daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Creative Corner > The Drawing Board > Scale Models

Scale Models Showcase and discussions



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 8th, 2012, 02:32 AM   #21
Wisch
Registered User
 
Wisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 264
Likes (Received): 8

thnx i ended up printing it at 13%
__________________
check out my photo stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Wisch no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #22
asimadeel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 25
Likes (Received): 0

Wow really amazing models looking forward for some more creative work done by you.
__________________
elysian real estate
asimadeel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #23
made in NL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 877
Likes (Received): 123

me too, its so amazing to see what you will come up next.
made in NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #24
grayhouse
Registered User
 
grayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 29
Likes (Received): 2

The 2 weeks turned into 6 weeks, but she's finally done. I would have had
it done sooner but the roof kept giving me fits. I swear more than once I
imagined myself jumping off it. It's always the little things that kill you.

You'll notice that the completed model is a little different than the plans. I
decided after I completed the model that the red elevator core that would
have been visible through the lobby windows just isn't working without
the true perspective you would get from clear glazing so scratch that.

And please remember this is the Union Carbide building not the JP Morgan Chase
headquarters. It still pisses me off what JP Morgan did that building.
Those guys sucked all the minimalist aesthetic right out of it. Damn
you JP Morgan. You turned what was a great study in minimalism
into some kinda faux post modern touchy feely pile of crap.

Union Carbide Building - 270 Park Avenue New York


Plans: 1/1700 set scaling to 14%........Thanks for looking and happy building.




__________________

TopoGigio liked this post

Last edited by grayhouse; April 16th, 2012 at 02:41 AM.
grayhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #25
skyscraperlover9595
Certified MiG killer
 
skyscraperlover9595's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,879
Likes (Received): 163

Incredible! Absolutely stunning Seagram Building!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
lets just build a massive block of pure concrete.... nobody will be able to knock that down.
skyscraperlover9595 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #26
Russian Sam
Real name Илья (Ilia)
 
Russian Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Saint-Petersburg, RU
Posts: 1,007
Likes (Received): 319

Absolutely fantastic work!!!
But, as I guessed grayhouse does not know the scale of his own models. Grayhouse, if not so difficult, calculate your right scale of the buildings. People needs to know.
__________________
All my models on Flickr
Russian Sam está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #27
grayhouse
Registered User
 
grayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 29
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Sam View Post
Absolutely fantastic work!!!
But, as I guessed grayhouse does not know the scale of his own models. Grayhouse, if not so difficult, calculate your right scale of the buildings. People needs to know.
Excuse me Russian Sam, but I did clearly state at what scale to print (see above). The
tower is 707 feet or 8484 inches. At 1:1700 this will give you 12.676094117647057
centimeters. However if you really feel the need to be **** about it set your scaling to
14.2% but you will need Photoshop to do this.

For future reference Use this online scale conversion calculator. It's easy peasy.
http://jbwid.com/scalcalc.htm
grayhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #28
made in NL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 877
Likes (Received): 123

Wow I really respect your skill, love the facade and the way you got the colors, its very detailed.
made in NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #29
made in NL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 877
Likes (Received): 123

just build you Union Carbide Building in 1:1700, and it came out really well.
Do you have any more buildings in mind?
made in NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #30
MHX
Registered User
 
MHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 306
Likes (Received): 49

This is great. It looks so real. Well done!
__________________
My model thread:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1467158
MHX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #31
grayhouse
Registered User
 
grayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 29
Likes (Received): 2

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like

NL: Since you're the first to say you actually built something of mine I'm glad
it turned out well. I've been a little worried that people may have trouble.

I was thinking about doing Lever House another Gordon Bunshaft design, but
I'll probally do 277 Park ave. the old Chemical Bank building across from the
UCB first. A nice companion to the UCB, but not nearly as well executed.

I have been itching to get over to the west coast and do this little known
gem. A building I kinda grew up with, but I can't seem to get off Park Avenue.

grayhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #32
made in NL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 877
Likes (Received): 123

can I post pics of the result, or do you rather want me to post you in pm or my own thread? since i dont want to post to much crap on your thread.

Yes it is done, but very precisly work. it is not for everybody to build so detailed on such a small scale. Going to make you seagram right now.

And as far as park ave goes, I think it has numerous skyscrapers that are realy underrated.

goodluck
made in NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #33
grayhouse
Registered User
 
grayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 29
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by made in NL View Post
can I post pics of the result, or do you rather want me to post you in pm or my own thread? since i dont want to post to much crap on your thread.

Yes it is done, but very precisly work. it is not for everybody to build so detailed on such a small scale. Going to make you seagram right now.

And as far as park ave goes, I think it has numerous skyscrapers that are realy underrated.

goodluck
No problem NL, you can post it here if you like. Yes I do have a
tendency to make things a little to complex. Its one of the reasons
I take so long to design my buildings as well as build.

For instance I don't build the majority of my buildings with folded
corners (the large vertical pieces). The edges are sanded to a
45 degree bevel and than joined with angled styrene which makes
for a very clean edge, but this changes the interior dimensions of
fitted parts. In other words I'm drawing up two entirely different
plans. One for me and one for you guys. To make a long story short
I'm very interested to see how your's turned out because it's not the
plans I built from.
grayhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #34
made in NL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 877
Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayhouse View Post
No problem NL, you can post it here if you like. Yes I do have a
tendency to make things a little to complex. Its one of the reasons
I take so long to design my buildings as well as build.

For instance I don't build the majority of my buildings with folded
corners (the large vertical pieces). The edges are sanded to a
45 degree bevel and than joined with angled styrene which makes
for a very clean edge, but this changes the interior dimensions of
fitted parts. In other words I'm drawing up two entirely different
plans. One for me and one for you guys. To make a long story short
I'm very interested to see how your's turned out because it's not the
plans I built from.
It was no problem for me, but I will make them ate bigger scale also, maybe 1:850 or something , just to maximise pleasure haha.
I also added some things on de pepsi bldg. hope you like it.
I dont like to fold also.I rather cut the whole thing and then glue it.
It makes the corners sharper.

Anyway for now here they are in 1:1700

Shot at 2012-04-15
made in NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #35
grayhouse
Registered User
 
grayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 29
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by made in NL View Post
It was no problem for me, but I will make them ate bigger scale also, maybe 1:850 or something , just to maximise pleasure haha.
I also added some things on de pepsi bldg. hope you like it.
I dont like to fold also.I rather cut the whole thing and then glue it.
It makes the corners sharper.

Anyway for now here they are in 1:1700

Shot at 2012-04-15
Great job on both. I like what you did with the Pepsi Cola and I
can certainly see now that the UCB looks infinitely better without the
red core which means I will have to rebuild mine, or maybe I can do
an overlay if I can sand down the overlay thin enough.

Both my UCB and Seagram are at 1:1500 which does give a little
more detail and makes assy a little easier.
grayhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:49 AM   #36
made in NL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 877
Likes (Received): 123

im glad you like it, which building will be your next one?
made in NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 06:23 AM   #37
grayhouse
Registered User
 
grayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 29
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by made in NL View Post
im glad you like it, which building will be your next one?
I'm working on 277 park, formerly Chemical Bank at the moment, but the more
I study it the less I like the building. It's just an architectural mess. I know
Emory Roth & Sons were trying for another UCB across the street, but they
failed miserably. It has some interesting massing going on, but it has no soul.
No clearly defined direction. IMO It's your typical E.R & S building. They
built modern because it was profitable not out of any faith or conviction.
What 277 really needed was an architect that believed, but I guess they
were all working at SOM.

But since I started on the building I'm gonna finish it, but I don't know if I'll
end up building it though. We'll see.
grayhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #38
made in NL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 877
Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayhouse View Post
I'm working on 277 park, formerly Chemical Bank at the moment, but the more
I study it the less I like the building. It's just an architectural mess. I know
Emory Roth & Sons were trying for another UCB across the street, but they
failed miserably. It has some interesting massing going on, but it has no soul.
No clearly defined direction. IMO It's your typical E.R & S building. They
built modern because it was profitable not out of any faith or conviction.
What 277 really needed was an architect that believed, but I guess they
were all working at SOM.

But since I started on the building I'm gonna finish it, but I don't know if I'll
end up building it though. We'll see.
anyway, i really hope you do finish and built it!
goodluck on it
made in NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:30 PM   #39
made in NL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 877
Likes (Received): 123

any progress on the model yet?
Im looking your tread almost every day. I love your models!!!
made in NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #40
grayhouse
Registered User
 
grayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 29
Likes (Received): 2

here's where I am on 277 park ave so far. Two more sides, the roofs
and then I can start on the plans. But given the scarcity of original
documentation that I have been able to find on the building alot of the
details are subject to change as the research continues. I know I will
mot be doing the original shade treatment the building had. Most of the
windows it appears had 2 seperate shades at one time. A white shade
and a black shade (probally a dark tinted shade) which IMO looked hideous.

Last edited by grayhouse; June 13th, 2012 at 02:39 AM.
grayhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium