search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #81
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5018

Woah, interesting. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:31 PM   #82
Burt

Likes (Received): 2

Final Four

Richmond, at the moment known as Hoopstown USA, was the only city to have two teams in this year's NCAA Tournament -- The University of Richmond lost to Kansas in the Sweet 16 at Denver. Virginia Commonwealth University went on to DEFEAT Kansas in the Elite Eight at San Antonio.

Tonight, at Reliant Stadium in Houston, Shaka Smart coaches his VCU Rams as they go up against Butler in the FINAL FOUR.

Game time: 6PM (EDT) on CBS.

Win or lose, everyone's having a hot time in Richmond.

GO RAMS.

Last edited by Burt; April 2nd, 2011 at 07:43 PM.
Burt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:22 AM   #83
udan

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
Richmond, at the moment known as Hoopstown USA, was the only city to have two teams in this year's NCAA Tournament
Congrats to Richmond on the good showing, but Cincinnati (Xavier & Cincinnati) Los Angeles (USC & UCLA), and Nashville (Belmont & Vanderbilt) also had two teams in the tourney the year.
udan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 02:41 PM   #84
spencer114

Likes (Received): 443

Richmond had two in the Sweet Sixteen. That's what Burt is referring to.
spencer114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 02:59 PM   #85
spencer114

Reaction to the loss. Really gorgeous video (the one that doesn't have a "roit #" title is really very pretty) ...

I tried to make it to a party across town but the tear gas and cops kept me away I guess it was cool to get my first taste of tear gas. It isn't cool that the effects of it lingered for about 6 blocks.

Last edited by spencer114; April 3rd, 2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:24 PM   #86
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Reaction to the loss. Really gorgeous video (the one that doesn't have a "roit #" title is really very pretty) ...

I tried to make it to a party acrtoss town but the tear gas and cops kept me away I guess it was cool to get vmy first taste of tear gas. It isn't cool that the effects of it lingered for about 6 blocks.
I was on Broad when we defeated Kansas....talk about impressive. So many people everywhere. However, the crowds acted much better at that time than last night. Very disappointed in the behavior of the students last night. But that's just me.

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:55 PM   #87
spencer114

I was on Broad for the Kansas victory party too. Honestly this looks about the same. I saw some cars get damaged at that one and was sprayed down with a fire extinguisher.

The RPD way overreacted and created the "riot" by putting up such a brutal front. Seriously, full riot gear? Why does the RPD even have that? Helicopters in the air for three hours? Every street closed?

The same level of chaos (probably less) would have existed without the police even being there. They didn't prevent anything, just wasted a ton of money and ruined my night by filling my entire neighborhood (6 blocks away) with tear gas. I left Popkin where I had dinner and my buddy and I thought that there was a car fire or something in the immediate area. As soon as I got outside my eyes started burning. Another block west and my nose and eyes were burning. We still thought it was just a fire or something until we got within about 2 blocks of VCU and got a full face full of it, and were caught up in a crowd of people running east.

The police officers were totally bitchy too. They need to be reminded that their's is simply a service industry job and need to work on articulation. A vague hand gesture and a "go that-a way" isn't communication when asked "why is the street closed? Can I get across town on Franklin or Marshall?" Some thing like " I'm sorry but for crowd control purposes the area is closed to the public. You wont be able to get across town on any of the streets in the immediate area" would have been helpful.

Shame on the media too for calling some 20 year olds beating up a skate board and burning a paper box a riot.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:12 PM   #88
Burt

Quote:

I tried to make it to a party across town but the tear gas and cops kept me away I guess it was cool to get my first taste of tear gas. It isn't cool that the effects of it lingered for about 6 blocks.
Wow, Spencer! Win or lose, I never dreamed they'd have THAT hot a time in Richmond.

The combination of mounted, black-suited, jack-booted city and state police forces strikes me as pretty excessive. The crowd disorder should have been controlled in a less threatening manner.

Great video and well scored.
Old April 4th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #89
Durhamite

Likes (Received): 70

Good ole VA. Reminds me of the 1989 or 1990 debacle during the Labor Day Greekfest in VA Beach. I took away impressions of Birmingham and Civil Rights movement clashes, it was a mess. Somehow, we managed to get of there to Norfolk but it was a "wow" moment indeed; similar to this but the scale of the Greekfest event was much larger.
Durhamite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #90
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1086

We had just another fun night in Indianapolis after another Butler NCAA win. It was pretty busy in the Broad Ripple bar and nightlife district near Butler's campus -- but nothing out of control at all. Butler and its fans expected to win -- and the team continues to be all business heading into Monday night's Championship game. If they win on Monday -- who knows what might happen. VCU's student population is about seven times the size of Butler's though -- so there aren't as many students to go crazy in Indy. It was great to see VCU knock off all of those BCS teams one after another. Butler's defense made the difference though in keeping VCU from getting open 3 point shots (after the first five minutes) and taking control of the game. It was a fun game. I never thought Butler would be back after its run to the Championship last year. Now, I think they've got a good shot at beating UConn. We'll see.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #91
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. Excessive force, yes. Poor behavior of students on a national headline, yes. I was directly in front of the tear gas at the Kansas game...it wasn't so bad imo, and drifted away pretty fast. Just tasted like really strong sour candy to me lol.
I think both were wrong....however, the police force is a touch more incorrect this time with the handling of it all. I live directly in the heart of all of this; And in a weird way, I'm going to miss seeing Richmond so unified and proud. Always next year

--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #92
540_804
VA is for LOVERS!

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRQ View Post
Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. Excessive force, yes. Poor behavior of students on a national headline, yes. I was directly in front of the tear gas at the Kansas game...it wasn't so bad imo, and drifted away pretty fast. Just tasted like really strong sour candy to me lol.
I think both were wrong....however, the police force is a touch more incorrect this time with the handling of it all. I live directly in the heart of all of this; And in a weird way, I'm going to miss seeing Richmond so unified and proud. Always next year
What the officers used after the Kansas game was, fortunately, not tear gas. Its a form of pepper spray they use for crowd control, much less potent than actual tear gas.

Typically speaking the pepper spray substance isn't that bad (relatively speaking, of course) unless you get a direct shot to the eyes. Usually the only problem with pepper spray is the bad taste that you experienced, and occasionally you get a tingly (or burning, if you're directly sprayed) sensation on your skin, lips and in your sinuses. Its made of capsaicin, a chemical found in chili peppers, which is where it gets its name and why it tasted like sour candy to you.

The tear gas, on the other hand, is quite painful, even when you're not in the direct vicinity of it when deployed. I was about 10ft away when the pepper spray was deployed and didn't bat an eye. I was about a block away when the tear gas was deployed and was in an incredible amount of pain. When you get hit with tear gas, its almost impossible to open your eyes.
540_804 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #93
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Well I'm just always wrong I guess

--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #94
spencer114

I was at the Kansas rally. I was beside a van with six or so kids on it. Some dork in the crowd handed a fire extinguisher to one on the kids on the van. The crowd scrambled to get away yelling "no!". We weren't fast enough and got covered by a very acrid and sour green fog. By the time I was about a half s block away some people not so close to the scene started saying that the cops were using tear gas. They were not. The RPD in both cases handled the crowd well (kept a distance making targeted arrests and assisting those in need). It was the state police that came in a ruined everything.

All that said, in with you JRQ, I'm going to miss all of the pride that was on display, really state-wide. It's a shame that the media had to run with a negative story. Calling it a riot is, well...a riot! It's like the world is back at peace now that everyone in the metro can find reason to hate on the RVA and VCU again.

Last edited by spencer114; April 5th, 2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old April 5th, 2011, 03:41 AM   #95
540_804
VA is for LOVERS!

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
I was at the Kansas rally. I was beside a van with six or so kids on it. Some dork in the crowd handed a fire extinguisher to one on the kids on the van. The crowd scrambled to get away yelling "no!". We weren't fast enough and got covered by a very acrid and sour green fog.
Haha, I was really close to you when that happened. I was on the sidewalk just beside the van (in front of Goshen Market or whatever its called) when it happened. There were about 4 officers in the market when it happened and they went out and grabbed the extinguisher pretty fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRQ View Post
And in a weird way, I'm going to miss seeing Richmond so unified and proud. Always next year
Quote:
All that said, in with you JRQ, I'm going to miss all of the pride that was on display, really state-wide. It's a shame that the media had to run with a negative story. Calling it a riot is, well...a riot! It's like the world is back at peace now that everyone in the metro can find reason to hate on the RVA and VCU again.
I agree with both of you guys on this one.

In my 4ish years in Richmond, I don't think I have ever recalled an instance where there was such a strong unity and solidarity among Richmonders. For those few days/weeks, it didn't matter if you were black, white, rich, poor, VCU student or not, everyone could agree on one thing: the Rams.

As silly as it sounds, you could almost feel it in the air. A sort of pride and optimism. If I wore any of my VCU clothes, strangers would always spark up a conversation about the team. There were instances where I would walk down the street, someone would see the Rams shirt and yell out "Go Rams!". It was pretty cool.
540_804 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #96
Joe the Photog
one digital rebel

Likes (Received): 1

A few of my own to share....

A few of my own to share from Richmond if you don't mind --

image hosted on flickr

Richmond Train 2 by Joe the Photog, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Richmond's Main Street Station by Joe the Photog, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

River City Diner by Joe the Photog, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Science Museum of Virginia by Joe the Photog, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

UmarPK liked this post
Joe the Photog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #97
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 777

Quote:

As for urban renewal, most of the buildings in the foreground have been lost. Richmond has lost tons of buildings but the thing that Richmond did right is that (for the most part) they didn't tear down stuff with out a specific plan to replace it (sometimes with crap like an interstate, other times just a bigger building).

The stuff in this photo was replaced by the Downtown Expressway and a couple high-rises and a canal.

If you want to compare this to the aerial posted a few items down, this view is the area at the top right corner of that photo.
Actually about 75% of the stuff in the foreground is standing. Just to give you an idea, the oddly roofed building on the left is the hat factory
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #98
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 777

Whats Richmond Without Shockoe?
The Slip

the bottom

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Main Street Station

canal walk
image hosted on flickr

CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #99
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Thanks for all of the recent contributions! Great job at showcasing a few of the finest in Richmond

I'll add a few here myself and just want to give special credit to a flickr photographer, Sky Noir. Great photos, so please check him out.

Main Street Station in Shockoe Bottom-
image hosted on flickr

Crossings by Sky Noir, on Flickr

Portion of CBD in lights-
image hosted on flickr

City of Richmond, Virginia by Tony Shi., on Flickr

Taken from Belle Isle within the James River-
image hosted on flickr

Summer Storm-Richmond Virgina by Joshua Gunther, on Flickr

Looking out towards historic Broad Street-
image hosted on flickr

Broad Street Blues: looking west along Broad Street from the observation deck on the 19th floor of City Hall during the start of evening rush hour. by L.A. Mathews, on Flickr

Beautiful twins-
image hosted on flickr

Richmond, Virginia by L.A. Mathews, on Flickr

Portion of the massive VCU Medical Center in the background-
image hosted on flickr

Over the Bottom, Up the Hill by taberandrew, on Flickr

Havana 59 in Shockoe-
image hosted on flickr

Havana in the Rain by Sky Noir, on Flickr

Rail Bridge over the James River, built in 1919-
image hosted on flickr

James River Rail Bridge by Sky Noir, on Flickr

Old Richmond City Hall, located near the State Capitol Building downtown-
image hosted on flickr

Stone and Clouds by Andrew Rolfe, on Flickr

Heading to the city-
image hosted on flickr

NS at night by TimWitt, on Flickr

I'll leave where I started, with my favorite place in the city- Main Street Station:
image hosted on flickr

Main Street Station by Code Arachnid, on Flickr

--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #100
Burt

Richmond's Landmark Theatre is undergoing a $50 million renovation.

ALTRIA Corporation (Philip Morris USA, headquartered in Richmond) has purchased $10 Million naming rights.

Built in 1926 as a Shriners auditorium, it was originally called THE MOSQUE. It was purchased by the City after World War II and its name was changed to THE LANDMARK in deference to Muslims who found the Shriner's selection of the original name offensive.

With 3,600 seats, it is the largest theatre between Washington and Atlanta and has one of the widest proscenium arches in America.

Now under management of Richmond CenterStage, the giant ALTRIA THEATRE will bring in the largest Broadway touring productions for extended sit-down engagements begining with the 2013-2014 season.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/n...er-ar-2050810/

Last edited by Burt; July 16th, 2012 at 12:30 AM.