for some time now, but in yellow colour of course.

The trains seem to have the exact same interior as the Metro-trains in Copenhagen actually - at least the chairs (same model, same coulours), the yellow poles etc. The difference is, of course, that the Oslo trains are operated by a driver, but the CPH trains are automatic.

26/01/06!
Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:28 PM   #5
Cafo

Likes (Received): 294

I hope they learn from the Danish metro that the seats are already tearing apart...

How much of the "subway" is underground?
And who's supplying the trains?
Cafo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:38 PM   #6
Chilenofuturista
Zug->für 'ne bessere welt

Likes (Received): 274

Congratulations to our Norwegian Friends! Well done!
Old November 2nd, 2005, 09:28 PM   #7
Spearman
NWO Henchman

Likes (Received): 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafo
I hope they learn from the Danish metro that the seats are already tearing apart...

How much of the "subway" is underground?
And who's supplying the trains?
Not very much actually. But it moves underground from Majorstua to Tøyen (west to east) under the central part of Oslo. I think it's about 7km.

The supplier is Siemens afaik.
Spearman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 12:53 AM   #8
NorthStar77
Born to run

Yeah it's Siemens. And it's the same trains that operate the Vienna metro. They didn't take any chances this time, and bought something that is used extensively before.

The tunnel also continues past Carl Berners Plass to Hasle. And there are several other smaller stretches of tunnel, like Storo-Ullevål, most of Trosterud-Ellingsrudåsen, etc. A total of 16 stations is underground, but a majority of the stations is above ground, as shown on this map by urbanrail.net:
Old November 3rd, 2005, 01:06 AM   #9
DenverDane

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringil
finally!

didnt know staff was so in to this tho
staff is everywhere!

Cool, the older trains also look outdated (like the old Danish S-trains). Good for Oslo!
DenverDane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 01:09 AM   #10
NiceGuy
Freedom will prevail

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar77
They didn't take any chances this time, and bought something that is used extensively before.
That is actually quite amazing - seems like they have finally learned from some of their many previous mistakes with untested technology. I do not like this new white color though; they should stick to the traditional red.
NiceGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 09:40 AM   #11
NorthStar77
Born to run

^ I've heard others saying the same. I personally don't have any feelings regarding the colour of the trains, maybe because I'm not from Oslo. For me the red colour represents the current old, malfunctioning, dreary trains, and I think a new colour gives the feeling of something new.

I don't really care how the trains look, as long as they work properly. I believed it was Teknisk Ukeblad that had interviewed both some technical experts and some designers. The technical experts were very satisfied with the new trains, while the designers were very unhappy. Touche