daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Transport and Infrastructure

Old September 15th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #1
Klausenburg

Likes (Received): 648

Metrorail

Metrorail is the commuter rail service in the major urban areas of South Africa. It is a division of the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA), a state-owned enterprise which is responsible for most passenger rail services in South Africa. The Metrorail system consists of 471 stations, 2,228 kilometres (1,384 mi) of track, and carries an average of 1.7 million passengers per weekday.(wikipedia.com)

East Wits (Johannesburg)

West Wits (Johannesburg)

Durban

Pretoria

Cape Town
Klausenburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 15th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Klausenburg

Likes (Received): 648

Why I opened this thread? It is said that SA never had real mass transit etc...But I belive Metrorail was a very good idea, and even the system is now run-down, it could become something like Paris RER, Berlin S-Bahn, Budapest HEV, etc. What is your opinion regarding this?
Klausenburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 75

I'm not aware on how all those rail system function but I agree that Metro rail can be a proper rail system and with SARCC's focus I think it will definately serve the purpose. The next focus should be to extend the lines to cover more areas or even use taxis as feeder to the rail system.
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #4
waltjie

Likes (Received): 46

To change Metrorail into anything that closely resembles "proper", you will need to first shift the mass-consciousness of [as quoted] 1.7 million users. It is disgusting, un-kept and run-down service.

Johannesburg - An African Class World City!
waltjie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #5
Lydon

Likes (Received): 2006

If run by competent people it could be an excellent service.

We can only hope that some day in the future that is the case.
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #6
nomnolence

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjie View Post
To change Metrorail into anything that closely resembles "proper", you will need to first shift the mass-consciousness of [as quoted] 1.7 million users. It is disgusting, un-kept and run-down service.
Not entirely true. When I lived in CPT I used the metrorail every day to get to work. It was a 5min walk to the station, and a 2min walk afterwards. At just over R100 a month it was absolute bargain.

I also used the trains to get around during the day. The bugger is the trains stopped running fairly early, and that at night it wasn't safe. But during the day on most lines there weren't any safety issues that I picked up beyond that of using trains anywhere else in the world.

Yes, upgrade are welcome. Some proper ticketing and signalling... and strikes really suck... could definitely help, but I think the biggest thing is getting more stations and extending the lines. Also, making it possible to travel between different lines further out of CPT instead of having to travel into town to connect.
nomnolence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:28 PM   #7
The E.N.D
There's cake, right?

Likes (Received): 247

Any hope of new train models being used for the new stations?A major deterrent for me has been those God awful,time warping SAR Class 5M2s.I really like the 10M class which I've never seen in Joburg.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM   #8
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 75

I don't think so as they upgrading the 10M5 only at the moment. for Joburg and Pretoria

Old February 4th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #9
Phil_Cpt

Likes (Received): 0

The City of Cape Town indicated that future housing developments should occur near public transport sectors. It was also indicated that new trains will be needed to replace the existing ones. However, what I don;t understand is why on earth the trams were ripped out?
Old February 5th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #10
CleverPete
The Cape Town Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomnolence View Post
Not entirely true. When I lived in CPT I used the metrorail every day to get to work. It was a 5min walk to the station, and a 2min walk afterwards. At just over R100 a month it was absolute bargain.

I also used the trains to get around during the day. The bugger is the trains stopped running fairly early, and that at night it wasn't safe. But during the day on most lines there weren't any safety issues that I picked up beyond that of using trains anywhere else in the world.

Yes, upgrade are welcome. Some proper ticketing and signalling... and strikes really suck... could definitely help, but I think the biggest thing is getting more stations and extending the lines. Also, making it possible to travel between different lines further out of CPT instead of having to travel into town to connect.
it is now R128 and is still a moerse bargain, very reliable, i've had trains on schadule 97% of the time over the course of the year
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #11
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 324

From what i have read, both Cape Town and Durban are actively going to expand and enhance their rail networks. I am not sure of the plans in Cape Town, but in Durban they are currently building 6 additional stations.

Plans over the next 5 years include the opening of the new route on the northern line that goes to Bridge City and the extension of this line in Inanda with 3 additional stations. The main northern line will gain two additional spurs. The first will go into the massive new Cornubia development that will be home to over 100,000 people. The plans are for 5 stations within Cornubia, with the last station right next to the N2 highway and the Umhlanga Ridge new town centre.

The second spur will connect the King Shaka Airport to the network.
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #12
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Cpt View Post
The City of Cape Town indicated that future housing developments should occur near public transport sectors. It was also indicated that new trains will be needed to replace the existing ones. However, what I don;t understand is why on earth the trams were ripped out?
Memorandum of understanding signed between PRASA and Cape Town

MEDIA RELEASE
NO. 762/ 2009
17 NOVEMBER 2009

Executive Mayor Dan Plato, Mr Piet van Zyl, the City’s Executive Director for Strategy and Planning and Mr Tshepo Lucky Montana, CEO of the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA) today, 17 November, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in terms of which the City of Cape Town and PRASA will seek to maximise the development opportunities associated with land they own around railway stations and along railway lines.

This MOU will open the way for the construction of high density housing on well-located land within Cape Town owned jointly by PRASA and the City.

The MOU also commits both parties to further develop the areas around stations by encouraging a range of different social and economic activities in these environments. These activities can be made viable and sustainable through integration with the rail network. Such mixed-use areas have the potential to create unique environments for promoting community access to socio-economic opportunities within rail corridors, and will also support a range of densified housing developments.

Cape Town is faced with the dual challenge of managing the need for sustainable growth and development, while at the same time meeting the increasing demand for new housing. Increasing residential density is a key strategy for meeting these demands. The City needs to maximise the use of the very limited land – especially well-located land - that is available for building homes for those in need. Well planned, higher density residential buildings are the most viable option to effectively and efficiently solve the housing challenge in Cape Town. Well-located land refers to land in close proximity to public transport routes, activity routes and corridors where a range of amenities and conveniences are available.

This kind of strategic development is also important for making public transport systems viable and encouraging developments which are not car dependent and where people can access facilities, amenities, conveniences and opportunities on foot as well as by public transport. Higher densities are also more conducive to sustainable local economic development opportunities.

The MOU envisages a closer working relationship between the City and PRASA to ensure that the City’s proposed urban growth corridors are supported by rail-based public transport where this exists. It will also ensure that where there are opportunities for new passenger rail services, that the development of these corridors and services are aligned.

This MOU supports the Regional Rail Plan (a joint plan of the City and PRASA), the City’s Integrated Transport Plan (ITP), the City’s draft Spatial Development Framework and the City’s draft Densification Strategy.

The signatories to this Memorandum are intent on promoting corridor densification and mixed use nodal intensification along designated rail and growth corridors and in particular at stations. In doing so, they:
1. acknowledge the importance of rail in supporting the public transport aims of the City of Cape Town

2. will promote land use densification along current and proposed rail corridors, supportive of the City’s growth corridors, in a manner that promotes rail use and encourages modal integration

3. will strive to intensify station precinct development through the encouragement of viable and integrated mixed use activity nodes which create unique sustainable community environments in partnership with all spheres of government, the private sector, the international community and civil society

4. will promote access to socio-economic opportunities within the densified corridors and nodal precincts

5. will provide access to a full range of housing opportunities that are supportive of sustainable communities

6. will jointly identify strategic landholdings within the ownership of PRASA, and its subsidiaries Intersite and/or the City that can advance the aims of this MOU

7. undertake to jointly determine the best use of all identified landholdings and develop these landholdings in line with Government’s socio-economic objectives and in accordance with all appropriate statutory planning and development processes

The City and PRASA have agreed on an action plan and joint planning committee to implement the aims of this MOU, including the prioritisation of the development of a maximum of three key stations. This will allow the two parties to align their planning, including in the City’s north-eastern growth corridor.

“This MOU represents a major step forward in making full use of the available urban land resources in the City and PRASA’s portfolios as well as moving towards a more efficient, functional city design based on high density targeted development,” said Executive Mayor Dan Plato.

Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #13
Phil_Cpt

Thanks Mo
Old February 20th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #14
Urban Rambler
The man in the street

Likes (Received): 17

In my mind I can see so much potential in Metrorail. I don’t know if the problem is lack of vision on the company’s part or lack of funding. If some of the outlying stations were connected to other outlying stations it would make a hell of a lot of difference. Stellenbosch or Strand could so easily be connected to Heathfield via the Cape Flats. In my mind anyway.
Urban Rambler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:33 AM   #15
Urban Rambler
The man in the street

Thought I'd be clever this morning and bought a weekly from Simon's Town to Strand so I'd have full access to the line this week as I'm going to be doing a lot of travelling. Well, it doesn't work that way. The bastards wouldn't let me exit at Cape Town this morning (had to sneak through a different turnstile). I know I'm not allowed to use the ticket more than twice a day, but is it not my prerogative where I get out the goddamn train if I've paid the fare? Nice way to start a week. Thanks Metrofail.

Last edited by Urban Rambler; February 22nd, 2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:35 AM   #16
Lydon

Likes (Received): 2006

WTF? Where is the logic in not letting you off of it?
Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:18 AM   #17
Phil_Cpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Rambler View Post
Thought I'd be clever this morning and bought a weekly from Simon's Town to Strand so I'd have full access to the line this week as I'm going to be doing a lot of travelling. Well, it doesn't work that way. The bastards wouldn't let me exit at Cape Town this morning (had to sneak through a different turnstile). I know I'm not allowed to use the ticket more than twice a day, but is it not my prerogative where I get out the goddamn train if I've paid the fare? Nice way to start a week. Thanks Metrofail.
If it doesn't say Cape Town on the ticket, you can't get off at Cape Town Station. How about this I can't buy a return from Retreat to Cape Town, I have to buy two singles. Why I ask? The reply: "we don't know, head office told us". Guess they don't want people to use the a return on a cape flats and simonstown route!
Old February 22nd, 2010, 01:49 PM   #18
Urban Rambler
The man in the street

Pathetic. They have a stupid ticketing system so apply one off rules to certain parts of it to cover themselves.

To conclude with my experience today: I just changed my ticket at Cape Town Station. Didn't even get a refund of the difference. They were quite reasonable about it though. I was given a very good piece of advice by a staff member: If you want full access, buy a Simon's Town - Strand ticket and supplement it with a Salt River - Cape Town ticket. That way you can get on and off anyway you like for + / - R130 a week.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:51 AM   #19
Urban Rambler
The man in the street

Does anyone know what's up with that burnt out train in the depot near Salt River? I don't recognise the rolling stock.
Old March 19th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #20
Urban Rambler
The man in the street

Can’t Metrorail/Prasa/someone do something about the miles and miles and miles of shit littered alongside railway lines and stations? The northern suburbs is particularly shocking.