daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2006, 08:38 PM   #261
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 61452

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle kid
And what is that glass building next to ontario tower that looks like it is of equal size?
Well observed... I have no Idea.

I like this map. Some of the labels are dated but there you go:

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2006, 08:40 PM   #262
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

I think they should be renovating drapers gardens and knocking down that brown crap next to it.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 08:59 PM   #263
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6415

what brown crap??

I have to say that from those pictures that wjfox showed, the building didn't actually look too bad. I think it was mainly the concrete bit on the top of the building that kinda spoiled it for me. And as I said, even it is one of the better 60's buildings, London can do better.

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 09:19 PM   #264
ESSEXgeezer
///////////////

Likes (Received): 0

I think the 'brown crap' he was reffering to was the building on the left of this pic

Drpaers should stay. Quality 60's architecture, which may be few and far between, but it definatly deserves its place in the city.
ESSEXgeezer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 09:26 PM   #265
Intoxication
Everythin bubble of water

Likes (Received): 21256

Stunning!!!!!
Intoxication no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 09:51 PM   #266
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESSEXgeezer
I think the 'brown crap' he was reffering to was the building on the left of this pic

indeed i was.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:54 AM   #267
London
New York

my skin colour is brown
Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:03 AM   #268
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13297

That's Angel Court.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 03:39 AM   #269
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by London
my skin colour is brown
We don't like u brownies round here son

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Old January 25th, 2006, 02:19 AM   #270
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Skyscraper News.com:

23 Jan 2006 > St Georges Wharf Tower Set For Sept Launch

St George's Wharf Tower looks like being the next residential skyscraper to go up in London following the not so quiet announcements by St George to potential investors that they expect to start marketing apartments in the tower in about September 2006.
The skyscraper has been designed by Broadway Malyan and first saw the light of day back in 2001. It occupies one half of the Effra site, a much fought over potential high rise development area that has been marked as such since the 60s. Proposals have often fallen by the wayside for this in the past, the mid 70s saw a tower here dumped because of the economic conditions and in the 80s a public inquiry prevented another scheme getting the green-light.
St George fought a public inquiry over this with Lambeth who opposed the tower on the grounds of both height and the lack of affordable housing with Lambeth scoring a point on the social housing but St George getting the thumbs up from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister.
The current phases of St Georges Wharf such as Flagstaff House have proven largely successful with the vast majority of apartments sold out. No doubt mindful of the success that Ballymore have had in the Isle of Dogs that has proven there is more demand for people who wish to purchase space in prestige tall residential developments than there is mid-rise projects the moves by St George to realise the much fought over phase of the development are hardly surprising.
When the original apartments at Flagstaff House went on sale back in 2001 they were considered tall for London at the time with the building reaching 72 metres tall but height inflation has quickly eroded this to the extent that half of the units at Pan Peninsula Tower in Docklands are over this height.
The height of the apartments helps push up revenue even more. The average revenue for a 50 floor building reaches over £600 per square foot by the time you hit the 40th floor with lower floors being about the same whatever the building height is but once hit the penthouse levels studies show that they sell for an average of a whopping £945 per square foot for floor 50 with an increasing premium for height on a shorter building meaning more pure profit for the developer. The premium for shorter penthouses on shorter developments meanwhile has fallen as a greater number of tall residential projects come online superceding the previous generation such as Montevetro.
All of this bodes well not only for St George but also for other residential developers such as Beetham who are set to hear about whether their tower will get the go ahead in the coming days and are always quick off the mark once they get it and Multiplex who are showing off their scheme for Elephant and Castle.
With economics like this driving the construction of ever taller residential towers with developers having an economic need to build ever taller you can expect others to be hot on the heel of St George - after all, why hang around when there's such great amounts of money to be made?

Old January 25th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #271
cello1974
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

How about this suggestion: Build them all over here in Frankfurt and make some greenery for the inhabitants of London instead! I think it is a great idea, isn't it?
cello1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #272
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

You're absolutely right...why didn't we ever think of that...in fact, why don't we just build the projects in London, then airlift them to Frankfurt! Genius!!!

Frankfurt is already doing well for itself in terms of skyscrapers, now its Londons turn to establish itself as Europe's sksycraper capital!

Old January 26th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #273
Peyre
Waiting for 122

wow fab heron renders there

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ldntower/
Peyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 07:28 PM   #274
Newcastle Guy

A new TRIPLE tower scheme is due to be unveiled in waterloo closer to summer, dubbed the 'three sisters'
Old January 26th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #275
birminghamculture
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Another feckin cluster

There gonna have to join up sooner or later - the trip on the thames in the future will be a delight
birminghamculture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 03:27 AM   #276
london lad

Likes (Received): 2327

But cello- London already has some of the greenest most open space for a major world city as it is- I think we should still build our skyscrapers here rather than send then over to Frankfurt (nice city btw) especially as one of Europes biggest urban parks is going to be built for the Olympics- mustn't be too greedy with regard open spaces- lol
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 03:39 AM   #277
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 27

i need to get my butt to london...
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #278
cello1974
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad
But cello- London already has some of the greenest most open space for a major world city as it is- I think we should still build our skyscrapers here rather than send then over to Frankfurt (nice city btw) especially as one of Europes biggest urban parks is going to be built for the Olympics- mustn't be too greedy with regard open spaces- lol
Yeah, I know that. But even though, London will overtake Frankfurt with all those scrapers - which would suit so well into Frankfurt skyline!!!! Ok, we have lots of great projects, but they won't be finished before 2012!
cello1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 11:28 AM   #279
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13297

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad
Yeah, look how green London is:-

[img]http://i1.************/mmdg9f.jpg[/img]
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #280
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

man...humans are like a plague...spreading out their cities, encroaching green country side with buildings and tarmac...just realised that for the first time... London is still one of the greenest, eco friendly cities in the world tho...so kudos!

Btw, whats all this about a triple 'three sisters' tower project...first I've heard of this...is there any evidence or news about this? There seems to be about 10 different clusters going up around London, and while I like it, I kinda wish they'd build up one before starting another.