daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General discussions > Photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 29th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #1
skog

Likes (Received): 0

I went for an early morning drive..

This morning i was up early and went out at 6 o'clock.

Took some pictures:

First stop is a viewpoint in the Ekeberg hill on the east side of Oslo. You can see the whole town from here.

I took a lot of pictures from left to right.

In this picture you can almost see all the way to the next county Bærum. Nice overview of the harbor.

A bit to the right we find the Bjørvika area covered well in other threads.
The picture shows the container harbor that will be moved, the Opera house under construction (More on that further down), the E18 motorway and the huge roundabout. If everything goes as planned all the big roads you see here will be in a tunnel on the sea floor. Then the Fjordcity project will really move on. I will drive on that roundabout later on. If you look closely you see that if you go on top of the roundabout and go right you will end up on a 4-lane road going over Oslo S (Central Rail Station) and thru two buildings. In the basement of the tan building knows as Galleri Oslo is the main bus station.
The Plaza hotel is also dominating the skyline as usual.

More to the right, this picture shows the Oslogate street and some very old residential buildings. This is the area where the city was first founded. If you look closely, between the warehouse and the buildings is a grey area. These are medevial ruins from the first settlements! There are more of them if you walk down to the left and across the steel bridge you can see all the way to the bottom left in the pic.

This picture focuses in on the Rail station, Plaza hotel, Galleri Oslo and so on. Also the dual carriageway is visible.

Further to the right, the inner eastern part of the city becomes visible.

Now we're looking out towards the Groruddalen valley.

Now i've zoomed in on NorthStar's area. The Vålerenga Church is clearly visible.

Zooming in on the Opera House construcion.

This plaque is at the viewpoint. It says that Edvard Munchs "Scream" was painted in Berlin in 1893. The backdrop of the painting is the view from where i was standing. Sadly this painting was stolen a few months ago and just this morning i read that the picture is probably destroyed. That would be a tragedy as it is considered national heritage.

Graffiti is common all over town. This is a shed that belongs to one of the utility companies probably. It might be connected to a giant sewage treatment plant that's inside the hill. Or it might be the entrance to a ballistic missile silo

The viewpoint. Dont fall over that fence, its a huge drop.

Now i've driven a bit further down the road to snap a photo of these apartment buildings called "Oslo Panorama". They are probably extremely expensive. They overlook the whole city plus more of the fjord than from the viewpoint i was.

Now i am down in the city, and i am driving on an onramp to get on the dual carriageway i showed you earlier. The plaza is right infront of me. Looks good with the morning sun and the blue sky.

On the motorway heading for the Opera and the big roundabout. The Plaza is now to my immediate right.

The Opera building will be taller than i thought. I am approaching the roundabout.

Opera building east side.

The sign with all the contractors. Also a pic of what it will look like. I don't know how they're going to get the sea to look like a swimmingpool though..

Taken from the west side.

The famous Ekerberg Restaurant.

This building that looks like a small fort is an old sailors school. It is owned by the government and is protected. The US wants to move its embassy there. Hopefully that won't happen. I wouldnt like to see that building full of antennas, satellite dishes and spy gear with an american flag on top.

That's it
skog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:56 AM   #2
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Thanks a whole lot, skog!

Everything seems so peaceful and calm, and the colors are just beautiful! Very nice views, and excellent accompanying text!
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 06:15 AM   #3
Hviid
Positivist

Likes (Received): 79

Very nice pictures! Oslo (and pretty much all of Norway) is very beautiful! I love the big hills/mountains in the background
Old April 29th, 2005, 09:38 AM   #4
NorthStar77
Born to run

Likes (Received): 5

Thanks alot for this thread Many familiar sites there! Thanks especially to show the status on the opera

Quote:
This morning i was up early and went out at 6 o'clock.
Quote:
Now i've zoomed in on NorthStar's area. The Vålerenga Church is clearly visible.
http://www.student.dtu.dk/~s011574/S...o/EPSN0267.jpg
I was probably standing in the shower at that moment
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:03 PM   #5
skog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar77
Thanks alot for this thread Many familiar sites there! Thanks especially to show the status on the opera

I was probably standing in the shower at that moment

Cool, next time i'll get a picture of you singing with your showercap on!
Old April 30th, 2005, 12:25 AM   #6
Jo
Iron horse rider dlx

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skog
Sadly this painting was stolen a few months ago and just this morning i read that the picture is probably destroyed. That would be a tragedy as it is considered national heritage.
******* wankers! That was a great painting.
Jo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #7
Hviid
Positivist

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by skog
Sadly this painting was stolen a few months ago and just this morning i read that the picture is probably destroyed. That would be a tragedy as it is considered national heritage.
Reminds me of the danish movie "Rembrandt" which was about a couple of crooks/thieves who stole a Rembrandt painting worth more than 100 million kroners... they were going to sell it but the people that were going to buy got murdered... so then they were going to burn it and destroy it, but decided instead to just return it back to the police ... who knows.. maybe the same thing could happen here? ?
Old April 30th, 2005, 05:19 AM   #8
skog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL_4ever
Reminds me of the danish movie "Rembrandt" which was about a couple of crooks/thieves who stole a Rembrandt painting worth more than 100 million kroners... they were going to sell it but the people that were going to buy got murdered... so then they were going to burn it and destroy it, but decided instead to just return it back to the police ... who knows.. maybe the same thing could happen here? ?
Well here's the thing. A little over a year ago there was a huge armed robbery in Stavanger. A bunch of guys attacked NOKAS, a company that handles money. Basically its a big central for counting bills and stuff.

To delay the police from responding quickly they actually took a lorry and put it outside the exit from the police stations carpark and put it on fire. The few policemen that were out on duty at that time arrived at the scene and one of them got shot dead. The thieves were heavily armed. They got away with millions.
The cops used a lot of resources investigating and they managed to arrest a lot of guys. Then all of a sudden two guys actually run into the Munch museum and took off with Scream and another painting. I think maybe Madonna? They just took em off the wall and ran out! Big big scandal.

The cops think that these guys were hired by the NOKAS robbers to take some heat off them. Now most of the NOKAS robbers have been arrested and sources say that these guys were so afraid of getting caught they possibly burned the paintings to get rid of the evidece.
Old April 30th, 2005, 05:47 AM   #9
Jo
Iron horse rider dlx

Likes (Received): 13

Okay that seriously makes me angry!
Jo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 10:25 AM   #10
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

skog, at the time of the theft of The Scream from the Oslo Museum, we had a thread going on about it. Everybody was incensed!

The thought that the thieves, obviously unable to sell the stolen paintings because *everyone*, not only people in the art world, knows they were stolen, should resort to destroying the paintings makes me just sick with misery.

Amd thanks again for the great morning tour!!!
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 12:27 PM   #11
AtlanticaC5
Right Here, Right Now

Likes (Received): 10

Great pics skog, I love the light of the morning sun And the story about the painting is really really sad
Old May 1st, 2005, 02:36 PM   #12
sander
User

Nice pics. Oslo looks so nice because of hills, water and nice architecture... And sad to hear about that stolen painting. I also like that painting...
sander no está en línea   Reply With Quote